If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Magic moments

Discussion in 'Bullhead Memories' started by olly5764, Mar 26, 2012.

1. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Every once in a while, we have a day that on its own is more than enough to justify why we enjoy our hobby. One moment in particular was the SVR spring gala of 2012.
    Having had a firing turn on friday evening, on 4566 which was enjoyable enough on its own, but on saturday, I met up with a friend of mine off the Bodmin and Wenford railway and spent the next day and a half showing her around, taking in the Wonderfull GNR coach, 2701, the cream teas on the observatin saloon, and as much of the railway as we could. Having said goodbye to Nickie, I was about to go for one last trip myself, when I got contacted for an unexpected guards turn.
    The reason for the turn was the need to move Bittern's support coach using 828, the move was planned to be Driver only working, but we discovered that the coach had no vacuum brakes and so needed to go unfitted, thus requiring a guard.
    Eventually the loco arrived and attatched to the coach.
    "Unfitted?"Asked the driver, "Can we do that?"
    "You can with a guard Alan," I replied, thats why I'm here."
    We hauled the coach out of the down yard, and ran to the Rock siding to run round, then sat there to allow the last down train to pass us, then wait for the last up to get to Bewdley. While we waited, the owners rep handed me down a cup of tea.
    Eventually we got the instruction to draw down to the peg. As we rolled forward, the board came off and we were away.
    The 113 year old engine easyly got to grips with its light weight train, and took off rapidly. We were very quickly up to line speed, and the loco's crisp beat was ringing out across the valley.
    The sun was begining to set and the yelow tint to the failing spring sunlight shone in a beautiful manner off the surface of the water at Trimpley. Rolling across victoria bridge, something which I do hundreds of times a year, was just breath taking and then we pounded up the bank to the picturesque Arley station.
    I think the streach of line from Arley to Highley is the prettiest on the railway but in this light, it was just stunning. We had a clear run through Highley and once again, the little loco was chopping the exhaust beats off as we climbed up from Highley station to Miners crossing, round the severe curves of Highley bank.
    Only having a light train and not having to stop meant we were catching the down Passenger (Not often a 113 year old goods engine gets held up by an A4!!!) and we were checked at Hampton Loade.
    "How long Jaimie?" I asked of the bobby
    "Ten minutes maybe" He said,
    So I went to sit in the van. the second i shut the window, i heard bells, so re-opened the window to see the road come off, and a token held out to the crew, and we were off again.
    We rolled along the Waterworks and over sterns, before Alan gave the loco some more steam, and we climbed away towards the closed Eardington halt.
    As we passed Crossing Cottage, I gave my friends Bill and Paula a wave, before we coasted down through the short tunnel atKnowle sands and were brought to a halt at the home signal.
    We were checked as normal onto the shed and were stabled in a vacant road, my exciting, inpromptue turn, which will probably be the only one i ever do with this wonderfull little engine was at its end, but i was walking away with a memory that will last a long time!
    Many thanks to everyone who made this turn and the whole of this gala possiable!
    Olly

2. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Surprised no replies to this one. I've just found it.

Hobbies can be a wonderful source of Magic Moments. And this one must have been superb to experience.

My last behind steam was as we rolled through Southampton at walking pace, non stop from Waterloo in not much over 84 minutes, behind 34067 last July. Brought back so many memories of the 1960s for me.

3. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    ...and I was that signalman!

Whilst Bittern checked 828, she still had quite a pace on hence my very conservative guess of 10 minutes proving totally wrong - I didn't want to say 'two minutes' and ten minutes later have you still sat there whilst the Bridgnorth man faffed around!

It was a magic evening, waiting in the halflight for 828 to come out of the south.

4. horace

horace Member

That was a great story.Thanks for posting.

5. olly5764

Engineer
    Yes, it was a good call, but events like that add colour, life and a smile to a story.

6. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

I remember sitting in Bridgo yard watching 828 roll in with that very working. A very atmospheric end to a great weekend.

My magic moment is a very simple one. It is simply watching the first proper fire go into 2857 at Bridgnorth. I'll never forget the feeling of immense pride and awe seeing her "coming to life" for the first time in nigh on 17 years, with the sun glinting on her long boiler barrel. That moment when you realise that you have achieved an, in all honesty, ridiculous goal, for me is unbeatable.

7. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    That's just reminded me of a similar moment for me; seeing the first fire go into Wadebridge after restoration, and then at the end of the successful steam test Dave Mitchell playing with the unmistakeable Bulleid whistle and hearing the sound of it echoing around Bodmin. Absolute magic.

8. olly5764

Engineer
    I can immagine. The culmination of many years hard work and anticipation in that case!

9. guard_jamie

Signalman
    This seems an appropriate thread on which to share a 'magic moment' I had last thursday on the SVR. I went over to Arley after lunch for a couple of hours with the thursday gang, many of whom had gone off to Bewdley to help with crowd control on the visit of the Olympic Torch. Those of us that were left were digging out a ?? year old pile of rubble and earth left by the installation of Arley's sewage degrader tank thingy. In this weather, I am sure that you can imagine this made for hard work!

We packed it in by 4, and I decided that rather than just head home I'd have a ride down to Bridgnorth and back - well away from Olympic crowds!

Unusually, the Valley's GWR set was in use as one of the service trains, due to the requirement for an extra set for the Olympic train (made up of Mk1s). It comprised 6 carriages of Churchward and Collett design, including of course the Valley's beautiful toplights, all hauled by the perfect loco for the job - Large Prairie 5164 in full GREAT WESTERN livery. What a time capsule!

As it was the last train north from Bewdley before the Torch, it was exceedingly quiet - under 10 people aboard, including Guard and TTIs. I boarded Churchward corridor third No. 8930, naturally had a compartment all to myself, which was happily on the eastern, i.e. valley facing side of the train. Being an early corridor carriage the compartment had its own door, so I opened the window fully, and the one facing the compartment on the corridor side. Closing the compartment door with the top of the window in it cracked open produced a lovely through draught on such a hot day.

After that, sheer bliss! The prairie was in fine form with a sensible length train, and we ran smartly to time all the way up the valley, much of the sections traversed retaining their telegraph poles and wires. It was an absolute timewarp. GW carriage, GW loco, GW line, quiet tranquil stations, practically empty train - I drank in every minute of it.

At Bridgnorth, I ran into an acquaintance and we talked shop (signalling) for a few minutes, and I took a wander over the footbridge to see Sir Keith gleaming in the sun, the early stages of a fire emanating from its cavernous chimney. A friendly chat with the bobby through the window of the 'box, and it was time to reboard the train.

It was another smart run up to Arley, 5164 making light work of its load, and we got there right on time. I watched the train depart, and walked back down past the Harbour to my car on the other side, reflecting on the wonderful 1930s cameo that I had just been a part of.

10. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    IMG_2630em.JPG I had one of those 'moments' today. I drove up to 'the old home town' to see the Duchess through wearing a 'Royal Scot' headboard. As a kid, the north end of platform No.3 at Lancaster (Castle) station was my favourite spotting location. There was a water column there which had a wheel for its valve control. The wheel made a great seat to watch the procession of 'Semi's' 'Prinnies' 'Scots' 'Jubs' 'Fives' 'Brits' and 'Clans.' When 46233 swept through this afternoon ... I was back there in my anorak, with a combined volume and notebook. Precious memories re-ignited.

11. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Your anorak still fits you??? ......................
    :fish2:

12. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    My short list and note they all have one thing in common, also not in any particular order.
    On the footplate of 5407 over Ribblehead having come from Hellifield.
    On the footplate of a 2 foot Baldwin 2-8-2 in the wilds of Patagonia.
    On the footplate of a 25NC through Hwangi Game Park.
    On the footplate of a Garratt over the Victoria Fall Bridge.
    First time driving Ol49 right to the stop in a bay at Poznan station.

13. richards

richards Part of the furniture

... and I hope you actually needed 46233. Still got the red pen?

Richard

14. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    LOL ... nope ... cleared my 'semi's by 1962.

