If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

ELR wants a General Manager

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Springs Branch, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Springs Branch

Springs Branch New Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Fancy a challenge?

Seems the ELR needs a General Manager. Click here for details.

2. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Looking at the various organisational charts is like looking at spaghetti! Seems very over complicated, or is it just me?

Keith

3. William Fletcher

William Fletcher Member

No sign of a salary either unless I missed it

4. burmister

burmister Member

No, seemed the same to me.

With an organisation chart like that the role is just a gold badged kicking boy to deflect grief from the coal face away from the Chairman and Board.
    Should have clear pathways of decision making with no sideways deflections and no more than 6 direct reports for any one senior executive. Conflict and argument at a high level reduced and loads of dead wood and chiefdoms cut away.

5. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

The salary is one of these 'Negotiable dependent on experience' jobs, which to me always seems to be saying 'we want to talk down your experience/skills and pay you buttons'
    If the ELR had confidence in it's management structure then surely it should know how much a GM should be paid...

You could well be right, but I cannot comment as I don't know anything of the ELR structures in the past, it just seems very over complicated.

Agree 100% about the clear decision making and streamlined structure. With the structures in those documents, I would have serious doubts about the committees actually deciding on very much.

Keith