If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Brake wear indicator on Southern Railway brake van

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by Graham Phillips, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Graham Phillips

Graham Phillips New Member

A truck mechanic's life is the life for me.
    About half way between Bewdley & Arley on the SVR
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    We have just finished the restoration of our SR brake van on the Severn Valley Railway.
    There's a brake wear indicator, on the side of the pedestal that carries the brake wheel, which is operated by a rod connected to the brake linkage. As the brake is applied and released, the rod moves up and down, until there's enough wear for it to click over a tooth on a ratchet. There are five teeth, so after it's clicked over the fifth and the pointer is at the top of its travel, it gives a visual indication that the brakes need adjusting.
    Has anyone got a photo of how this pointer should be marked please? I'm guessing there should be a line or lines with words like "1/4 worn" or "Adjust brakes now".
    Ours was actually built for the War Department, so is it a WD modification or is it common to other Southern vehicles?