If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Stoomtram Hoorn, Netherlands

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by Kingscross, Apr 11, 2024.

1. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I’m on a cycle trip with the family through Holland (the bike infrastructure is everything you’ve been told about, it’s great with kids) and today we had a day off the bikes and on the Stoomtram Hoorn. It’s a very slick operation, and I mean that it the best way. The stations are clean and polished, the children get an activity pack included with the tickets, and the engines are lovely. It’s twinned with the Bluebell, but has stronger similarities with the KESR; it’s very much a light railway.

Stuff goes on you wouldn’t see in the UK, including crossing a motorway on the level! At Medembilk, the Northern terminus, you can either return by train or do as we did and take a preserved passenger ferry down the coast to Enkhuizen. The MS Friesland is a lovely old thing, built in 1956. At Endhuizen you can wait in the lovely restored station (cracking bar/restaurant) for a main line train back to
    Hoorn, where you started.

Here’s some snaps:

Attached Files:

Greenway, desperado, Romsey and 2 others like this.