If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Head count

Discussion in 'Bullhead Memories' started by olly5764, Feb 27, 2011.

1. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Railways, especially busy ones, are very easy places to get lost or seperated from your party. It is always understandable that parents would panic on loosing one of their children, and it would not be the first time I would have had to look out for missing members of a party, however, two split parties stick in my mind for ome reason or another.
    The first one was on a Santa turn, we are on our way back up from Arley to Kidderminster, and have just arrived at Bewdley. The Down train trundles through, and the Road comes off for the up to leave. I am about to give the right away, when a slightly panicy lady came up.
    "Can you hold the train a minute?" She said, "Only I appear to have a problem"
    "Of course, no drama," I reply, "What is the matter?"
    her reply took a little thinking about, but once it dawned on me what she had actually said, i was a little alarmed.
    "I don't think I have all of my children" she replied.
    It was the uncertainty that struck me, "Don't think," surely she would KNOW how many children she had, and a quick head count would reveal how many where there. More worryingly, when the Lad turned up, it transpired that he had been taken to the toilet by his farther, who was also untill that moment, missing, but the lack of who's presence had not been noted!
    The second incedent was more ammusing. I arrived at Bridgnorth on a summer saturday, it was a busy weekend, possiably a 1940s or a Bank holiday. We are in platform 1, and I have just been to the rear of the train to retrive my tail lamp, and on the way back, i am greeted by one of the platform staff.
    "Ian, thank heavens it's you," he says.
    "What's the matter John?" I reply
    "This gentleman does have a ticket, but it is with his wife and children."
    "Right," I say, a little puzzeled by now, "So, where are they?"
    "They are on the other train," replied the porter, pointing at the up train that was just goingn out of sight by this point.
    Suddenly sensing a story (and one that has earned me several drinks since) I enquire "How did this happen?", Casting my eyes towards the two carry outs from the Railwaymans Arms, that are in the gentleman's hands.
    "Well," came the reply, "We came down on the other train, and there was no buffet car, so we decided not to run the risk of going dry on the way back, and went in here, gesturing towards the pub, when you arrived, we thought we would have time enough to get one for the way back, I put the missus and the kids on the train and told them I'd be there before it left! Clearly, I was wrong."
    "Ok," I said, "I'll just square it with my ticket inspectors, so they don't chuck you off for not having a ticket, but I gotta hand it to you mate, you have achived what a good many blokes would never dare, got away with putting beer before your wife and kids!"
    He took it in good humour, I considered wishing him well in the divorce courts, but thought that may be pushing my luck!

Sighthound likes this.
  2. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Tell me about it!

My t'other half's a teacher......on school trips they spend a lot of time head counting, they were lucky as the kids were old enough not to be too easily lost!

We've both been guarding trains on a certain North Wales narrow guage railway, where even adult only coach parties and other groups get split up, which can cause quite a stir!

Back when I was a student, I travelled between Coventry and Home, often via Bristol. On one trip I was in New Street when the train I was intending to catch was announced as delayed by first two, then three hours (it was the wrong side of a broken rail!) this meant that my alternative routeing would get me into Temple Meads with zero minutes to catch my onward connection. XXX that, I thought - went into ASM office and did a bit of desk thumping - and got B'ham control to speak to Bristol control and they agreed to hold the connection - which I heard - Splendid! set off on the grand tour, got to Temple Meads with several others for the same connection, about 5 down, so I legged it to the platform only to find our held connection had left 'right time' I nearly blew a gasket! Belted back down the underpass, headed to ASM's office. They denied all knowledge of the agreement to hold the connection. I got very calm and said that I had been present when the call had been made, and named the contollers! that clinched it, the paperwork was 'found' and arrangements were made for all to get home (I got to ride in a Jag, with a couple of RAF types from Lyneham.....) The explanation as to why the situation had got as it had, various stations including Temple Meads had been turned upside down searching for a cub scout patrol who had escaped from their minders and gone exploring by train. They were reunited after about five hours!
    Try getting that these days....

StoneRoad

3. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    lol, I used to be a cub scout leader, untill personal cercumstances forced me to give it up, I can immagine our lot doing that!