If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LNER Corridor third 1623

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by 61624, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thinking about it I can see it looks similier to E8083, the experimental Mk1 at the SVR with revolving seats.

2392 likes this.
  2. 8126

8126 Member

I always thought the continuous curve of the Mk1 side profile was lifted from the Bulleid coaches, whenever there's a Bulleid coach in a rake of Mk1s it just blends in. The Thompson has flat sides curving in at the bottom, but the windows are much closer to the Mk1 style.

I'm slightly ashamed to admit that until I saw the word 'scumbling' in one of the posts it hadn't occurred to me that it wasn't wooden skinned. Beautifully done!

3. Sawdust

Sawdust Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Graining done for us by Dave Simpson of the SRPS.

Sawdust.

4. 2392

2392 Well-Known Member

A little belatedly, here are a selection of photos of the launch of 1623 "offically" into service on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway on Saturday the 24th of September. Just like the launch of Gresley BTK 3669 last year when we had a "Gresley" launch her in the person of Tim Godfrey [Gresley's Grandson], we had a "Thompson" launch 1623 in the person of Tom Walters', Thompsons' Great Nephew. Tom had some interesting memories of Uncle "Ned" as he was known within the family. In return LNERCA and the Thompson B1 Society made Toms' day, as he had a ride in both 1623 and on the B1 [6]1264. Unfortunately on the first leg of the teak trains run we had the LMS Black5 [4]4806 [​IMG] . So Tom is seen in the photo of the presentation taking place on the footbridge on Pickering Station, from left to right you see; Tom Walters, Murray Brown [who helped save 1623] and Nick Stringer Chairman of the LNERCA. And we also see Tom cutting the ribbon across the door to launch 1623

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/hhbpav43l65i ... HT43V8E-6a

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Martin Perry likes this.
  5. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    No I do not currently volunteer
    All the last designs of 'Big 4' coaches are very similar to the MK1 in general appearance

2392 likes this.
  6. 2392

2392 Well-Known Member

Indeed Mk1s are/were a synthasis of the Big four designs. Ok it took B.R. some time to come up with their version of the Gresley Bogie, i.e. the Commonwealth Bogie. As they stuck with a version of the L.M.S./Southern/G.W. bogies. Having ridden on both Gresley and B.R. Mk 1 bogies under teaks and Mk1s, the former give IMO a better ride.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    paullad1984 likes this.