If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Birkhill station development

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Railboy, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Railboy

Railboy New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi folks,
    After my visit in B'oness last year, I've haven't heard much about the progress in Birkhill Station.
    In Wikipedia, they say they plan to build a second platform with a connecting bridge as well as a Signal box and a water coloumn.
    Source:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birkhill_railway_station

Can you give me some detailed information about their current efforts?

Best regards

2. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    There have been plans to expand Birkhill as described on Wikipedia for over 20 years now - although originally I think the plan was that Birkhill box would be NBR in style as Bo'ness is in Caley style. I admit I could be misremembering that.

3. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    @steam_mad may be one of the best persons to ask, as it's been a while since I've went to Birkhill.

As far as I'm aware, a fundraising appeal was started not too long ago for the development of a second platform, and have heard it's gained quite a momentum. Recent works have also seen semaphore signal posts erected in the area, to allow the the loop to eventually accomodate the passage of trains and give ability of two train running.

Andrew can certainly give better clarification on this.

4. Railboy

Railboy New Member

I've just spent a lot of time to navigate through the srps websites. It's quite strange that the main Website of the SRPS is absolutely outdated and there are lot more websites. To help potential visitors to navigate around, they really have to focus on 1 or 2 websites...and they have to put the appeals on the first page of the main Website!! Otherwise noone will know anything about their efforts...

Even though it was time-consuming I got some information I want but sadly not all.
    They're currently raising money to construct the second platform in Birkhill.
    Source: https://www.facebook.com/BonessKinneilRailway/
    Here we can donate to this prestigious and important development.
    https://mydonate.bt.com/events/birkhill/367250

Birkhill station will probably become a very nice looking station, but I wonder if there's anything in the near which could attract tourists to spend time up there.

5. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

Well there was the old mine of course...until the council shut it!

6. Railboy

Railboy New Member

7. Railboy

Railboy New Member

Look at this secret website! I've just found it in the middle of the ethernet. There`s a group which dedicates it's energy for the planned development of Birkhill station. There you'll get a lot of information about the scenic station.
    http://www.srpsbirkhillgroup.org.uk/?page_id=181
    Cheers!

8. QTXAdsy

QTXAdsy New Member

Shuttle Driver
    As a member of the Birkhill Group, I can tell you that the plan is as follows is the get the platform in place as you might've noticed, then after that it's done an appeal will be launch to raise funds for the signal box to help operate two train operations, though I'm sure the appeal will start perhaps in the Autumn or after the platform is built. The long term idea is try and make it a suitable desternation for passengers to get off and do something there, the lack of the mine being open does make the place a somewhat forgotten station. We have started to make walking guides for those willing to explore the area and it is quite a pretty area once it all get's a little bit of TLC, another longer term aim is the idea of a small shed to built up on the incline section, leveled out of course, and give something for the passengers to do.

All this just ideas, but Birkhill is a station to keep an eye on over the next few years! ;)

9. Railboy

Railboy New Member

10. QTXAdsy

QTXAdsy New Member

Shuttle Driver
    Yeah, good to see the total has gone beyond what was needed and that little bit more of money could be used for other ideas for Birkhill. An update I can say, which I don't have photos sadly, is that the foundation for the new platform is nearly finished and will be the length to fit 7 coaches in it. No idea about the new footbridge coming along but should be either the end of the year of the start of next year but a new appeal for the signal box should be started sometime this autumn. Either way keep an eye on things to come! :)

11. Glenmutchkin

Glenmutchkin Member

The foundations for the footbridge were dug out on Monday. The bridge itself was lifted out at West Calder a few weeks back.

jnc likes this.
  12. Railboy

Railboy New Member

The footbridge arrived in Boness and got immediately loaden on wagon. It'll hopefully be installed in Birkhill Station next year.
    Here's a Video:

Support the development with a donation the the much needed new Signal box.
    https://mydonate.bt.com/events/birkhillsb/478518

Cheers

Bluenosejohn, Robkitchuk and jnc like this.
  13. Railboy

Railboy New Member

Amazing news from the SRPS at Bo'ness. Birkhill station got it's long awaited CR footbridge installed!! This is a great step towards finishing the Birkhill station project (Platform nr. 2 needs to be finished and the signal box needs to be constructed as well).
    You can find pictures on the facebook page of the B&KR: https://de-de.facebook.com/BonessKinneilRailway/
    Please help to fund the final element of the station which is the much needed signal box.
    Link to the appeal: https://wonderful.org/appeal/birkhi...KdMbD5Shkx0sHjhEez1yj1hXjU5FcajJ8UQ9FfYTEMlKg

And at least a video of the bridge being pulled by Nr. 1 "Lord Roberts" from Bo'ness to Birkhill station:

There are surely more videos coming.

Cheers ;)