If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

A classic example of this is the 4253 group at Rolvenden. They regularly have a fair number of volunteers on two or three days each week. These people are prepared to put in time not only on restoration work, but also on making souvenirs to sell, and indeed on manning the sales stand to raise funds.

Prior to this group starting up, there were far fewer volunteers assisting the few paid shed staff, but now the 4253 crowd happily muck in on the company's locos when there are more of them present than can comfortably work on their own loco.

I feel that restoration of this loco from "Barry state" would have been beyond the K&ESR's own resources and fundraising, but as a separate group they are coming along nicely.

GWRArry, Paul Kibbey, 1472 and 2 others like this.
  2. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I too tread nervously :). However ...

I think it was a previous discussion on this thread that established that fore-and-aft surging is mostly to do with how a loco is worked (full regulator and short cutoff versus partial regulator and long cutoff) and with the valve gear (Walschaerts versus Stephenson) rather than with other design aspects such as piston stroke.

And I am unconvinced that inertial forces have much relevance. 25 mph for a 2800 with 4'7½" wheels gives the same rotational speed as about 34 mph for a Hall with 6' wheels. If the inertial forces were significant at those speed they would be excessive for a Hall at 70 mph.

3. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

You d o seem to be embarrassed by the thought that what you are involved in is a leisuretime/pleasure based activity and devise some sort of "deeper" purpose. Have you been unsettled by people's scoffings about "playing trains". If so, ignore them.

PH

4. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

You seem to be reading something into @flying scotsman123 's words that really isn't there, Paul. If someone uses the GWSR to visit Broadway - or if someone uses the WSR to facilitate a seaside ramble, say - they are using the train for a public transport purpose, just as much as if someone catches a national network service to Dawlish or to Shanklin for a seaside ramble there.

tracker, Bean-counter, jnc and 4 others like this.
  5. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

No. I am delighted that people enjoy travelling on our railway. You seem unable to accept the thought that a steam train ride can form an integral part of a bigger day out.

Just so we're clear, are you disputing that people are actually using the steam train to get to places (Broadway, the beach etc.) or that they are, but this doesn't fit you definition of a public service?

TommyD likes this.
  6. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    PH seems very unsettled that the GWSR is doing very well with its extension

Not being packed is no bad thing.

45k according to this. https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2017/02/full-steam-ahead-as-talyllyn-passenger-numbers-rise.html

Peak year was 1973 - 45 years ago. The railway world was a very different place then and so was tourism. It's a pretty quixotic argument to point to 45 years ago and say 'see the railways are in decline'. The railways and tourism in 1973 was very different to the railways and tourism in 1928.

But lets look at the railway scene in Wales in 1973 and where else you might travel if you were a tourist looking for an afternoon or day out.

No WHHR or WHR, Llangollen, Brecon, Gwili or Corris
    FR to Dduallt only
    Bala Lake opened in 1972 (just a diesel and 1 1/2 miles running from Llanuwchllyn)
    Llanberis opened in 1971 (still carried 30,000 people in its first year)
    VoR under BR
    Snowdon - do you remember the queues for the trains?
    SVR the nearest preserved standard gauge
    Fairbourne
    Great Orme
    WLLR running to Sylfaen (A tiny hamlet - why on earth would you both to extend to there...).

So 45 years ago, alternatives were either shorter (FR, WLLR), didn't exist (WHHR, WHR, Llangollen or Brecon), just starting (Bala, Llanberis), or under very different management styles (Snowdon, VOR).

What would be more significant than going on headline figures would be to do two things - look at the total number of passenger railways for all the railways in North Wales, and also look at how many people are doing multiple railways during their visits. For example in the 1970s there was the Great Little Trains of Wales ticket which you could use on almost all the railways so you would be able to do that. If you were a Ffestiniog Society Member you used to be able to get either discounted or free travel on TR and vice versa.

talyllyn1 likes this.
  7. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    I normally find it very useful to peruse the pages of national-preservation to keep up to date with the WSR gossip and news. After wasting my time reading page after page of waffle, thank you Mr Hitch, I was glad to read that Braunton is to return to the railway.

To quote the plc: ''The loco will work the 11.15am from Bishops Lydeard and the 3.15pm from Minehead, with the aim of turning at Minehead and Norton each day to ensure smokebox running each day''.

8. The WSR has just issued a press release which I'll just copy/paste:

AN EXPRESS STEAM LOCOMOTIVE NAMED AFTER A BATTLE OF BRITAIN COMMANDER WILL WORK TRAINS ON THE WEST SOMERSET RAILWAY

An express steam locomotive from the great days of steam, will be working trains on the West Somerset Railway on selected dates in August and September. The locomotive will also feature in the WSR’s Autumn Steam Gala at the end of September.

