If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vintage Trains 2023

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Leviathan, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Leviathan

Leviathan New Member

I thought it worth starting a new thread for 2023 as details of the double-headed double-chimney Castle hauled Welsh Marches Express on 13th May are now on the website:

https://vintagetrains.co.uk/train-rides/welsh-marches-express/

Nick M.

2. NathanP

NathanP Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It's a bit muddled for the average layperson isn't it? The "Joining Arrangements" and "Timetable" sections both say return to New Street, whereas the description says returns to Snow Hill. We here all know it's Snow Hill, but I can see that being confusing for some people. No Club Class either, which I guess is to make it easier for the catering staff. On the Cardiff trip earlier this year the Club class coach was part Tourist class as well, so people who hadn't paid for Club kept having sandwiches given to them, only to have them removed a few minutes later when the mistake was realised!

3. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member Friend

The double-headed Castle special train for Shareholders who invested in the CBS is scheduled for Saturday 4 March 2023, running from Birmingham Moor Street to Didcot Railway Centre and back via Hatton Bank on the return. Posted here for information only, as tickets for the train are not on sale to the public.

While at Didcot Railway Centre, there is planned to be a line-up of four Castles to celebrate the centenary of the Castle class design with Pendennis Castle also expected to be in steam.

3ABescot, GOEdwards and NathanP like this.
  4. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member Friend

Thought I'd book on this one. It's also a bit confusing that the web timetable page says approximate departure times are New Street 07:00 and Wolverhampton 07:50, but the booking confirmation says approximate departure time 07:00, meet us at Tyselely. No doubt all will become clear in due course.

5. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I’ve noticed the website seems somewhat mixed up in general at the moment. For instance, I saw a VT advert for 2023 Shakespeare expresses which have some extra dates throughout the year from February. Following the link they had provided took you to the SE page which still talks about the summer operation of late July - early September with no mention of the extra dates they were advertising.

I did dig a little further and found you can find the other dates by clicking book now (and of course book) but that was the only mention anywhere, which is hardly great advertising. If I hadn’t seen the Facebook advert and just gone on their website I would have been none the wiser of the extra dates which in a time that it’s hard enough to sell tickets is something that VT need to get a grip on as the website isn’t helping advertise anything, to be honest the revamped version is not as good as the old version and someone in VT really needs to think about the content of the site a bit more as there is regularly conflicting or missing information which again doesn’t help encourage ticket sales.

crusader612 likes this.
  6. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

I'm afraid I am in agreement here. The current website is a mess. The last issue of Heritage Railway hinted at several new trips being advertised from the start of December so I took a look earlier today. It is very difficult to find what is running when. The previous offering was simpler.

When you consider they are currently carrying a large number of potentially new to steam customers with their Christmas operation, it doesn't make it easy for people to find out what else they can book. A simple website, which can be easily navigated by smart phone with a couple of taps or swipes, is a must these days.

They would do well to take a look at their competitors.

Mick45305, green five, Paul42 and 4 others like this.
  7. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    When I clicked on the Shakespeare Express page I get a Calendar for February which shows me February date . I can quickly flick forward through the months to see when it is operating

upload_2022-12-2_17-48-20.png

Attached Files:

8. Pete Thornhill

Only by clicking through, my point was the other information needs updating.

9. Pete Thornhill

I’ll add this is on the mobile site…

Which is where the majority of traffic comes from these days.

10. Joseph Bevan

Joseph Bevan New Member

2023 Vintage Trains Programme

Available to book online here: https://vintagetrains.co.uk/

Saturday 11th March 2023: The South Wales Explorer. Diesel Explorer.
    Pick up/ Set down: Dorridge, Widney Manor, Birmingham Moor Street, Birmingham Snow Hill, Kidderminster, Worcester and Cheltenham.

Saturday 18th March 2023: Castles up the Lickey. Express Steam.
    Pick up: Birmingham Moor Street, Birmingham Snow Hill and Stourbridge Junction. Set down: Birmingham New Street.

Saturday 22nd April 2022: The Cumbrian Mountaineer Express. Express Steam.
    Pick up/ Set Down: Tyseley Warwick Road, Birmingham New Street, Wolverhampton, Stafford and Crewe.

Saturday 29th April 2023: The North Wales Coast Express and Llandudno Steam Festival. Express Steam.
    Pick up/ Set down: Birmingham New Street, Wolverhampton, Stafford and Crewe.

Saturday 13th May 2023: The Welsh Marches Express. Express Steam: Castle Centenarian.
    Pick up: Birmingham New Street and Wolverhampton. Set down: Birmingham Snow Hill.

Saturday 20th May 2023: The Whistling Ghost to Minehead. Express Steam.
    Pick up/ Set down: Birmingham Snow Hill, Birmingham Moor Street, Widney Manor and Banbury.

Saturday 3rd June 2023: The Cumbrian Coast Explorer to Ravenglass and Carlisle. Diesel Explorer.

Saturday 24th June 2023: The Red Dragon to Cardiff. Express Steam.
    Pick up/ Set down: Birmingham Moor Street, Birmingham Snow Hill and Worcester (Pick up only).

Wednesday 19th July 2023: The East Anglian Explorer to Norwich and Great Yarmouth. Diesel Explorer.
    Pick up/ Set down: Birmingham Moor Street, Coleshill Parkway, Nuneaton, Leicester and Peterborough.

Saturday 29th July 2023: The Jolly Fisherman to Skegness. Diesel Explorer.
    Pick up/ Set down: Birmingham Moor Street, Coleshill Parkway, Nuneaton, Leicester and East Midlands Parkway

Saturday 23rd September 2023: The Melton Pieman to Melton Mowbray. Express Steam.
    Pick up/ Set down: Birmingham New Street, Coleshill Parkway and Nuneaton.

Saturday 23rd September 2023: The Harringworth Lunchtime Shuttle. Express Steam.
    Pick up/ Set down: Melton Mowbray.

Saturday 11th November 2023: The Blackpool Illuminations Explorer. Diesel Explorer.

Tuesday 28th November 2023: The Christmas White Rose to York. Express Steam.
    Pick up/ Set down: Birmingham New Street, Coleshill Parkway, Tamworth, Burton-upon-Trent, and Derby.

The Shakespeare Express:
    Sunday 12th February 2023
    Sunday 26th March 2023
    Sunday 23rd April 2023
    Sunday 28th May 2023
    Sunday 18th June 2023
    Sundays 16/23/30 July 2023
    Sundays 6/13/20/27 August 2023
    Sunday 3rd September 2023
    Sunday 22nd October 2023

11. Pete Thornhill

Great stuff but can the SE listings be improved please as the actual page description only really mentions the core late July - early September operations meaning a casual visitor to the website may not realise the other dates are on offer :)

12. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

And it would also help if the destination and route were included on the tour pages. The South Wales Explorer doesn't actually say where it is going or what the loco is (elsewhere it is said to be 37240)

13. NathanP

NathanP Member

Yes indeed, many of the tours don't even list the destination. I assume the South Wales Explorer is going to Cardiff, as the picture is of the Millennium Centre.
    Also, several of the tours (such as the Minehead and Harringworth ones) only have Tourist Seat Child available and not Tourist Seat! So, what, the adults travel Pullman and the children all travel in a separate Tourist coach?

Still a work in progress I think. I'll hold off on booking anything until it's all been tweaked.

14. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Also the page listing all the tours shows only the months, and those in small print, so you have to go to the details of each tour to find the date in the month.

15. Pete Thornhill

Yes there is that too. Unfortunately it’s basically not very user friendly or very well kept up to date with the correct information, it’s certainly an area that needs improvement as potentially could be costing bookings.

16. Leviathan

Leviathan New Member

Re. the Welsh Marches Express, I did query this confusion about the return station with VT and received the following reply:

"We are currently waiting for the clarification on the return journey. But as it currently stands, the Birmingham new street (Return) is just meaning that it returns to Birmingham."​

I am quite fancying this trip - hopefully with two Castles there is sufficient resiliency to not require any diesel in the consist, and presumably with the second engine available, parking the train at Hereford will not require a diesel either.

I can't seem to find any recent update on progress with Earl of Mount Edgcumbe's overhaul - anyone have any news?

Nick M.

17. Jamie C. Steel

Jamie C. Steel Member

In the programme handed out on the Polars before Christmas the Shakespeares, Lickey Incline and double headed Marches trips were all explicitly stated to be steam only with no diesel assistance, unlike other tours.

It's a nature of the beast these days that diesels are required for operational purposes and resilience. Hopefully those trips will be well supported by people who don't want a diesel in the consist.

18. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    Hang on - has this thread just had a load of posts removed before my very eyes?

19. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  20. Michael Whitehouse

Michael Whitehouse New Member

mike1522 likes this.