If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Great Britain XVI - 13/04/24 to 21/04/24

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Paul42, Jul 26, 2023.

1. GBoreham

GBoreham Member

Footage of the Fives and 34067 racing south past Beckfoot then Tangmere attacking the stiff grade through Thatto Heath on the Liverpool line. Good to see that there was little or no assistance from the 47 with the Bullied doing virtually all the work.

Riley, Linesider, hampstead and 7 others like this.
  2. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Over to Leyland in plenty of time, I was third person on the platform and the first to set up a tripod - its the early worm that catches . . . ? There was sun but a cool breeze although it was pleasant enough waiting. Someone who I have met several times arrived and we chatted as we waited; he had been up to Beattock to photograph the fives. The trains came and went, mainly the usual mixture of NT, TP and Avanti but of note was the log train that roared and rumbled south on the slow line.

The station was filling up with watchers and photographers, most appeared to be keeping track of progress on smart phones. Not everyone had realised that the NBelle train was due through immediately before the steamer. The trains on the northbound fast had cleared, our view should be unobstructed. On time the sound of the approaching Northern Belle could be heard, going slowly, a glance behind at the signal revealed that it was showing single amber. A blast on the horn and the 57s trundled past. 1L & 22mph.

Tangmere was booked to pass 6 minutes later, would there be time for the signal to clear? The NB was turning off the main line at Euxton Jn so there was a chance. As the minutes ticked by the signal continued to show a single amber, then it flicked to double amber shortly before Tangmere was booked to pass. We waited, then a bit of chatter of the 3 cylinder loco kind, then it stopped and Tangmere appeared with thick black smoke oozing from her chimney. Presumably the driver had sighted the signal and closed the regulator. Tangmere rushed thro' the station with a blast on the whistle and black smoke streaming from her chimney. The low sun in the west shone brightly on the side of the loco and the train, pretty as a picture. 13C, 1L & 54mph. Oswald had managed to press record (well done Oswald - this time!) so he went home for his tea (cheese & onion pie - mmm). Mrs W went out for a walk and saw, a hare, 2 curlews and a barn owl hunting - so we both had a good time.

jsm8b, Linesider, leander and 11 others like this.
  3. nige757

nige757 Member

retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    44871 + 45407 seen leaving Abington Loop then half a mile south, Cleuchside, Breckonhill then with 34067 at Clifton and near Hackthorpe followed by movement footage of the Black 5s, Monday heading to Carlisle then today leaving EVGL and Hackthorpe.

Linesider, leander, RalphW and 7 others like this.
  4. stevenjcrozier

stevenjcrozier New Member

Acouple of shots from this week, one on the HML at Slochd and one on the Kyle line at Achanalt 44871-45407_Slochd_160424.jpg 44871_Achanalt_170424.jpg

green five, Riley, wazza588 and 28 others like this.
  5. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
    Framed by some of the semaphore signals that still control train movements at Helsby, ex-LMS Stanier Black 5 4-6-0 No. 45407 The Lancashire Fusilier powers the Liverpool Lime Street to Swansea leg of the Great Britain XVI rail tour over the junction with the now little used line to Ellesmere Port on Saturday 20th April 2024.

EOS 5D Mark IV_240420_6418.jpg

Cheers,

6. 16Ventnor

16Ventnor Member

Retired
    Can’t lean out but reported that 47 removed at Craven Arms so just 2 Black 5s.

7. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    I see that both fives left Carnforth at the head of the ECS. At Preston 44871 was detached and headed directly to Chester Yard. 45407 took the ECS to Bamfurlong Jn and following a reversal the 47 led to Liverpool LS. 45407 then headed today's leg to Chester where 44871 was re-attached to the front. Probably to keep water stop at Chester short by minimising water consumption by 44871 (I'm not sure if water is available in Chester Yard) but only 45407 would need a major top up in the platform. Well planned and executed.