In addition, it is currently in the guise of 34052 ‘Lord Dowding’, named after Air Marshall Sir Hugh Dowding, commander of Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain. This is particularly appropriate in this centenary year of the Royal Air Force, although the engine is correctly identified as classmate 34046 ‘Braunton’ (the original 34052 was scrapped in the 1960’s). ‘Braunton’ was built at Brighton in 1946 as one of Oliver Bulleid’s ‘Light Pacifics’ for the Southern Railway. It was extensively rebuilt in 1959 and was withdrawn in the general run down of steam in the 1960’s. Its first return to working life from scrapyard condition, followed after work was carried out by West Somerset Restoration at Williton. Today it is part of the Icons of Steam fleet and is based at Crewe, from where it operates on mainline steam excursion trains.
    During August the locomotive will work the following trains:-

On the 16th , 17th , 21th , 22nd , 23rd , 24th , 27th , 28th , 29th and 30th the locomotive will work the 11.15am from Bishops Lydeard and the 3.15pm from Minehead.

Dates and times for September operations will be available at a later date. On arrival at Minehead, (due there at 12.47) the locomotive will be turned on the turntable.
    Normal fares will apply to travel behind “Braunton”/”Lord Dowding” in August, and Local Residents Cards and the newly introduced Annual Pass will also still be valid.

Paul Conibeare General Manager said:
    “we are very excited to welcome this Steam Locomotive back to the WSR ,to help run our busy Summer services,
    Our Steam Crews and Passengers will enjoy seeing her haul trains along our Glorious Coast and Countryside line, throughout August and September”

During August two other steam engines will also be in action each day as well as a diesel train. Full timetable details can be seen at www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk or obtained from 01643 704996. Timetable leaflets can be obtained from Tourist Information Centres.

(I don't plan to put this on wsr.org.uk as a news item about 34046 appeared there yesterday ;) )

Steve

9. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

That's easy. No-one goes to Shanklin by train for fun unless a masochist or a gricer. The bus is more comfortable and has a better view from upstairs
    The thing I am disputing is making too much of the tiny minority who use these lines for retail shopping, medical appointments or whatever. These places live or die by their use for pleasure purposes. Thus they are part of the leisure industry and there is nothing wrong with that or demeaning in accepting it.

Parthian shot time on this correspondence.

PH

Miff and Paul Kibbey like this.
  10. Just to give a feel of the things folks have seen and experienced in the last few days on the WSR. One or two NP members might wish to note an element of public service is evident in at least one picture, and a modern train (continuing the traditional/heritage of moving stuff on rails) in another. Happily the WSR is not a museum.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks to the photographers PO, AG, CA. RJ, NP, KN for their images, all taken from wsr.org.uk and all subject to the Creative Commons licence creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/

Steve

11. flying scotsman123

That is indeed a tiny minority. I think you are wrong to suggest that is the only way a train can be a public service. As long as people are going *somewhere* for *something* other than trains, surely that is a public service? Even if they probably wouldn't bother doing it that way if it wasn't a steam train.

12. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

And presumably none of them are True Scotsmen either.

But that's a straw man argument - I don't think anyone here has said either of those things. What we have said is that some heritage railways serve a public transport function for leisure travel, just as some parts of the national network do.

Feel free to retreat!

13. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Watch out for arrows.

If either of you wish to carry this on privately, please do but in public, it needs bringing to a halt. Neither "side" is likely to concede.

PH

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  14. flying scotsman123

I think that's as close as we'll get to Paul admitting he's wrong; refusing to continue the argument, so I'm happy that you've "conceded" in your own way. ;) :)

15. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Unless they have just arrived at Ryde Pier & see the train waiting as many do? The same folk are probably unaware or uninformed about the bus service so simply get on the conveniently placed train. I certainly have many times.

TommyD, Wenlock and Bean-counter like this.
  16. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

You haven't even got close. The topic is worn out though and needs to cease.

PH

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  17. flying scotsman123

Until the next time you bring it up?

oddsocks, Paul Kibbey and jnc like this.
  18. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Not as yet. As said, if you want to keep it going, raise it privately.

PH

19. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Suggest that a line be drawn under the public transport element of this discussion and a return to West Somerset Railway specifics be made.

tracker, TommyD, baldbazza and 12 others like this.
  20. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

I can get a through ticket from where I live to Shanklin, get the train, the fast cat, pick up the island line to shanklin, walk down to the beach, pop into the Steamer Inn couple of beers, crab sandwich, afternoon on the beach (or maybe even head back to smallbrook jct) before heading home.

Primary objectives: crab sandwiches, beers and the beach.

Why make life difficult hunting for buses etc when I can go to the ticket machine at my local station and type ‘shanklin’ as my destination?