If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

Norton Platform was passed for use by the ORR inspector yesterday and becomes the WSR's eleventh station. In the short term, it'll only be used for special events at the WSRA's Norton Fields as there is no public access other than by train. It will be used by a DMU shuttle service from Bishops Lydeard during the Steam Rally weekend on 1,2 August. One small step at a time...

Steve
    (WSW)

1. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    The West Somerset Railway has today announced that passenger numbers for 2009 have broken all-time records with a total of 226.737 passengers carried, over 10% up on 2008, and beating the previous record set in 2007. In retrospect it seems that quite a few heritage railways have done well in 2009 despite the economic recession. May 2010 be just as successful !

More details at www.wsr.org.uk

David

2. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Well done to the WSR! David, whats the update on the triangle news?

3. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Great news! The WSR keeps going from strength to strength and I think in 10 years time they'll be challenging the NYMR for the title of most popular heritage railway in the country.

Looking forward to the day I can make a rail journey between Minehead and Swanage on scheduled services!

4. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Hey dont discount the SVR we carried nearly 250000 this year! Like the footballs big four, I guess these 3 lines form the the railway version.
    Well done to the WSR and long may the upward trend continue!

5. gwr4090

Scientist (Rtd)
    Well I'm not involved with PW, but I see from the Latest Pictures section at www.wsr.org.uk that track laying has now commenced along the southern side of the triangle, adjacent to the mainline. The western headshunt from Orchard Jc towards Allerford Bridge appears more or less complete apart from final ballasting. It looks like the next section will be laid with flat bottom rail judging from the sleepers. I gather that overall progress is likely be dependent on the rate of delivery of rails ex Network Rail. All the ground works and foundation ballasting for the triangle is now complete.

David

6. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Is this going to be a first for the WSR? I seem to recall that the line was all bullhead on my last visit, but could have missed some FB whilst looking out.

Are any other railways still 100% bullhead, apart from Middleton? (OT, sorry!)

7. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

What works will be happening in the closed season?

8. I gather there is (was?) a short stretch of FB on the concrete bridge over the stream to the south of Williton Level Crossing (a 1950s BR construction which also saw the loop shortened)

Steve
    (WSW)

9. For starters, the troublesome drain is being cleared at Crowcombe Heathfield at the moment (at least it will continue come the thaw)

Steve
    (WSW)

10. gwr4090

Scientist (Rtd)
    Also work to install a second pit road in the Bishops Lydeard loco compound.

David

11. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    At Ann's request, all the discussion on lubrication and 66xxs has been moved to its own thread and can be found HERE

12. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Any more news about things happening at Williton? Extending the up line through the bridge mabee? Or the footbridge?

13. Both of these are projects in progress/planning. No recent updates as far as I know.

Steve
    (WSW)

14. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    A little late to post but yes there is a small section of FB on the line already.

Not heard anything concrete about Williton re-engineering of the layout but it can't be far off happening surely?

15. gwr4090

Scientist (Rtd)
    60163 Tornado is scheduled to work trains on the West Somerset Railway again this year, from Mon 12-Fri 16 July inclusive, and again between Mon 13 Sep-Fri 17 Sep inclusive. This is in between weekend duties on the mainline, working out of Bristol.

David

16. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

I'm wondering:

I've seen it suggested that whole trains are to be turned on the triangle but surely this would mean the engine propelling a 6-(or whatever) coach train backwards which can't be particularly good idea. Also, it requires two lengthy headshunts. Presumably the better arrangement engine would be take the train into the platform and leave it there for people to get out and stretch thier legs while it travels round teh triangle and onto the other end of teh train? If so why is it saying that the platform is only in use for galas?

17. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Not sure why propelling is a bad idea. There is a proper procedure (no punters on board, guard in radio contact with driver, very low speed etc.), so can't see a problem

18. There are no plans to use the Triangle to turn trains carrying passengers. The platform is only authorised for occasional use in connection with the annual Steam Fayre held on the WSRA's fields at Norton (where the sheep are currently munching away!)

Steve
    (WSW)

19. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

You dont need to be in radio contact with driver, there's proper procedures for this. They did it for 150 years without radio contact!!