If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Strathspey Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by steam_mad, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Buried in that commentary is what I think we know already - namely that a loco footplate is a place where everyone is there for a reason and the operational element of why they are there has to be clear.

Maunsell907, Aberdare, 26D_M and 5 others like this.
  2. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Joint statement issued by the Company and Association. A new group led by John Yule has been formed called the Way Forward Group, which aims to bring together the Company, Association, stakeholders and like minded individuals. John is described as a well known and respected individual - volunteer driver, former board member, chairman of the Trust and petition signatory. A joint board group has also been set up to promote collaboration.
    John also released a statement of achievements and aims - to attempt to grasp some positivity out of current situation:
    -6 days of festive services planned (nearly sold out).
    -Passenger numbers have nearly returned to pre-covid levels.
    -loco crew assessments planned imminently to establish enough crews available for next year.
    -Initial 4 day week timetable planned for 2024 to allow group bookings to be taken. This can be built on subject to demand and availability of resources next year.
    -General Manager post being advertised.
    -'Survive to Thrive' appeal to be launched.

Continued challenges include cash flow and ongoing politics, but new approach aims to build on co operation between groups - but seems communication is still an issue between departments. The board continue to deal with ORR improvement notice, insurance claims, SEPA concerns and anonymous complaints to ORR.

Seems some signs of green shoots and effort to improve mood music, but clearly a lot of challenges remain in Aviemore. The regular email updates and honesty in last member magazine are appreciated and must be taken as a positive.

Last point made was that the railway was still running, unlike the funicular - not sure that's the best measure for success!!

3. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Anonymously made to ORR, or ORR removing the names from complaints that they pass on? If the former I would hope that ORR files them in the WPB.
    Pat

4. acorb

Given the remit of the ORR's ongoing investigation post FS incident, I dont think many stones will be left unturned, with or without these other complaints. They will either help prove or disprove the broader issue.
    The whole point of the political turmoil is that some staff feel the Flying Scotsman incident was a symptom of a broader problem that had been coming to a head for a while and was being ignored by those at the top.
    Hopefully the necessary changes will be made to satisfy the ORR, but also result in a railway better structured to face the 21st century.

5. steam_mad

steam_mad Member

6. alexl102

alexl102 Member

Have there been any updates from the railway, officially or otherwise, following the much-publicised walkout and other unrest?

7. Dead Sheep

Dead Sheep Member

8. Foxontour

Foxontour New Member

It is very unhelpful to post a link to an article that is nearly five months old, which has a typical journalist sensationalist headline. The meeting was the annual association AGM, happens every year and is quite normal, obviously the events at the railway were discussed, but rescue plan, really?

There have been some changes, people come, people go but life goes on. The railway continued to run its services up to the end of last season, had a successful Christmas service and has just finished a very well patronised half-term steam service.

We are looking forward to a successful 2024 season in which we will be welcoming the Pathfinder Spring Highlander charter over Easter and the return of the Belmond Royal Scotsman.

Paul Grant and acorb like this.
  9. Dead Sheep

Dead Sheep Member

No need to get shirty with me. Please have the courtesy of taking your complaint out on the Strathspey Herald. On this forum, we should be polite. Please remember that basic fact.

alexl102 and ghost like this.
  10. alexl102

alexl102 Member

I have to say, this comes across very touchy given that it’s in response to a comment effectively saying things were on the up. Is all not so well under the surface still?

11. acorb

Positive to hear the Belmond is returning again and half term was well patronised.

What I will say is that I have not yet received my membership renewal invitation through yet and not had any email updates since before Christmas. The promise of better communication seems to have gone a little quiet.

12. Foxontour

Foxontour New Member

There is a Strathspey Express magazine due out soon, I expect that the membership renewals will be with that. I would say that communication between the company and the volunteers has improved, communication with the members is down to the association, perhaps they have gone back to using the magazine for info. They will have to be given a little reminder.

acorb likes this.
  13. acorb

We are booked on the Strathspey this Sunday, according to the lady we had the last few seats for a light lunch, so looks like a promising start to the season.
    Membership renewal was indeed with the latest express magazine and promptly turned around within a few days of sending it off, so in plenty of time for our trip north this Easter - however weather forecast looks more winter than spring!!

JBTEvans and Paul Grant like this.
  14. Foxontour

Foxontour New Member

We are hosting the Pathfinder “Easter Chieftain” this weekend, some of the passengers are having lunch with us on Sunday, instead of going on the Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen, Inverness, Aviemore circular tour that the charter is doing. Unfortunately, I will not be at the railway this weekend, it’s my wedding anniversary and the retribution of my going to the railway is something I wouldn’t like to contemplate.

5944 and acorb like this.
  15. acorb

Delayed post, as had to wait until I got home as limited WiFi at the holiday cottage!
    Very enjoyable day out on Easter Sunday, 46512 provided the motive power. Service was well filled, staff superb as always.
    The scenery simply beautiful, with snow capped mountains.

P1220520.JPG IMG_20240331_125357.jpg

16. steam_mad

steam_mad Member

banburysaint, ykin01, MattA and 22 others like this.
  17. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Well-Known Member

From what progress had been made when she arrived back at Aviemore to now (via some Covid years), that is a serious shift to get her steaming and moving again. A major credit to the Carmyllie Pilot group and Strathspey's engineering team! I'll need to get back soon for some dual Ivatt action.

hyboy, acorb, Chris86 and 1 other person like this.
  18. malc

malc Part of the furniture

There’s a video on the website of 46464 moving a short distance under its own steam. Good to see that the priority is to make sure that it works properly before painting it.

ykin01, acorb, JBTEvans and 6 others like this.
  19. acorb

Fantastic to see, the Ivatts really are the perfect loco for the railway - it will see a lot of use.

Seems to be the Strathspey way, the Black 5 ran in undercoat for a while before being painted. Seems sensible to me.

20. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

As someone who grew up with sixty four forty three and sixty two fifty one I will say that the only thing better than a ‘Mickey Mouse’ is a pair of them :)