If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Strathspey Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by steam_mad, Oct 30, 2015.

1. W.Williams

W.Williams Well-Known Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This is exciting. When was the last time the Strathspey had a Pacific in residence?

2. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    1986, I think. Maude and 60009 stayed for a short period on the way back from an Inverness MPD open day. 60009 didn't work any services though.

W.Williams likes this.
  3. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

4. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Great way to create a one way system for visitors...

5. Foxontour

Foxontour New Member

If you search for Scottish traction engine society you will find some info, they always put on a display at Boat of Garten during these events. This link will take you to the 2008 event. https://scottishtractionenginesociety.co.uk/early-days/the-boat-of-garten-days/boat-of-garten-2008/
    It states that it was the third such event. In those days a two train service was a major event, it gradually got bigger as time went by.

mgl and Wagoniester like this.
  6. Foxontour

Foxontour New Member

It seems to have gone under the radar. It was announced at the Strathspey railway association AGM in November, that LNER Beavertail 1719 would be moving to Aviemore.

7. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Permanently or just a loan? Fair play though it’s a bit of a coup.

8. Foxontour

Foxontour New Member

As far as I am aware it is permanent. It hasn't arrived yet, it has gone to have some work done in Burton on Trent.

Johnme101, MuzTrem and Matt37401 like this.
  9. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Many thanks for the info. Argh, if only it had gone last year! I finally made it to Aviemore for the first time in September; it's such a long way for me that it's not a journey I can afford to make very often...:rolleyes:

10. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Well-Known Member

I understand its to be rescheduled which seems weird to announce the dates for it to be sidelined by the Flying Scotsman announcement almost immediately. The Beavertail is a real boon and certainly didn't see it coming. The logic as I understood it when I was around that the steam gala as we recognise it wasn't viable partially because of the distance and costs involved in bringing locomotives in and there wasn't much of a home fleet so it'll be interesting to see what the steam gala holds. From a hired in Austerity tank with another ex colliery locomotive bearing the brunt of the work to 3 nearly 4 operational ex BR Mainline locomotives with one out on hire. 15 years of serious hard work, new young personnel and a major culture change.

mgl, jonathonag, 5944 and 1 other person like this.
  11. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Hopefully two Ivatts and a Black 5.828 would be a bonus if back but hopefully no visitors ..most making the journey will be going for the homefleet considering the distance most will travel .

hyboy likes this.
  12. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

According to Steam Railway it’s a 5 year deal.

13. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Have heard a rumour that Thompson buffet-lounge car 1706 may be on its way there too - it would make for a very nice combination if true, but I'm not sure if it is.

14. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

That would be this one then? Seen here at Mallaig as Sc1706E in April '77. Like the Obo car it also has proper Highland provenance. Pity the Mallaig station canopy did not survive as well.
    77-4-16 21 copy.jpg

Peter

brmp201 and JBTEvans like this.
  15. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Sad to say, I'm reliably told that this a false rumour...

16. Foxontour

Foxontour New Member

Diesel Gala becomes a mixed traffic event.

"Our Diesel Gala will now be a Mixed Traffic Gala featuring our home fleet of locos - Diesel: Class 27,31,37 and diesel shunters.
    Steam: Ivatt 2MT and Black 5, our home fleet will be operating two rakes of coaches, two freight trains and diesel shunter rides.
    With services running late into the evening this will be an intensive weekend of operations which we all hope as many of you will come and travel on!

As usual all this will be subject to availability, we hope our visitors will enjoy the revised event"
    331782432_515733504093995_378968853034271414_n.jpg

17. Charles Parry

Charles Parry Member

Ooo. I hadn't been interesting in a straight diesel gala, but I only live in Glasgow and have the week off... think I'll have to pop by!

18. Foxontour

Foxontour New Member

Timetable now issued

Attached Files:

19. Foxontour

Foxontour New Member

20. Charles Parry

Charles Parry Member

Surprised (or rather not, see later) no one has mentioned the mixed traffic gala over the weekend.

Absolutely superb weather made it easily worth catching the 7am from Glasgow to Aviemore, a truly stunning rail journey in itself. I chose to watch the first departure leave before grabbing a sausage sandwich in case catering options were low on the trains (they weren't, snacks on one, hot food on the other). When I returned the Ivatt was backing in with the shiny new Bevertail attached. I thought it would have a fairly hefty supplement attached (it being the such a spectacular view and it being its inaugural weekend) but upon enquiring all that was required was a standard class ticket (whilst they figured out the logistics, it will cost significantly more when it enters regular service). And what a beauty she is, incredibly comfortable and perfectly suited to the line. And the return journey with the Ivatt's smokebox in front of the window was also a treat. Did a trip behind the Ivatt followed by a walk in the woods and grabbing a pic of the steam double header, then heading back for a trip on the double-headed steam and a jaunt behind the 37 to finish. Plenty of shunters busying themselves and goods workings. It was quite an impressive set up for what is a more commercial operation.

I was very surprised that it was rather... unbusy, particularly given the stunning weather. On the first steam departure, there was less than a dozen of us in the Bevertail (though that did fill up but there was always a spare seat). But they don't seem to be a "high capacity" line, set A consisting of a storage MK1 with no seats, a pantry car with no seats, a kitchen car with 8 seats that you weren't allowed to use, and then two TSOs. So on a five coach train there were only two passenger carrying vehicles, although the roll and square sausage was a nice late afternoon treat.

All in all a cracking event that I hope was better attended once the weekend really staarted.

20230407_131727.jpg 20230407_103555.jpg 20230407_161400.jpg 20230407_161430.jpg 20230407_112604.jpg

Attached Files: