If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Are Tourist Railways "welcoming" enough?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by paulhitch, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'll have you know that North Didcot Poly awards the DPhil ...

Tom

2. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

As I should know, as my father in law was a holder of such a degree.

3. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

I work in marketing for a major global corporation (not consumer goods or white goods, but B2B) and even here the same is true. As the budget holder though, the one thing I do like is not having to place expensive ads, and another is that it is possible to 1:1 marketing (just hard work).

DisusedBranch likes this.
  4. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

It doesn't really help when driving from the north, no. Besides, it's a particularly boring station if you ask me. What I will say is that I took a drive down to Winchcombe after my train ride and that is a lovely place, exactly how a heritage railway should be (although perhaps a few too many 'future projects' in the sidings for some of our readers here... fine by me though!)

No, and I accept that. I'm just afraid on that particular visit I just came away with the impression that the G/WR had expanded rather too rapidly needing to make rather too many compromises along the way. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't help how I felt about the place. It didn't help perhaps that on my previous visit (90s I think) there was pretty much uninhibited access all around the yard; this time there was none, and inevitably I came away feeling like I'd just had a train ride but not seen what I wanted to see.

Apologies for picking on the G/WR by the way; I actually have nothing against the line or its volunteers, and wish you all every success with the extension. I'll be back at some point.

Kinghambranch likes this.
  5. Ruston906

Ruston906 Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I have visited the GWR lots of times and always enjoyed it have always found the staff friendly and helpful. The car park at toddington is one off the best off any railway you are going to visit. The toilets are all modern and clean which is all you can ask. The catering might be an area that could be improved on both on train and at the stations.

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  6. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Not at all, nowt wrong with expressing your thoughts!

Yes Winchcombe is my favourite station too you say your visit was 10 years ago or so? Hopefully you'll notice a difference in the sidings contents on your next visit! *Most* of the long term stuff is hidden behind the workshops now, there are only a few completely unrestored coaches on view and they're all in mind for the next few years for restoration.

As for yard access, it's always a thorny issue. Obviously health and safety plays a part, and there's also the possibility of thieves "casing the joint" before a night time raid in the future, something which has happened. Winchcombe workshops are open during galas etc. and if you ask nicely we can usually give you a tour around the yard at the same time. I can't remember off hand what the arrangements are at Toddington, but I do know yard tours do happen. Always worth asking anyway. :)

7. flying scotsman123

Good to hear, thank you. :) Out of interest, what would you say was unsatisfactory about the catering? On train catering and Winchcombe cafe is all volunteers, F+W at Toddington is franchised by the way.

8. Ruston906

Ruston906 Member

Toddington I did find it a bit short on choice for vegetarians I found winchombe good for a coffee

9. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

Regarding peak rail & rowsley yard. I've been told you can just pitch up & wander round the yard unsupervised.

Hear this off a few fellow enthusiasts but not sure if it's true or not. At the very least I think they'd expect people to have hi vis with them.

Another line I always find incredibly welcoming us the ecclesbourne valley railway in derbyshire based at wirksworth. Not the biggest line but very friendly & staff usually allow yard tours if you've got hi vis & a look in the shed.

10. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

At Wirksworth we make a point of enabling yard tours; there is usually a hi-viz vest available to lend if required.

11. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

i can remember going on a yard tour at Toddington, it was realy well done, friendly guide, of course my main focas was in 35006, and i got left behind by the main group because i was busy chatting with one of the 35006 gang, about things bulleid, :) and how they were getting on, when i lived in Swindon , i very nearly joined, it was a choice between remaining at the MHR or joining the GWR, but the MHR won out:D .

12. flying scotsman123

Never too late to switch allegiances Martin! ;) Unfortunately it may well have been one of those people on those tours that subsequently nicked about £5000 worth of machined metal from P&O having used the tour to do a recce. :(

13. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

it wasnt me honestly :Lurking: :Shifty: but i did have a shopping list from Andy N , but the firebox was too well attached to fit under my coat, i can remember one occasion when several of us who were firing the next day were staying over when we saw headlights of a transit van coming up the drive between the shed and yard this at 7 pm, when normally there would be no one there, we were just checking our locos over , before we headed down to the pub, ensuring we had wood and rags ready next to the engines , we told them, the yard was closed made them turn round then we padlocked the barrier, and double checked the shed was secure, a side door was unlocked, something about them didnt seem right, we knew some people liked to have a look , but they didnt normally turn up in a double axle transit van i think they were looking for scrap copper.

14. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
  15. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest