If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Trolleybuses at the East Anglia Transport Museum.

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by 45669, Nov 28, 2021.

1. 45669

45669 Member

Retired
    Evening All,

A splendid place to visit if in the area is the East Anglia Transport Museum at Carlton Colville which is near Lowestoft in Suffolk. It's a while since I was last there, but I recently came across a couple of minutes footage of the trolleybuses that were in action that day:

Hope it's of interest.

TTFN,

Ron.

2. mdewell

mdewell Well-Known Member

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I visited way back in 2012 but would certainly go again if I was in the area. Their main focus is the tramways and trolleybuses, but they do also have a 2ft gauge railway (recently extended I believe). They have a way to go to catch up with the likes of Crich or Beamish but seem to have similar ambitions to those.
    Full details here https://www.eatransportmuseum.co.uk/

3. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I went to this years main trolleybus event there back in September and can confirm that the narrow-gauge line has been extended from its original western terminus on to the land recently purchased to enlarge the site. This almost doubles the length of the previous line (at a rough estimate), and the same will eventually apply to the trolleybus route. The NG extension seemed to be the first work done on the new site, apart from some temporary storage buildings that have gone up on there.

mdewell likes this.
  4. 45669

45669 Member

Retired
    That's good to know. Thanks for the update.

5. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

They don't appear to mention the extension to the site on their website (the blog was last updated several years ago...) but the area in question is shown on a Google map view.........

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...7:0xf65e4270ad6ef5!8m2!3d52.451849!4d1.693904

Its the untended field with the 2 containers sitting in it. The NG line enters the area just to the north of those containers, then heads south past then to the southern boundary, before turning west to follow the boundary as far as the tree there. They have built a station platform, but its not available for public use yet - the locos just run round in the loop there.

I managed to find the proposals for the area on a Flickr site, of all places....
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/rtw501/32488474337

6. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Part of the furniture

Thorn in my managers side