Edit: see post #310. Platform 9 limited to 12 vehicles, trust Oswald to miss the bleedin' obvious!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    Haighie and Linesider like this.
  8. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Yes confirmed unassisted over Heart of Wales line. Beautiful sunny day for it. Currently watering at Llandrindod.
    IMG_20240420_142831.jpg

Riley, Haighie, leander and 9 others like this.
  9. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    Dorrington this morning looked good for the sun and wind angles, however this was the best I could do.

_24Z1191 44871 & 45407 GB16 Dorrington 200424.jpg

PaulT, green five, Riley and 17 others like this.
  10. 16Ventnor

16Ventnor Member

Retired
    Consist was too long for platform at LLS for 3 locos hence one steam loco plus rear 47 to Chester. Climb out of LLS was memorable.

11. ribble

ribble Member

Black 5s 44871 and 45407 on the climb to Drumochter summit on the Highland Mainline with the GB tour on 16/4/2024

David Price
    Cop lane on Flickr DSC_0781.jpgLR copy.jpg

12. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

If there is a bit of a cloud over mainline steam at the moment, seeing the fives on the GBXVI has been the silver lining. Tangmere has also played its part, kudos to these ‘really useful engines’ (and their owners).

13. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    Summits - three Scottish summits in three days.

Druimachdar, Tuesday 16th April.

A lucky patch of sun by the summit board, although not the same spot as the WJV Anderson 1953 shot of two fives in the snow which may be a little further north than this.
    _24Z0887 44871 & 45407 GB16 Druimachdar summit 160424.jpg

Luib, Wednesday 17th April. A few yards short of the summit of the climb out of Glen Carron.

_24Z0985 4871 GB16 Luib 170424.jpg

Kennethmont, Thursday 18th April, in pouring rain. The website of the Ardmore distillery claims it to be at 600ft the highest point of the Northern (?) railway line. The site of Kennethmont station where it is situated is a just a little short of the end of 17 miles of undulating climbing from between Cairnie Jct and Rothiemay on what remains today of the GNSR system.

_24Z1048 44871 & 45407 GB16 Kennethmont 180424.jpg

I do wonder when any of these three lines will see steam again.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  14. acorb

Really fun day chasing steam through my part of Wales today. Glorious weather and the 5s sounded magnificent. Started at Craven Arms, then caught them again accelerating away from Dolau.
    Saw them at Llandrindod and Llanwrtyd, then finished with a rousing display blasting their way through the remote Sugar Loaf halt!
    Can only reiterate the above, a triumph in a difficult year for steam, thanks to all who made it possible.
    Below are some phone pics and screen grabs, hopefully not another 3 years before we see steam this way again.
    Screenshot_20240420_181535_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg Screenshot_20240420_181656_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg IMG_20240420_131746.jpg IMG_20240420_150515.jpg IMG_20240420_160405.jpg

frazoulaswak, PaulT, D1059 and 18 others like this.
  15. acorb

Notable the amount of people who had turned out to see the train today, everywhere was packed.

Waterbuck likes this.
  16. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    IMG_1199.jpeg
    Lucky you. Sadly the sun hid its face as they crossed Knucklas viaduct only to reappear just seconds after the last coach passed.

ykin01, frazoulaswak, PaulT and 15 others like this.
  17. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

Seconded, a lot did come out to see the immaculately turned out fives. It's been another wonderful tour.

Riley, RalphW, Haighie and 4 others like this.
  18. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  19. 30910

30910 Member

Retired
    45407 crossing the River Weaver on Day 8:

Riley, Shep Woolley, nige757 and 3 others like this.
  20. Mick45305

Mick45305 Member

In full agreement there Alan, unfortunately I had to cut it short in Edinburgh but it was another superb Great Britain from the legs I did. Great to be a part of a real success story in what is a trying time for the mainline steam movement. Everything from the company on board to watching the people involved at the sharp end deliver it all is an absolute pleasure. Long may it continue. :)

Romsey, Waterbuck, green five and 3 others like this.