If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Autumn Gala 17-20th September

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Kje7812, Jul 22, 2015.

1. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    How about trying all night running Battersby-Whitby, rather than on the NYMR? Higher speeds, fewer 'boxes to keep open - now that would be something different!

2. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    Crikey, opened a bit of a debate with my last post, firstly I do appreciate that crewing is a big thing, then again for some staff I know they rather enjoy it. Although rostering staff for certain locos to make it happen helps (how do you fancy doing a turn behind 46100,828,70000 or 60163) dosnt matter if your on the footplate or traincrew it's certainly a sweetener.
    Secondly from what I've been told Loco crews are told to keep all noise to a minimum, and residents who live close to the railway are offered reduced tickets to travel.
    Thirdley and going back to Alex's point about B+B's Im sure you wouldnt struggle to find one in say Whitby, Swanage or Sheringham maybe? I do realise Im undermining my favorite railway so I'm going to shut up! Although I've just remembered the East Lancs has done all night running for their Nightrider events with diesels!

3. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Pub quiz question? What Was the year the last time the SVR didnt run all night? Although they di run late

4. davesrailwayphotos

davesrailwayphotos Member

Semi-Professional Musician
    2007 with the short railway?

5. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I'm afraid Steven whoever told you that was incorrect, it was started as a gimmick that bit is true but in response to falling passenger numbers. It was 1993, 5775, 4422 & 69621 with 600, 4566, 5764, 2857, 6960, 7714, 7819, 7325 2968, 46443, 8233, 3442, 75069 & 80079 all working that weekend (a gala record - 47383 & 46521 were also in working order but out on loan to the NNR & GWSR respectively), I think that line up would be considered up there with the best even if the gala hadn't had all night running.

Yes 2007 and before that it was 2000.

6. maninthecorner

maninthecorner New Member

This was a great event, although the shuttles were missed at Hampton Loade and Highley as the gaps between trains in the mornings seemed very long.

I always keep away from the railway on Saturday during the day as it gets overcrowded. A pub crawl around Bridgnorth or Kidderminster normaly takes up the afternoon, what i found surprising was the number of locals who had no idea of what was going on at the railway that weekend, especially the overnight trains. Having a curry later at the Eurasia just up the hill from the station the owner said he would consider opening all day on that weekend if he was made aware of the potential custom.

The night trains seemed to be well used. Mostly well behaved passengers. The security staff (new this year i think) seemed under used which is good. One of the nice things about the overnights is the game of nodding off and then trying to guess where you are through the steamed up windows. Most people were well behaved, the atmosphere was spoilt though on one train by a group of people who insisted on talking at full volume at 2.30am making dozing off imposible for anyone else in that carriage. Plus even worse was the anticks of a group (who seemed to be from the SVR) one of which walked down the train shouting "Wakey Wakey" in the small hours which is totally unaceptable.

The overnights are special and need to be experianced to understand the fantastic atmosphere. I often get off the train at Arley around 11 have a pint in the pub and get back to the station to hear the sound of the next train coming up the Valley, a sound you can hear for 20min or more before the train arrives. Mix that with the noises from the signal box, the sounds of animals in the fields and the hiss of the gas lamps. Special indeed.

I always leave the overnights at around 4 to retire to my hotel to sleep and shower, i know a lot over the overnighters do this some coming out at midnight i would say that only 10 per cent of the overnighters use the trains as a hotel, many leave the railway and go home on day two to be replaced by a new set. There are seemed to be only a few who were doning both days fully maybe 5 per cent. The point i am making is we are not all the "Great Unwashed" nor are all the overnighters using the railway as a hotel.

Looking forward to next years gala already, although being a week later it will be colder overnight.

Good night everybody.

7. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Well I used the train as a hotel on the Friday night but I certainly couldn't manage both nights! The guys I was chatting to on the train just seemed amused we had security, given that as far as we could see he just walked up and down the train doing very little.

8. Robert Batty

Robert Batty New Member

I made it through to 3:15, but only because I fell asleep just before I was supposed to get off so had to go back down and swap at Arley and catch the next one up.

Looking forward to doing it again next year - probably stay on the train - don't worry, I'll bring a wash kit with me ;)

9. Robert Batty

Robert Batty New Member

10. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

The past few years there has been a bit of bother on the overnights (a little bit on the friday this year as well unfortunately).

11. flying scotsman123

I guessed you probably had had problems before, but all was fine in my carriage on the Friday night, save for some chaps who were talking a bit too loudly 'til about 3am! I was thinking that I'd love to have an overnight turn TTIing but on second thoughts it might not be all fun when folks get chucked out of the pub at 1am and stagger onto the train!

12. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

Ah yeah I figured that there must have been problems in the past to warrant bouncers on the train, plus the explicit warning in the programme. So was anyone asked to leave the railway for being intoxicated?

13. Kje7812

Some people had a set to in the GNR at Bridgnorth on Friday. Well, that's what I've heard anyway, I was on the train getting to Bridgnorth at the time.
    Hmm, I've yet to take the opportunity. Maybe next year on the Friday.

14. Kje7812

Unfortunately yes and more for abusive behaviour and acts of minor vandalism which were alcohol fuelled.

15. flying scotsman123

Ah, I was on t'other train I think, relaxing in the reclining chair in the experimental open - definitely the best seats for overnighting!

16. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Talyllyn often do all night running during a summer gala. I've done it once. Frozen stiff and numb bum from the seats! It's a lot better at the Valley, believe me!

17. Kje7812

Probably, the lights in the GNR don't dim so on Saturday/Sunday we had to put a blanklet between the luggage racks to block the lights out.

18. flying scotsman123

Better than in the Autocoach Friday evening where they gently faded away to nothing just as it was getting dark! That was very dark indeed!

lil Bear likes this.
  19. Kje7812

178's dynamo is inoperative atm so lights are on pre-charged battery power only.

20. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre