If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

45407 to Bleanau Ffestiniog.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Romsey, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Scanning through UK Steam I noticed two Crewe to Blaenau Ffestiniog tours on 5th and 26th August. Nothing on the RTC web site yet. Operationally I think they could be challenging for the planners!

First of all, I suspect there will be a requirement for an assisting loco on the branch due to the gradients. (About 10 years ago two standard 4 tanks stalled when attempting to climb to Blaenau Ffestiniog with 8 coaches.)

Secondly the steam loco will need to be turned at some time during the day. Two simple choices are possible. Run light engine Llan Jn to Valley and return before going to Blaenau. Easier operationally, but less popular with the passengers - running diesel hauled at the start of the tour from Crewe to Llan Jn with 45407 on the rear of the train tender first.

A final thought, will it be a quck trip to do the branch behind steam or will the paying passengers have some time in Blaenau or on the FR? Pathing is restricted on the branch with the only crossing loop at Llanwrst. I presume the special could be "locked in" at Blaenau for a few hours to allow the DMU to run. It's shown as No Signalman - Key Token between Llanwrst and Bleanau.

Just a few idle thoughts .....

Regards, Neil

2. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Idle maybe - pertinent definately! Keep thinking that man :)

3. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

But we will have our knotted hankies on our heads whilst eating haggis burgers in Mallaig?

4. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Point taken, but surely you're paddling at Pwllheli as well? Presumably with 44871 back in traffic by then there will be enough locos in your fleet, but perhaps held back by availability of support crews and support coaches.

I suppose really it's a case of "buyer beware" and not taking railtour adverts for 6 months time too seriously! I was just mulling over the logistics of the tours.

Regards, Neil

5. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

If the Bleanau job is double headed then 3 loco's into 4 diagrammes doesn't go ?.

6. Panniertank

Panniertank New Member

The Blaneau trips are part of two 6 day tours in Wales, and are detailed in the new RTC brochure here http://www.railwaytouring.co.uk/ it is on pages 12/13.
    it doesn't in fact specify 45407, just a 'Black V'! from Lladudno Town station, via the junction, to Blaneau Ffestiniog, back to the junction and then on to Crewe

7. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

There are currently two mainline Black 5s, 45407 and 45231, soon to be joined by 44871 (assuming the overhaul is going to plan). According to UKsteam.info (usually well-informed but not infallible), 45231 is working on the Jacobite until the end of July. The implication is that 45407 and 45231 will swap over around the beginning of August. Provided the support crew members are available, after such a long period away from home, and that she's not going into the works for maintenance, maybe 45231 will work the Ffestiniog trains?

8. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

I have the RTC catalogue in front of me as I type this posting. The steam trip from Crewe to Blaneau Ffestiniog is referred to at day 6 of a 6 day railway holiday known as "Snowdonia and the Northern Fells". Interestingly the trip is referred to as departing Llandudno TOWN for Blaneau after arrival from Crewe but nowhere does it refer to these trains as being hauled by 45407, it simply says "hauled by a former LMS black 5 ". 45231 will be back from Fort William by then and who knows 45305 may be ready, therefore Mr Riley may not necessarily be involved. I guess things will become clearer in due course.

9. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Interesting that the trip includes a run on the Welsh Highland but the small picture of a Garratt on page 13 to illustrate the motive power was taken at Sandstone Estate, in South Africa. :-k

10. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Would you tip up a grand for a week in Wales??

You don't even stay in the same hotel as a base - and as some of the days start with a bus ride to the station you are looking at 06.30 departures. that's just what you want on your jollies!

When this type of thing is being marketed any booking of mine would contain a clause that my "booking conditions" take precedence to the sellers in so far as all operating arrangements are declared by the seller to be fully contracted and paid up before any monies are paid over.

11. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No not living so close I wouldn't, but never the less an interesting selection of trips all within a short time frame. It remains to be seen however if it all goes to plan. :-k

12. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired
    A fascinating selection of spellings for Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Meic Batten

13. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Whilst at the Churnet Valley I was told it was to be 45231 on these trips.

Wish this could be done as a single day trip instead of the 6 day tour. Definately like a blast up the branch behind steam if I could.

14. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

There was a post in another thread from "malc" (I think) suggesting that RTC are thinking along those lines. He seems to have contacts in RTC and has been right about their plans in the past.

Going into pure speculation mode, now... How long does it take to get from Llandudno to
    ? How busy is the line? Would there be time for two trips in a day, perhaps? I guess they'll be using a shorter train than for most of the other trips during the week. If they have enough passengers for a 10 coach train, but can only take 6 (?) to
    then that's one empty carriage each time if they make two trips (perhaps more if they leave catering vehicles behind).

15. 5596

5596 Member Account Suspended

I think you'll find this is a dual offer.

If you read the "week long" blurb it fits with the day excursion blurb so that RTC are playing to two markets.

16. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

This will be available as a day trip in the normal way. Those people on the 6 day holiday will be provided with reserve seats on the train.

17. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Ah Say ---- Ahhhh Sayyyyy - That's what ah just said ](*,)

18. 5067

5067 Member

When?

19. blackfive

blackfive Member

And, indeed, what?

20. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Now 45231 and 45407 on May 2.

48151 runs August 5 and 19.

Is £80 worth it though when Liverpool - Holyhead behind 6201/60009 is £63 ?