6233 got me in trouble at school though. I attended Ripley (later Ripley St. Thomas) school which has the WCML along it boundary. You could actually 'spot' from some of the classrooms on the 1st floot. On that particular day I looked out of the window to see 6233 in shiny LMS red rolling by on the down line (being dragged from Crewe to Ayr). I was so surprised I stood up, pointed and shouted "LOOK AT THAT!" The english master was not amused and dished out 100 lines of 'I must not disrupt lessons by shouting loudly at passing trains.'

15. olly5764

Engineer
    Brilliant! lol, Love it!

16. guard_jamie

Signalman
    Had an absolute stunner of a 'magic moment' last night.

I'm training at Bewdley South Box at the moment, one of the most enjoyable elements of it being its distance from the station, and the fact that with Absolute Block and Acceptance Lever working in each direction, you aren't having to go outside with tokens. So it feels far more like a 'main line' box.

Last night I was in there for the Diner and Fish and Chip DMU service. By 10.30-ish the last of the daylight was gone and we were sat in the box with only the lamp over the Train Register desk alight, the golden glow shining on the polished levers and brass plates. The DMU was back and tucked up in bed so we were able to give the diner the clear road through to Kidder, but it made an unscheduled stop to set down. There is a strong searchlight in the yard at Bewdley to dissuade would-be scum, and as the loco took off in the evening chill this light illuminated the impressive pure white exhaust wonderfully, with the sure beat of the GW loco (7812) providing aural accompaniment. It thundered past us and as it did so the Fireman opened the firebox door to put a last few round to get them up to the top. Facing away now from the searchlight the exhaust was now a rich orange, pulsating in brightness as the draw of the beats aerated it.

The loco passed the bracket signal and the peak came - the bracket signal, starkly silhouetted against the orange exhaust, the fireman visibly working and the driver steady as a rock at the controls, with the exhaust of the loco and the rumble of the carriages still passing the box completing the experience.

I have several particularly cherished memories of my railway enthusiasm and volunteering - now I have a new favourite.

17. Mattie Bee

Mattie Bee Member

Civil Servant
    One of my magical moments was March Last year. I Guarded a Driver Experiance with a difference. 3850 in BR Black with a long BR Bauxite Goods on the Great Central. This was before the Photo Charter the day after.I got a breif sence of what it must have been like to be a Goods Guard. Steadly trundling through the contryside The unmistakable bark of a Western Heavy Freight far ahead and the constant clang and rattle of the wagons infront of me.Pure Magic!

18. Jamie C. Steel

Jamie C. Steel Member

I think the nicest day I've had was during our 2012 winter gala, I was working in Quorn & Woodhouse signalbox from 14.00 until 21.00 on the Saturday. As night began to settle it got very atmospheric, with trains being belled in and out every few minutes. On a few occasions we had quite a few trains standing at signals, and I ended up having six trains in my patch at one stage! Fantastic night!

19. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    A few spring to mind.

The Platelayers' Special going from Port to Rhyd Ddu and back. The journey with Lyd and Tal on front, the shunt at Port with Upnor as the sun set and the banter with all the volunteers on board. Fantastic.

Liverpool Road after the first Thomas event running with the goods set and recreating a bit of the sites history in the process.

Liverpool road on the early turn on the Garratt event with all the whole site gradually waking up as steam was raised.

Duncan

PS: If anyone knows how to remove attached pics that would be great. Uploaded the wrong ones!

Attached Files:

20. Midland Red

Midland Red New Member

We were at war with the Germans (second time round). My pal liked the Beano, dropped handlebars and the LMS. I liked the Dandy, straight handlebars and the GWR - but we remained pals for years! Living in Shrewsbury we had many trains full of troops (from over the pond) and at Harlescott Crossing we used to yell 'any gum chum' and after the train had passed and the gates reopened we collected a veritable collection of sweets, chocolate and gum! It didn't take the signalman long to realise what was happening and he collected the goodies before opening the gates and shared them out - keeping some for himself of course.

More recently it has been great to arrive and depart from Salop station on the footplate, though on the Hereford road.

All golden moments.