If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Most are not, but many are. Especially, in my personal experience, those persuaded to accompany someone to a railway despite other holiday preferences!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

But, assuming no other more urgent priorities, would such investment deliver the best return for the railway?

I’m always very wary of the argument that because I would like something, doing something about it would be a good decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt37401 and Steve like this.
  3. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

The key question I suppose is what is the catering for - to generate profit, in which case low key/low staff can give greater profit, or a passenger service which is hoped to make some profit but which is considered necessary enough for a small loss to be tolerated. If the latter, can the West Somerset afford this at the moment, and is the 'split risk' of two operators perhaps a good idea ?

Steven

Steve and johnofwessex like this.
  4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Part of the furniture

Comfy chair occupant!
    It has worked well or years and it profitable. Given the usual 1020,departure for most it is too late for breakfast. By the arrival at Minehead lunches are available. Given the space available providing cooked breakfasts at BL is not practical. Other lines may have more space available.

5. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm sorry, but all this talk of catering is head in the sand stuff. The real concern should be that the WSR's passenger figures are static or declining at a time when many other railways are showing an increase. I do not for one second believe that this is down to the level of catering on offer! The WSR needs to find ways of attracting more visitors to the railway, if that can be achieved secondary spend will follow!

6. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    The SVR had a rather nice inland resort called Arley-on-sea a few years ago, rather delightful it was according to those who visited it too!

7. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Consulting various magazines, as well as WSR's own announcements, it seems that a peak number travelled during 2009 amounting to 226,737.
    Unfortunately, it appears to have experienced declining numbers of passengers each successive year. Apart from 2017 when it had a small rise of around 1.5% to 189,365. This was helped when circa 11,800 travelled during Flying Scotsman's visit.
    2018's figures were reported as 181,142 passengers.

8. misspentyouth62

misspentyouth62 Well-Known Member

It might be interesting to see whether there is any correlation with the number of holiday makers coming to Minehead over the same period - a decade of austerity??

9. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    With Brexit nearing there may be many more people spending their holidays in good old Blighty …..but more importantly to the WSR, the south west. <BJ>

10. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I'm under the impression that the rise in traffic for some lines in recent years has been down to the "Staycation" effect. This might well increase once Brexit finally happens, but the signs are that the WSR has missed out till now. Reversing that trend somehow without dramatically increasing spending has to be their priority.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2019
  11. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

If Post 16908 (missspentyouth) has validity then as far as Post 16909 (freetogrice) is concerned then that should already have happened. It seems it has not.

12. Steven Harris

Steven Harris New Member

Just a thought, the 'staycation' effect is perfectly veiwed passing Butlins.

But, big big but, people are lazy, more so than ever. Probably too lazy to walk to the station.

What if a halt was created at Butlins?

13. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

For the last 2 (?3) years, the WSR has offered a ticket sold only in Butlins giving a below-normal price on a day return to Watchet, valid Wednesdays and Sundays only, travelling out on the 1015 MD, returning on any train. I think it has been fairly successful, but most people staying in Butlins are there for the free entertainment provided all day long within their own walls, and have no desire to stray outside!

Triumph 2500S and 35B like this.
  14. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

I am sure this is correct. Also much of the business attracted to Butlins is of a 'conference' nature. Usually most conference attendees stay at the venue and go home a soon as the conference is over.

35B likes this.
  15. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    Who knows what will happen post Lemming Friday - all we can predict will be a period of instability and living in a tourist area (The Lake District) such scenarios are very rarely good for Buisiness. You may for example if the pound falls gain more foreign tourists (not sure if you will have the same effect in Somerset?), but that may easily be offset by a fall in UK visitors if a recession results. Whatever happens now is a good time to get your house in order and get your costs under tight control, and I hope the new broom is successful in these areas but to hope for a upturn on the back of Brexit is a tad foolhardy, it may arrive but what if it has the opposite effect?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Bean-counter, jnc, D8568 and 2 others like this.
  16. pgbffest

pgbffest New Member

FfWHR do that quite happily and the loco side runs at 96% volunteer availability. Which isn't bad considering there were 2600 turns to be filled last year. On a High Summer Thursday it requires 10 sets of locomotive crews to run a service.

FR1 - Works 08:40 (05:45 Start / 13:30 Finish)
    FR2 - Works 10:05 / 13:35 (07:15 Start / 18:15 Finish)
    FR3 - Works 10:40 / 14:30 (07:30 Start / 18:30 Finish)
    FR4 - Works 11:55 / 16:00 (08:30 Start / 19:45 Finish)
    FR5 - Works 18:05 (15:00 Start / 22:00 Finish)
    FR6 - Works 19:15 Music Night Special (18:00 Start / 00:30 Finish)
    WHR1 - Works 09:40 ex Porthmadog to Rhyd Ddu and back (06:45 Start / 12:30 Finish)
    WHR2 - Works 10:00 ex Caernarfon to Rhyd Ddu and back (06:30 Start / 12:15 Finish)
    WHR3 - Works 12:55 ex Porthmadog to Caernarfon and back (12:00 Start / 19:30 Finish)
    WHR4 - Works 13:00 ex Caernarfon to Porthmadog and back (11:30 Start / 19:30 Finish)

17. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    How many tourist railways do you find in Third World countries?

18. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

That's true - but you have presumably needed that level of staffing for a few years now. If you were to suddenly go from 1,300 turns to 2,600, it would be a bit of a step change!

19. The Man of Kent

The Man of Kent New Member

OK, time to take up residence in one of the lineside pillboxes and put the safety helmet on ……
    Perhaps one factor affecting visitor numbers is the preponderance of Swindon outline locomotives. Look at the variety to be seen at NYMR, SVR, Bluebell, GCR, ELR and others.
    A huge amount of effort went into restoring Odney Manor with superb workmanship and a dazzling result but at the end of the day we finished up with the third Manor to work on the line in 2018. How many people are going to travel miles for that?
    Swindon locomotives are undoubtedly good but they are very obviously from the same family to both the initiated and the uninitiated and now we have disposed of three that looked different and appear to be adding another family member.

free2grice and phil_o99 like this.
  20. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Now I'm not one to say that members of the public think all steam locos look the same, but I really, really, don't buy that as a reason passenger numbers on the WSR are declining. IMO that can legitimately be used as a reason to excuse poor attendance at a gala where the proportion of enthusiasts and people interested in specific locos is higher, but no more.

tracker, Bean-counter, D8568 and 13 others like this.