If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vintage Trains 2022

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Sidmouth, Jan 2, 2022.

1. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

It would indeed, but how you going to collect it?

I get the point re not wanting start points miles from home, albeit I note that it takes c.4.5 hrs to get the stock down to Chester for the Dalesman running today (and a repeat through the summer), I suspect it could take similar to get stock to Glasgow Central or Edinburgh and where else is in that sort of distance from Carnforth? As for length of day, considering they have 86401 now would a day out from the north incorporating the Shap/S&C triangle be that much longer, even hark back to the SLOA days and rather than Clitheroe/Preston whack a 47 on the front and take it back via Wennington to Carnforth?

I have no doubt that the operators have done the maths and it doesn't work.

2. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Now available to book, but for April 2023.

3. bleeder4

bleeder4 Member

The Oxford trip has disappeared completely, so I think that one has been canned

4. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Talk about bad luck. Vintage Trains will now probably lose the Welsh Marches railtour on 8th October due to the latest rail strike.
    It involves more than 40,000 workers from Notwork Rail and 15 train operators. <BJ>

5. dublo6231

dublo6231 Member

IT
    Interestingly dates already scheduled for next years/season of Shakespeare Express (booking but at this years prices) including a date in both April and May. Certainly interested in a spin from Stratford to Brum and back.

6. Sam 60103

Sam 60103 Member

That was due to be the return of 5043. Possibly the other trip is off because of the delays with 5043 but I suspect other reasons (cost of living) are the real reason.

7. 16Ventnor

16Ventnor New Member

Retired
    This is now the fourth railtour on trot that I have had cancelled through low bookings or strike. The amount of work putting together dates and hotels and then having to unravel everything is becoming wearisome. I wonder if the current strikes are affecting the amount of people booking. I'm a die-hard railfan but the 'ordinaries' out there must wonder if it's worth even trying to do a rail trip. So apart from feeling sore about all this, my sympathies go with the charter companies who similarly have to unravel a vast amount of work.....for nothing. Without wishing to be political, I can't see the unions winning much sympathy (do they care, I wonder) especially given a lot of the strikes seem to be at weekend (I think). The two weeks' notice I also feel is far too short given the leisure market requires much longer lead in times which sometimes cannot be unravelled in time, consequently incurring costs. Sorry, about the moan, just feeling utterly disappointed....again.

Spitfire likes this.
  8. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

Dreadful. But it IS political, precipitated by a government which forces cuts on already underfunded services like Network Rail, whilst pulling back on the reforms and enhancement it promised.

mgl, MellishR and acorb like this.
  9. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Are they not striking at weekends because post Covid that is when trains are fullest.

10. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

The strikes on the 1st October are intended to cause disruption to the Conservative party conference.

Sent from my XQ-BT52 using Tapatalk

11. bleeder4

bleeder4 Member

I certainly wouldn't want to be a charter organiser right now. An uncertain market, where what used to work as a day out doesn't work now, coupled with strikes at just 2 weeks notice. I notice there's a Statesman to Penzance on 8th October, which was postponed to that date when the original date in June classed with a strike. So now we have the same railtour affected by a strike on 2 separate dates!

Liz Truss has been making some noise about limiting the number of strikes unions can call, and also increasing the notice period, which I imagine will be welcomed by the charter operators.

Spitfire likes this.