If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

A question for active volunteers.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Thompson1706, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If the railway you currently volunteer with ceased to exist for any reason, what would be your second choice & why ?

Bob.

2. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Currantly at the NYMR with no thoughts of moving.
    However if push came to shove my nearest alternate sites would be Murton York. Followed by Yorkshire Wolds railway.
    If a bit further then may consider Kirkby Stephen but that would be approx 70 mile each way.
    But that may provide a home for 26 tonnes of timber Snowplough.

3. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Currently at the GWSR and have been for almost 5 years now. Given that I've gone off to uni now and I'm hanging on by a thread so to speak at the GWSR, if it ceased to exist I rather doubt I'd get in anywhere else as I don't already have a foot in the door.

Leaving that practicality aside though, I think my second choice would be *whispers in case any other GWSR volunteers are reading* the SVR, :eek: but it would depend how much a volunteer could do in C+W in terms of painting etc., something I haven't ever found out, principally because there's been no need to! Why? Well that's where I developed my love of steam so it'll always have a special place in my heart, and from a C+W angle I'm the first to admit they do have a more interesting variety than we do (although I still think our Mk1s are better than theirs) :D.

4. NightRail

NightRail New Member

I currently volunteer at the Mid-Hants and travel to and fro by public transport from Guildford. It takes me two hours to get there, so no other railway would be viable.

5. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    Mid Hants also...I have family 20 mins from Sheffield Park so I guess number two choice would be the Bluebell.

6. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    I'm in the rather privileged position of living within 20 miles of three heritage railways - the Bluebell, Kent & East Sussex and Spa Valley. When my wife & I moved here over 2 1/2 years ago, I was keen to volunteer at one line, but thanks to the demands of a full-time job, a fair sized garden and all manner of other commitments, I can only volunteer on an occasional basis. For that reason, I chose the Spa Valley as it's friendly, flexible and happy to accommodate people like me who can only give the odd day here and there. To answer the question, it all depends when the line hypothetically ceased to exist. Having volunteered on the Bluebell as a teenager, I'd certainly consider offering them a few days (Indeed, if ever I can afford to retire or at least work part-time, I'd like to volunteer at the Bluebell as well as the Spa Valley), but if by then the KESR/RVR Robertsbridge extension was open, this would be less than 10 miles from my home and therefore would be something to consider as well.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  7. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    And both railways MK1s are better than some mainline stock IMHO.

8. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    From a pure logistics view the GWSR is closest. I have tried the GWSR in the past and for reasons I would not rather say did not continue. Given the ongoing saga of Broadway being played out on this forum I think I would look elsewhere, even consider the WSR

michaelh likes this.
  9. Shrink Proof

Shrink Proof Well-Known Member

Back in my teens I volunteered at one place and had it ceased to exist I wouldn't have gone anywhere else at all, I would've simply left the world of railway preservation altogether. It was made VERY clear to me that I was never going to get anywhere in the place - "don't bother picking up that shovel, you're not going to be getting on the footplate..." As it happened, I left because I moved to Uni in a distant city, so the decision was (sort of) made for me. For a variety of reasons, including my experience then, it was nearly 40 years before I did anything else in the world of railway preservation.

10. flying scotsman123

Fair enough, goes to show what damage public discussions can have. For the same reason I would probably avoid the WSR.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DisusedBranch likes this.
  11. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I volunteer on two railways and I know a lot of other people who similarly spread their volunteering efforts at more than one.

12. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Dave tells me that there has been nothing untoward happening at the WSR so he's surprised if you've been put off spending your free time there when not at the Dunster School of Dentistry (hens teeth filled whilst you wait).

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  13. flying scotsman123

Hmm, not sure I trust Dave's opinion on the subject! :O

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

14. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I would only consider somewhere with unity of ownership or with a determined policy of heading in that direction.

PH

15. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

I would seriously consider leaving preservation entirely, because very few railways come close to the line I volunteer on now; certainly none within commuting distance. If I did continue, it would be with a railway like the Ffestiniog or Welshpool that is set up with the hostel facilities for volunteers to work a week a couple of times per year, rather than spending a day a couple of times per month as I do now.

16. Lplus

Lplus Well-Known Member

It's 2o mins ot the Mid Hants and 2 hours to Swanage, Sheffield Park or Southall. Almost as long to Didcot and longer to the IOW. I'd give it up and do something else.

17. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    If my line did cease to exist then I’m not sure that I would switch allegianceat all. This is partly geographical and also partly because I have gone from more “on the ground” to “behind the scenes” volunteering in the last 7 years after some typical life changes in the 30’s to 40’s age bracket.

Regards

Matt

18. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

I wonder if more lines could promote the National Trust model of a working holiday where there's a defined project to complete over a two-week period?

lil Bear likes this.
  19. toplight

toplight Well-Known Member

I work at the line nearest my house (The Swindon and Cricklade) and it takes me only about 15 mins to get there so if it ceased to exist I would choose another one close by, probably either Didcot or GWSR. I have been quite inspired recently by the old midland lines in Bristol (of which the Avon Valley Rly is on part of) but I would be put off a bit with them by the fact they seem to have little undercover shed space. Don't like the idea of working outside, especially in cold/wet weather and it is not conducive to good work.

I find it quite strange that people would spend say 1 week a year working at some railway miles away from where they live. To be honest seems pointless as there is little you can achieve in such a short time. To me it is better to work somewhere close to where you live (or consider moving) so you can go regularly at little cost in time and money.

20. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

At various times in my life I have done both. I am aware of people from other countries (indeed other continents) who have been volunteers.

PH