If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam Tight Stays

Discussion in 'Locomotive Engineering M.I.C' started by brennan, May 13, 2024.

1. brennan

brennan Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    In the BESTT training module on boiler stays ( https://www.bestt.org.uk/_files/ugd/2e4fbf_6d842609711640eb8ac8585e7170648f.pdf)

there is a section on the use of "steam tight" or "blind stays". These were/are used when the boiler cannot be removed from the frames and there is no access to the outer firebox sides.

The process requires special tooling and great patience and skill on the part of the craftsman. I've replaced many stays where access is available on both sides but this procedure looks very difficult with a lot of scope for damage to the boiler plates if there is any misalignment. A magazine article by an ex railway boiler smith makes a passing refence to this procedure being used in a running shed but also notes that when the job cropped up the senior boilersmith usually went off sick!

Has anyone any experience of this procedure and is it ever used in preservation?

2. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not a job to be lightly undertaken!

3. 3855

3855 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Graham Beddow (ex SVR boilersmith) knew how to fit steamtight stays and i believe a set of taps exist(ed) in the boiler shop at Bridgnorth..