If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SHAKESPEARE EXPRESS 2011

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by campainr, Jun 5, 2011.

1. GWR176

GWR176 New Member

It's a shame a simple correction had to be ruined by a sarcastic comment, especially from such an obvious insider.

UKSteam certainly provides a great service that we certainly would be the poorer for the lack off.

2. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I think David at UKSteam can be excused the odd error with all the good work he does for people like us, and im sure what he gets told is in good faith even if occasionally not right.

Anyway the main thing here is that Halls do indeed fit on a turn that is tailor made for them, so i look forward to seeing Rood Ashton & Kinlet plying their trade in the coming weeks.

For todays run 5043 is doing the honours anyway, looking splendid as it headed down to Stratford this morning.

3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  4. 6136

6136 Member

Thoroughly enjoyable from 5043 today. Re. Bordesley we ran through carefully with the crew watching the cylinders pass the platform edge. It looks to me as if a number of coping stones have been re-seated recently and a couple of them sit proud of the rest of the platform edge. If this is the problem the cure should be relatively easy.

5. Sidmouth

I believe that 4936 was promoted in good faith at the time it was done so . Halls have run quite happily past Bordesley for 12 seasons , however the railway constanttly changes and something flagged a gauging issue at short notice which caused 5043 to deputise yesterday . I hope we'll get a chance to see 4936 later in the season

6. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Here, here!

7. RichardMoreton

RichardMoreton New Member

The London-bound side of the island platform at Bordesley station was rebuilt and raised in height earlier in the year, following damage caused by the cold weather.

8. J Shuttleworth

J Shuttleworth Member

Now sorted, albeit with speed restriction, for the moment.

9. Sidmouth

many thanks James

As always it's great to have a confirmation from those at the sharp end

10. zep108

zep108 Member

logistics
  11. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

Anyone know whats on for this Sunday?

12. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

13. bob.meanley

bob.meanley Member

The point is that it is VT who decide on which engine is being used, and until we are certain of the identity we are not going to say anything. When it has been decided, it will be on our website, and anything on other websites are not our reponsibility as we have more than enough to do to keep ours up to date alongside the hundreds of other tasks that go to run a business like Vintage Trains. As others have commented the speculation does no-one any good, and certainly anyone who publishes info before us, appears to claim to know more about what we are doing than we do.

In the case of 4936, there was no absolute certainty that it would either pass its loaded trial run(although we were pretty sure that it would), and also there was a bit of a cliff hanger in whether the Network Rail maintenace team would be able to complete the repairs at Bordesley in time. In the event the job turned out to be somewhat larger than expected and it was not completed until a Saturday night possession and obviously there was no-one in the office until Monday to sign off the gauging of the repairs, a task which was completed by mMonday Lunchtime. So obviously we were unable to confirm to ourselves, let alone anyone else what was going to be on the front until Friday. Cnsequently claims that 4936 was doing the job were little more than speculation.

The gauging problem only came to light through a routine check, which is far more preferable than one of our Halls ploughing through a number of coping stones, and once it was identified, Network Rail had their maintenance teams on it in less than a week so I think a round of applause is due to them rather than a whole load of correspondance about which web site said that a particular engine may or may not have been booked to do the job.

regards
    Bob

14. david1984

15. Sidmouth

16. Rick.E

Rick.E Member

RETIRED
    No I do not currently volunteer
  17. RASDV

RASDV Member

....whilst I didn't! Isn't the British summer wonderful! I popped down to see No:4936 at Wilmcote station for the last return from Stratford. Just before 'Kinlet Hall' turned up the heavens, predictably, opened. Shortly before No:4936 powered past the driver shut off steam letting her coast on through, is this normal operating practice because the signal seemed to be green before the 'Shakespeare' passed through?
    HD video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSyk5Ubq8wk
    Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/115609395788457768316/ShakespeareExpress170711# (some are screen grabs from the video which I think have come out reasonably well). As always, any feedback or constructive criticism on the photos or video are most welcome either via e-mail (feedback@totally-transport.co.uk), PM or replying to this thread.
    Hope you enjoy the video and photos in the dry!

18. Sidmouth

Wilmcote has a restriction through the station , which seems to be for most locomotives

19. RASDV

RASDV Member

Right, thanks for that, I hadn't been to see the Shakespeare before, that's good to know now.

20. david1984

I also believe (correct me if wrong) specifically Halls have a 30mph restriction through Dorridge if anyones planning on seeing the SE there, don't think anything else is affected mind.