If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Shepherd Neame "Spitfire" 6th September with 34067

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by green five, Jul 20, 2009.

1. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Booked this trip with 34067 up at the weekend. Looks pretty good with a run from London to Faversham Hop Festival and a short run with steam back to Sheerness (34067 working out of Sheerness) and then Faversham back to London via Dover. Was originally rostered to 70013 but has now been changed to Tangmere. Any body else from the forum on this trip?

2. CVR 4771

CVR 4771 New Member

Yes, i booked on this tour when Cromwell was still down to do it. Little bit disappointed is now Tangmere but as least it is still steam and we get that rare bit of steam track down from Sheerness.

3. Phil K

Phil K Member

I'm booked behind this one too, also disappointed about the loco change but have never had a bad run behind Tangmere so will still look forward to it. Cromwell is fast becoming a favourite though. No worries, still have 70013 on Upton Scudamore to look forward to in a couple of weeks.

This will be the 3rd "Spitfire" we've done, and it's always proved to be an awesome day out, especially 45231 up Sole Street in 2005.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] [​IMG]

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's tempting but I've got to try and squeeze in a Shakesepare and a Torbay in September as well as man a stall at the NNR Gala. The latter being the same weekend as this trip. :smt013

5. jonwright87

jonwright87 Member

Student (Civil Engineering) P-Way Engineer on Lond
    What happened to all the posts?

In case the posts are not restored, I will offer again... I have 3 standard class tickets Victoria-Faversham-Sheerness now for sale, please conact me through private messaging if anyone is interested and we can work out some propper way of doing this.

I am still unimpressed by how Cromwell has been able to pull out of the Spitfire

6. green five

Another change to this train. UKsteam info now shows the train going from London Bridge instead of Victoria. I hope we can get there.

7. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

Has anyone an idea of the route outwards between London Bridge and Swanley please?

Not happy as passengers we were joining/leaving the train @ Bromley south. Now may have to travel into London as there is no Public Transport that will allow us to travel from home to Swanley and back from Chislehurst on this Sunday (via any sensible/practical route anyway).

We booked and paid for a trip with Oliver Cromwell from Victoria with the option of a Bromley south Pick up and are being delivered a tour from London Bridge with a Swanley Pick up/Chislehurst set down hauled by Tangmere.

I accept these changes have been forced upon Shepherd Neame , however I think I am going to ask for a refund as the product now being delivered is so different to that which I purchased. I do not think that there "small print" about no refunds could be legally valid in these circumstances.

8. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

Well I am looking forward to it, getting to London Bridge is a bit of a pain but never mind, Waterloo and walk or get the tube.

I've not be out of the Bridge behind steam so I am more than happy with the change

9. Spitfire

Spitfire New Member

General Manager
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    London Bridge - Spa Rd Jn - North Kent East Jn - New Cross - St John's - Parks Bridge Jn - Hither Green - Grove park - Chislehurst - St Mary Cray Jn - Swanley . . .

There are trains between Bromley South and Swanley and Chislehurst - Bromley South requires a change at Petts Wood - according to Nationalrail.co.uk timings and connections aren't bad.

10. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

I think you got a better deal with Tangmere, rather than Cromwell.

11. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

I have ridden behind Tangmere on many occasions, part of the novelty of this trip, for me, was haulage by 70013!

12. green five

Looks like we will be walking as there is engineering works on the Jubilee line on the 6th Sept. Part of the line is shut going from Waterloo. The section to London Bridge is open but I bet it will be packed.

13. wehaveaproblem

wehaveaproblem Member

Draughtsman
    Anyone got timings for engine and stock movements before and after Spitfire Tour? Thanks in advance.

14. dgraw

dgraw New Member

Post since become irelevant.

15. BR 73082

BR 73082 Member

Saw Tangmere pass Hither Green earlier this evening with the ECS working to Grove Park where she is stabling overnight. Stock was the Steam Dreams set minus the kitchen car. Diesel for the tour is 37706. Shot of it here:

16. Bulleidfan

Bulleidfan New Member

Through Gillingham early

She passed through Gillingham about 4 minutes early, looking good, packed train!

17. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Yep, and still a little early at Newington. Maybe they were hurrying to get to Faversham before they sold out of beer on onboard!

Attached Files:

18. Mike Corris

Mike Corris New Member

Have just uploaded a video of the Spitfire arriving & departing from Swanley. If I have gone overboard by claiming it to be the first steam train to stop here since the end of steam please let me know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7or78pRpWVY

19. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Member

Joiner
    Thought they'd be rushing to get to the beer at Faversham ! O:)
    Brian

20. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Went back out this afternoon to get some more photos in weather that, where I was standing, was always c..p! But Tangy was always making a lovely noise. Such a lovely steam locomotive.

Leaving Swale Bridge, Snowdown, Sandling and Sevington Loop. I am guessing that the stop at Sevington was to allow the box to catch up and get stuck onto the last coach again?

Attached Files: