If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR General Discussion

Тема в разделе 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK', создана пользователем threelinkdave, 20 авг 2014.

  1. thegrimeater

    thegrimeater Member

    Дата регистрации:
    12 сен 2008
    Сообщения:
    545
    Симпатии:
    135
    Пол:
    Мужской
    Род занятий:
    Admin
    Адрес:
    Huntingdon/Sheringham
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I see there is a vintage trains operated move coming into the SVR next Monday. Could anyone advise what it is? TIA

    https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U03058/2026-09-14/detailed
     
  2. SVR C&W

    SVR C&W New Member

    Дата регистрации:
    18 фев 2026
    Сообщения:
    23
    Симпатии:
    105
    Пол:
    Мужской
    Адрес:
    Kidderminster
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    sunstream нравится это.
  3. thegrimeater

    thegrimeater Member

    Дата регистрации:
    12 сен 2008
    Сообщения:
    545
    Симпатии:
    135
    Пол:
    Мужской
    Род занятий:
    Admin
    Адрес:
    Huntingdon/Sheringham
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Cool. Thank you for the swift response
     
  4. 35B

    35B Nat Pres stalwart

    Дата регистрации:
    18 июн 2011
    Сообщения:
    33.137
    Симпатии:
    36.625
    Пол:
    Мужской
    Адрес:
    Grantham
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That was my first reaction, and I suspect what the results will show. But if I lived in the catchment area, I'd have two major factors affecting my willingness to use this experiment. First is practicality if I don't live within walking distance. The second is changing my travel pattern for a short period and then having to revert.
     
    jnc нравится это.
  5. Dead Sheep

    Dead Sheep Member

    Дата регистрации:
    1 мар 2021
    Сообщения:
    350
    Симпатии:
    703
    Пол:
    Мужской
    Адрес:
    Ambridge
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Same feeling here too. Plus, (i) only having access to the service three days a week, (ii) being unable to adjust me season ticket for just three days, (iii) the inflexibility of no off-peak day time services, and (iv) the lack of assurance for a connection on my return journey in the case of a missed connection.
     
    35B нравится это.
  6. jnc

    jnc Well-Known Member

    Дата регистрации:
    3 апр 2012
    Сообщения:
    1.862
    Симпатии:
    3.226
    Пол:
    Мужской
    Адрес:
    Western Atlantic
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Practicality does rule the daily lives of most people. ("It's the economy, stupid!") So I'd expect price to be a huge factor, too.

    Noel
     
  7. 35B

    35B Nat Pres stalwart

    Дата регистрации:
    18 июн 2011
    Сообщения:
    33.137
    Симпатии:
    36.625
    Пол:
    Мужской
    Адрес:
    Grantham
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I'm sure it is, but I've no comparison point for this train as against existing arrangements. I fully agree with what @Dead Sheep writes; my comment is solely on how representative the results of this trial can be for any decision about whether to extend services
     
    jnc нравится это.
  8. Dead Sheep

    Dead Sheep Member

    Дата регистрации:
    1 мар 2021
    Сообщения:
    350
    Симпатии:
    703
    Пол:
    Мужской
    Адрес:
    Ambridge
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hopefully, the partnership supporting this experiment will factor in these mitigating circumstances when assessing its future. That said, if the decision rests on current passenger numbers and commensurate fare income alone, I find it difficult to see how the service could be judged viable.
     
    jnc и 35B нравится это.
  9. 35B

    35B Nat Pres stalwart

    Дата регистрации:
    18 июн 2011
    Сообщения:
    33.137
    Симпатии:
    36.625
    Пол:
    Мужской
    Адрес:
    Grantham
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I remain to be convinced of viability, no matter what. Most particularly, I remain concerned about how the very different natures of SVR and national network can be blended
     
    Spitfire, Paul42 и jnc нравится это.
  10. jnc

    jnc Well-Known Member

    Дата регистрации:
    3 апр 2012
    Сообщения:
    1.862
    Симпатии:
    3.226
    Пол:
    Мужской
    Адрес:
    Western Atlantic
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Well, this commercial experiment will provide a lot of useful data on that, as well as on other points. Look at the bright side: I expect the SVR is undertaking this just as an experiment; not nailing the whole future of the line, as an organization, to its success (unlike a certain other line we can all name, but will refrain from so doing).

    Noel
     
  11. 2857Harry

    2857Harry Well-Known Member

    Дата регистрации:
    5 июн 2023
    Сообщения:
    2.040
    Симпатии:
    4.757
    Пол:
    Мужской
    Род занятий:
    Conductor/Guard
    Адрес:
    Kidderminster/Leeds
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    As I said above, but seem to need to repeat….

    It is funded through the WMRE. It’s a really joined up, collaborative scheme which is designed to test the water. There’s no loser in it at all. SVR get paid to run it as a contract job, so can’t lose. WMRE fund it, and get the data needed to prove the concept or prove it doesn’t work. WMR complete a commitment of their franchise. So everyone ticks good boxes.
     
    alts1985, acorb, Aberdare и 5 другим нравится это.
  12. 35B

    35B Nat Pres stalwart

    Дата регистрации:
    18 июн 2011
    Сообщения:
    33.137
    Симпатии:
    36.625
    Пол:
    Мужской
    Адрес:
    Grantham
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Short term, I absolutely agree - my observations were all about how a trial might morph into a firm commitment, and what that may mean.
     
