If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Modern fittings

Discussion in 'Locomotive Engineering M.I.C' started by southyorkshireman, Apr 25, 2008.

1. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    Where does all the modern kit get shoe-horned? I know it varies, but how much room for example is there below the cab floor etc? For example how big is an air vac relay valve, I've seen diagrams but never the actual article

I'd be curious to know how something as small as the 94xx has managed to fit everything in even without air brakes!

2. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

Every class of loco is different.....some harder than others..... #-o

3. gw driver

gw driver New Member

On 9466 we have taken great care to hide as much of the kit as possible so that it does not spoil the look of the locomotive. Obviously the man machine interface equipment needs to be in the cab but all the control equipment is hidden out of sight underneath the lower cab floor and is accessible from underneath the loco. The batteries providing the power are located underneath the wooden cab floor.

The wiring from the front TPWS antenna to the rear of the loco is run in the existing ATC wiring conduit.

When the loco is viewed from the rear, the AWS receiver and mounting bracket can be seen and if you look very carefully the battery changing socket is visible.

The biggest piece of kit on view on the exterior of the loco is the black OTMR enclosure. This has to be readily and easily accessible and so we decided to locate it under the bunker on the firemans side on the loco. This kind of balances the GWR ATC Battery Box which is fitted in the same position in the drivers side. The additional plumbing for the OTMR has been run out of sight where possible. Where it is on view in the cab, again we have tried to make it look as if it has always been there.

The NRN radio equipment has been fitted into a custom designed enclosure and sits on the cab rear shelf when 9466 is on the main line but is removed from the loco when it is not required.

Out of interest approximately 400m of cable was used during the installation - and all of it rather expensive as it had to meet Railway Group and Company Specifications.

I am hoping to get some photos up on the website in the next couple of weeks.

I hope this helps.

Best regards

4. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    That was great thanks!

Very informative and scary when you visualise all that cable!

5. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Student
    Hi

Agreed with SYM thats alot of cable, imagine the amount used for a castle or king.

Alex

6. gw driver

gw driver New Member

Funnily enough I should not think it is too much more.

The only really significant differences between a King and 9466 are that on a king the front TPWS aerial is further away from the control kit, the AWS receiver will be at the front of the loco rather than being near the control kit and there is of course a second TPWS aerial on the tender. The majority of the control equipment items on a king will be in roughly the same relationship to each other as on 9466.

Regards,

7. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Student
    Thats what i was thinking the extra cable for the aerials being further distances.

Alex

8. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    On bradley manor, a lot of the wiring for the TPWS was hidden in the shell of the old ATC gear, including running the wiring through the ATC conduit.