If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

VT - Whistling Ghost - DH 7F's on WSR - 18/06/16

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Ben Vintage-Trains, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Heres my video of the train..

2. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

3. sir gomer

sir gomer New Member

That isn't the Support Coach - its the Buffet

4. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

My footage of the two 7Fs working the WSR leg of the tour. Seen at Churchlands Bridge, Dunster and Roebuck Woods.

5. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

What about 1:42 to 1:48?

6. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Isn't the Tyseley POB a Mk1 normally - would there be a support coach when it was diesel hauled on the ML?

But don't let that get in the way of giving the old record another play!

7. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    My mistake in that case.

8. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hadn't watched that far.

9. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    As it's their own loco, it will most likely have it's own support crew.

10. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

Was a few cameras stuck out of windows along the train when it passed me, surprised those with the audacity to do so weren't tazered on sight, must have left the tazers back in brum.

11. bob.meanley

bob.meanley Member

Well I haven't had much time to have a look on NatPres recently so it was good to get back and read the three pages of drivel and smart-alick comments from the same old band of nay sayers.

To cut to the matter under discussion, I first need to remind you that as the managing director of Vintage Trains I do have a certain responsibility for the well being of our passengers. We have been told by people at a very high level in the HMRI that heads sticking out of windows on the main line is not something that they find satisfactory. We have been issued with very clear operating instructions by our operator West Coast Railway which say that there should be no heads sticking out of windows or congregations of passengers in vestibules. These instructions are not issued on the understanding that we are going to ignore them, and they are pretty clear. So the first question is how many of you detractors out there would ignore them if you were in my position and what you think might happen if you did? And do you think that you would bear any of the liability should an accident occur?

So just suppose that we did ignore them and one of our passengers sticks his head out of the window just at the moment that a stout branch from one of Network Rail's fine selection of lineside trees (infrastructure) is rattling along the side of the train, and said passenger is unlucky enough to have one of his eyes taken out. Now then question 2 - is anyone out there stupid enough to believe that litigation is not going to quickly ensue?

Question 3 who do you think that they are going to sue?

That can be followed by the fact that as a passenger has been seriously injured on a moving train, the HMRI will undoubtedly be called on to investigate so question 4 is how much time and angst do you think will be involved in participating in an investigation?

Question 5. If legal action was taken, who do you think will have to appear in court?

Question 6. Is there any one of you wise guys out there who would like to swap places for a month, relax the rules and take the chance? And before you say well X,Y or Z allow it, just remember that they run the same risks as us and all you need to do is to consider the wisdom of their choice given the preceding questions.

Now as for the West Somerset Railway, I have to tell you that they are something of a model as to how to maintain a 25 mile long linear garden and from what I saw on Saturday last there is not much danger of getting close and personal with a branch off one of the local oak trees or whatever, and you have to say that their risk is far less than ours out on the main line, particularly as any stray bits of tree are likely to be travelling towards you at one third of the speed giving you three times longer to get out of the way, and there gentlemen of the Kangaroo court, lie the differences.

Regards
    Bob

sunstream, 7143, Big Al and 32 others like this.
  12. Platform 3

Platform 3 Member

Post of the week Bob.

13. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    The only thing I would like to remind everyone is the cornerstone of Health and Safety Legislation is that everyone is ultimately responsible for their own safety. If their own actions cause them injury when reasonable steps have been made to inform them of the dangers, it's their fault and no-one else's. I think all coach owners and promoters do enough in notices and announcements but I know what Bob means. H&S was never meant to be draconian but the lack of common sense shown regarding when it's safe to do things, coupled with the ambulance chasing litigation culture, has led to it very much being treated that way. As someone who worked with Health and Safety at a corporate level, I could easily produce a 'draconian' risk assessment that showed railways are just too unsafe to run. It should be about taking reasonable steps to inform and educate but sadly it isn't.

14. malc

malc Part of the furniture

I thought that one of the main issues in this thread was being suggested, prior to the tour, that the same rules about heads out of windows, standing in vestibules, etc would be applied on the WSR as on the mainline.

15. 83B

83B Member

Yes, that is also my understanding. People asked why it okay for passengers on the West Somerset (and other preserved lines) to window hang when it appeared that Virgin Trains were not allowing their passengers to do the same, despite the fact that they were OFF the 75mph mainline and on a 25mph private line. So, to be honest, I think Mr. Meanley's comments were a shade over the top and off topic!

16. 83B

83B Member

Make that Vintage Trains!!

17. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    The window enforcement in today's climate is understandable, though the vestibule enforcement is laughable. If I've been sitting down for two tours and suddenly my leg cramps up, you better believe I'm going to walk it off !

banana patch and oddsocks like this.
  18. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Well there we have it, Bob Meanley is at the sharp end of the charter business etc and as such is able to tell us like it is, then someone comes along and says his comments were ott.

19. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Bob is a very fine engineer but his posts on NP about some other matters have in the past been somewhat ambiguous as is his most recent one above.

20. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Bob Meanley's comments are very fair, and we should be grateful that he has bothered to post them. However it does seem that the earlier indication that the prohibition would apply to the Whistling Ghost while it was on the WSR was a misunderstanding.