If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Head Boards

Discussion in 'Photography' started by 73129, Apr 26, 2009.

1. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Hi all I was at the MHR today and someone came up to me and started moaning about locos having head boards on them and that this ruins the look of a loco when photographing them. This person then said because the locos were running up and down the line with head boards it was a waste of time photographing them and was going home. What do you all think about head boards of locos for special events like St George’s day?

2. Beaker

Beaker Well-Known Member

Don't give a fig myself, I go out to phot the train people say it is unauthentic, its authentic for 2009 which is the present, you can't take photos of trains with out them and pretend to be living in the 60s.

Saying that, I don't mind them, but as long as they are done well. The St George's flag seems a bit wonky, no marking out with tape or anything :p

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    OMG not satisfied with moaning about the "Wrong" livery, are we now going to get moaning about the "Wrong" headboard.... ](*,)

4. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I'd prefer it to be something authentic if possible but don't see it as the end of the world if not, I'd prefer a Manor sporting the CCE headboard, but would still phot it even if it said "Steve 40th Birthday" or whatever or a Pannier hauling the "Cornish Riveira".

A big difference is heaboards are temporary and interchangable so comparing them and liveries is like chalk and cheese.

5. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    God this gets silly,obviously these people are proving they are not enthusiasts just moaning photters? #-o To me its the loco not the paint,headboard whatever!

6. steam_radio

steam_radio New Member

The guy is crazy.

7. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I don't really like unauthentic headboards but I do appreciate the railway is not run for me to take pictures . Where I know in advance then it's a decision making process as to whether there are location which help me avoid them or do I go somewhere else instead

8. Stepney32655

Stepney32655 New Member Account Suspended

Grave-digger
    You certainly are, my friend!

It is an undeniable fact that the words, "Are headboards really necessary at all?" have been constantly on many people's lips ever since steam returned to the main line.

Apart from the person who makes the damned things in the first place, precisely who is it, anyway, who enjoys seeing the plethora of non-authentic or non-appropriate versions that tend to plague us nowadays ... surely it cannot be the passengers in the trains ... unless they've got X-ray vision!!

A posting to incite criticism and I await my anticipated barracking * in due course!!

(* Not that I care in the slightest about that - for, in so acting, I have merely spoken up on behalf of a great many others who share similar sentiments .... and this site is, as we all know only too well, absolutely riddled with "moaners" (like my good self), who have nothing better to do with their time except to whinge about anything and everything!)

9. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    I like them,its different and casual,i don't see why everything needs to be serious,i don't understand what the problem is,its unauthentic,so what,do you want an engine with X headboard or the engine to be scrapped? Just a case of armchair enthusiasts more bothered about what the engine looks like for THEIR photo and not that A.it runs B.It is a fantastic loco. For a start on the mainline linesiders don't pay,so why should you/us have a say? Maybe at a photo shoot where you pay £20-£60 then we have a right to say that but on the main line i think it's just cheek!

10. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    As for mainline trips it is a marketing tool. There may be people on platforms such as at Clapham Junction who do not realise mainline steam operates, but when they see The Cathedrals Express run through, google it and find out that Steam Dreams operates many excursions... Also, brand recognition is important. Most preserved lines have diners, and they run with a headboard. Many customers are there to celebrate an event or special occasion, birthday or aniversary and will be photographed by the engine with the headboard. They have that as a momento of the day and may then show it to friends and relatives...

11. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
  12. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Sometimes headboards may have been put on to hack photographers off - or maybe I'm getting paranoid in my old age? I remember the Dawlish Donkey with the 14xx; agreement was reached to have some of the trains free of headboards, at the request of photographers. Personally, I see no harm with them if they are authentic names. I think some like 'Cornish Riviera Express' cannot be used because the copyright to the name was sold off at privatisation - it's all for sale in modern Britain!

John

13. bhallett

bhallett Well-Known Member

How about this headboard that has emerged recently?

14. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    I tell you what heaboards are put on to annoy photographers on occasion, couldn;t give to very large bags of stuff about it. The headboards are as authentic as the engines themselves and for those uneducated in the subject there is a very good book by a Daivd Peel. You really need your head checking if you go home just because of a headboard on a train. Photographers can be so selfish and ignorant of the larger picture sometimes (pun defintaley intended). Surely the engine in steam and pulling trains for everyones enjoyment is vastly more important than providing an accurate historical scene for the few to photograph. Maybe I am being cynical.

15. steam_radio

steam_radio New Member

Cheap bastards couldn't even afford a curved one. [-X

16. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I like them, the only one I didn't was when SD had a cathedrals express one with the Duchess to Norwich and it was Awful, I think they had some complains because it was won in a competition and they have gone back to the old one. \:D/

17. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

I like Headboards on a loco - Especially if it has the ACE headboard!! Whatever next, are people going to complain about locos having nameplates before long? ](*,)

18. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

putting them on to p*** someone else off isn't also selfinsh or ignorant . I think far too many people spend too long in steam land and really need to get a grip on reality . None of this matters . If the MHR put headboards on which don't fit in with what i want it's no big deal i'll go somewhere else that day and go the MHR another time. I'm extremely thankful that we are lucky to have so much choice both on preserved lines and the national network . I'm also thankful that railways allow me to run photo charters where I can make sure I do the best to get the images I want and that there are a great group of people out there willing to share the cost and come and enjoy the day . Everyone wins

Thankfully family events have significantly reduced my time available to indulge in Railways but it's also reminded me that there is far more out there which is just as enjoyable than trolling round on the circus trying to capture everything on film

19. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    They already have in another thread !

20. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    It was designed that was as our logo is rectangular not curved....

And with lot of thanks to ProCast for supplying the Board. And getting it upto Llangollen..