If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Could? Yes. Should? No, not in my view.

It’s my long term belief that loco owners financially subsidise railways, i.e. the money made providing a loco is never sufficient to fully pay its future overhaul costs. Of course, it is not all one way traffic, because what the loco owner gets back is operational capacity to see their loco in use. A loco without a railway is just as useless as a railway without a loco.

So in any loco agreement, there is a mutual exchange of value, but it tends to be cash from loco owner to railway, and something more intangible from railway to loco owner.

For an independent loco owner or group, that doesn’t matter and they can go where they feel they get the best value in return, which will have many intangible inputs. But for a loco owned by a specific railway’s support charity, it is more problematic if you decide to get your returning value from another railway, since in essence you are supporting them in cash terms.

So my view is that now the loco is explicitly owned by the WSRA, it should be restored for operation on the WSR: restoring it as a jobbing “loco for hire” while perfectly legal and probably congruent with the WSRA’s charitable objectives would not, I suggest, represent a good exchange of value for the members.

Tom

2. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Mid-Hants are a bit short of motive power at present...

3. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

By the time 80064 is complete they won’t be.

4. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Yes Tom, that was also my view too.
    I just wonder when it comes time to put pen to paper, will the WSR offer a good enough deal with enough guarantees (see 53808...) to assure the WSRA that they will get a decent return on the hire.

5. Cuckoo Line

Cuckoo Line Member

Surely if you're a supporting organisation your overhaul plans would fit in with the locomotive availability needs/plans of your railway ,.

6. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

You must be new to the WSR thread…

;)

Simon

unslet, RASDV, Hampshire Unit and 8 others like this.
  7. Cuckoo Line

Cuckoo Line Member

No just hopeful !!!

35B, johnofwessex and goldfish like this.
  8. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Wider experience suggests otherwise.....there are a number of locos currently or until recently running which achieved 10.5+ years of fairly intensive use. The one thing the WSR could do to improve boiler life - the determinent in most cases - would be to install Reverse Osmosis Water at Bishops Lydeard (where most water is taken) follwed by the same at Minehead. Elsewhere this has paid dividends.

9. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Covid, and the scarcity & price of coal are just two factors which have demonstrated that any such plans are at best provisional.

10. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Do they not have an RO plant then? I’m not sure why but thought they did, as you say great for extending boiler life so hopefully in the future plan’s especially with a relatively small fleet it would certainly pay for itself.

11. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    We have RO at Rolvenden on the K&ESR and it is a bit of a miracle worker.

Wenlock likes this.
  12. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

I guess the water in that part of the world if untreated would be something of a nightmare due to the geology. The gain from RO in Somerset would not be so great for that reason - but still worth doing.

JBTEvans likes this.
  13. rodders154

rodders154 Member

Retired Grumpy old man
    Keith, the WSRA Administrator, will leave the WSRA for a well-earned retirement on the 31st of December. He will be known to many members of this forum as the public face of WSRA. I wish him a long and happy retirement.

14. Chuffington

Chuffington New Member

I don’t quite understand why overhauling a Barry Locomotive is cheaper than doing an overhaul on a complete Locomotive, I know the boiler is tired, is it in need of replacement?

15. Pete Thornhill

Because in some cases the ex Barry engine that hasn’t steamed is in surprisingly good condition, it’s not had any use and subsequent wear in preservation so can actually be in a better condition under the surface than something which has seen use in preservation. It’s why some ex Barry boilers are now sought as replacements for those that have been in use.

I am intrigued though as to which Barry engine you have in mind as if you were thinking of 80064 that has seen service in preservation although admittedly not for a long time.

16. Maunsell907

Maunsell907 Member

West Somerset is fortunate to have comparatively ‘thin’ waters I.e low hardness and total
    dissolved solids (TDS). Consequently locos can operate for 28 days between wash outs
    without the boiler TDS reaching a level whereby priming and carry over occur. ( without
    any recourse to blow down ) The WSR has invested considerable time over the last decade
    honing its internal chemical treatment regime. The combination of reserve alkalinity,
    thereby keeping the pH relatively high plus oxygen removal has led to clean tubes with
    friable deposits.

The proof is in the metaphorical eating; the WSR, IMHO, has an unrivalled reputation
    for obtaining a full ten years operation from its locos between statutory major
    overhauls.

If the WSR were to refine its systems more, the likely approach would be by controlled
    feed water dosing, (but that would involve capital expenditure and maintenance of
    pumps and instrumentation. ) with possibly phosphate treatment,

Undoubtedly the removal of TDS( particularly if it leads to a uniform water supply
    across the length of a Railway ) by reverse osmosis simplifies internal treatment,
    although on occasion at the expense of loss of natural alkalinity. RO involves
    expense ( capital, power consumption and membrane replacement ) and if
    ( as is the case throughout the Heritage Railway sector ) money is short should
    only IMHO be considered if an adequate chemical treatment regime cannot be
    pursued,

IMHO the WSR ( and the KESR ) have been ahead of the game,

Michael Rowe

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    Jeremy Dunn, CH 19, JBTEvans and 5 others like this.
  17. Chuffington

Chuffington New Member

I miss understood, I was under the impression that the standard tank was a Barry engine.

18. Pete Thornhill

Thank you for the reply, although I’m well versed with Reverse osmosis and owned several systems over the years when I had a business that required it.

I’m not sure what you mean by thin water, but guess you mean the water round Minehead is soft and therefore low in minerals & salts which of course means low TDS, I had to deal with the exact opposite with a TDS of around 650ppm which was a nightmare!!!

Out of interest what is considered an acceptable TDS level at the railway?

19. Pete Thornhill

No it was restored at the South Devon Railway then ran over at Paignton for a bit followed by a stint at the Bluebell, but that was a long time ago now.

20. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

The SVR has 2 RO plants in operation at Bridgnorth and Kidderminster. Tubes taken out of 2857 in recent weeks look about 3 years old, not 12-13 years old. Most SVR locos dont just achieve 10 years but regularly gain extensions as well.

acorb, MattA and Matt37401 like this.