  13. 2857Harry

    2857Harry Well-Known Member

    Дата регистрации:
    5 июн 2023
    Сообщения:
    2.040
    Симпатии:
    4.757
    Пол:
    Мужской
    Род занятий:
    Conductor/Guard
    Адрес:
    Kidderminster/Leeds
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well that is obviously going to be considered post trial. I don’t think there’s a way to do it other than it’s current form tbh
     
  14. NathanP

    NathanP Well-Known Member

    Дата регистрации:
    4 мар 2017
    Сообщения:
    1.380
    Симпатии:
    1.605
    Пол:
    Мужской
    Адрес:
    Worcester
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    What about WMR running a 172 through from Birmingham to Bewdley? Would that work? There seem to be plenty of WMR employees that volunteer on SVR, so route knowledge shouldn't be too much of an issue.
     
  15. jamesd

    jamesd Member

    Дата регистрации:
    24 авг 2009
    Сообщения:
    715
    Симпатии:
    438
    Адрес:
    S Wales
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The WMR Kidderminster terminators seem to sit in the siding at Kidderminster for approx 30 mins. Is that enough time to get to Bewdley and back?
     
  16. Collett Goods

    Collett Goods New Member

    Дата регистрации:
    20 окт 2008
    Сообщения:
    96
    Симпатии:
    28
    As I will be arriving at Kidderminster by train on Wednesday 16th can I use my "Priv" ticket for a single to Bewdley.
     
  17. 2857Harry

    2857Harry Well-Known Member

    Дата регистрации:
    5 июн 2023
    Сообщения:
    2.040
    Симпатии:
    4.757
    Пол:
    Мужской
    Род занятий:
    Conductor/Guard
    Адрес:
    Kidderminster/Leeds
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It’s far from easy I’m afraid.

    WMR don’t own the trains. So you’ve got to be confident with both WMR and leasing company wanting their rolling stock used on the SVR.

    ASLEF and RMT would definitely have something to say. It’s still a light railway at the end of the day, it’s two different rule books, two different operations. So unless you propose giving up BDY-KDR to Network Rail, and running an NYMR style service for the SVR (Ie Kidderminster services become like Whitby) I don’t see how that clash would be resolved.

    How would it work? You couldn’t get just the people who sign both sides of the fence to drive and guard. You’d never staff it. Every WMR driver and guard from probably BSH and WOS would have to sign it to be fair to all. Couldn’t just single staff out, not how it works. And couldn’t do it with volunteers as WMR would almost certainly want their paid teams to drive and guard the units.

    There’s a whole host of other issues
     
    jnc нравится это.
  18. Gladiator 5076

    Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

    Дата регистрации:
    2 окт 2015
    Сообщения:
    10.135
    Симпатии:
    8.544
    Пол:
    Мужской
    Адрес:
    Swanage
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes I think it is the chosen parameters of the trial that make what ever data is collected somewhat debatable. Mondays and Fridays may be quieter these days due to WFH, but is a service (for the trial) that attractive to those that already have a set commute route? With such a limited number of trains both ways, you really need a job that guarantees and arrival and departure time from your employment to be able to consider using it.
    Then of course you have all the issues from disruption on the main railway which may mean you end up in Kidderminster after the last train has departed to Bewdley with your car some way off and a trek to the bus station.
    I accept it will not be costing the SVR anything and therefore worth trying.
    I also notice that most journey planners still do not recognise Bewdley SVR, although NRE did direct to LNWR booking engine. However that took out all the data I had previously entered. So in real life I would have probably just give up. I did persevere but then it would not produce a result to allow ticket purchase anyway.
     
    Dead Sheep и jnc нравится это.
  19. Jamessquared

    Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

    Дата регистрации:
    8 мар 2008
    Сообщения:
    29.683
    Симпатии:
    73.290
    Адрес:
    LBSC 215
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Even assuming it is sufficient time in ideal circumstances - what happens when a late running SVR service causes the WMR one to be delayed? Or a late running WMR service delays an SVR one?

    You run the risk that the tail wags the dog - ie a limited WMR service puts significant constraints on the core SVR heritage service. You can already see how that works out on the NYMR where the immovable national timetable on the Esk Valley line starts putting significant constraints on how the much longer heritage line develops its timetable.

    I remain to be convinced that any kind of line sharing between heritage and national services can be made to work; the only viable model I could see is something like Alton where the heritage and mainline services share a station but are entirely disconnected from each other operationally. But that really is a million miles away from what is being proposed.

    Tom
     
    Paul42, Kje7812, 5944 и 5 другим нравится это.
  20. Gladiator 5076

    Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

    Дата регистрации:
    2 окт 2015
    Сообщения:
    10.135
    Симпатии:
    8.544
    Пол:
    Мужской
    Адрес:
    Swanage
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Plus contrary to what the industry would have you believe, DR is not the answer to everything.
     

Поделиться этой страницей