If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Rolling Stock For Sale

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by steamwife, Dec 18, 2007.

1. alexl102

alexl102 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The Bodmin & Wenford Railway have shared the following on some social media sites:

It is with a heavy heart that the Bodmin Railway is considering the sale of locomotive 6435. The ex GWR auto fitted pannier tank is a much loved loco by crews and very capable on our steeply graded line, but financial pressures require us to release this capital. The loco last ran in 2022 when it's boiler ticket expired. It had new tyres fitted in 2021. It is of course complete and has been dry stored since expiry of its ticket. It does require a full overhaul. It had a lot of work carried out in 2020 including a lot of Crown stays.

Only 3 of these popular locos survive, the others both being based at the South Devon Railway. Its an excellent, economical branch line engine ideally suited to almost all of the UK heritage railways.

Viewing from serious buyers is welcome by appointment through myself. We are looking for a speedy sale if possible.

We are also considering the future of our matching auto coach, class 121 bubble car, a mk1 bsk, a gw Toplight coach and a SR PMV. We won't sell all of these vehicles but will consider sensible offers on any.

2. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

Link please as I've had a quick look round and cannot find anything?

3. Wagoniester

Wagoniester Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
  4. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

5. Maldwyn

Maldwyn New Member

6. alexl102

alexl102 Member

Price seems steep when moving costs are added on, is this the going rate?

7. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    You can buy a small industrial steam loco for less. Buying one is always the easy part, though.

Chris86 and 3855 like this.
  8. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, technical and vehicle trainer
    Would that be an unrestored, incomplete industrial or one that is out of ticket? Always wondered what a small industrial is worth......

9. Wagoniester

Wagoniester Member

An Avonside and Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST are advertised for sale at the Colne Valley via Wardle Restorations' Facebook page; both unrestored and in need of much work, the former is offers circa £20k, the latter £15k.

Compare that to the Plym Valley who have just bought a running Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST for £40k.

10. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    If they can get £20K and £15K for those locos that's great for them but I'd be surprised to see them reaching five figures. However, at the end of the day it depends on how much someone wants them, how much they are prepared to pay and whether there is any competition. It's a buyers market for such locos, these days.

William Fletcher and 3855 like this.
  11. RichardSalmon

RichardSalmon New Member

Engineer
    Going price is often "free to a good home". But sale prices like these on eBay usually just result in other people thinking they can advertise theirs for that price as well.

12. alexl102

alexl102 Member

That was my thought!

13. RichardSalmon

RichardSalmon New Member

Engineer
    I think this is identical to 661 restored on the Bluebell: https://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/661.html

They've done quite a bit of work to make it fit for use as a glamping/rental or summerhouse, including replacing an end, and insulating the roof. So the price they're trying to achieve probably reflects the work they've done on it.

Door droplights had been replaced by UPVC, and they've put them back as timber to look right:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CxdtYN8syIB/?img_index=6
    Richard

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
  14. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

From Facebook:

FOR SALE: TSOs 4215 & 4844 and BSK 35405
    Mk1s 4844, 4215 and 35405 are surplus to SRPS requirements and accordingly are being disposed of by tender. All vehicles are to be sold as seen:
    • TSO 4215 built 1956, BR1 Bogies, Steam Heat
    • TSO 4844 built 1959, BR1 Bogies, Steam & Electric Heat
    • BSK 35405 built 1962, Commonwealth Bogies, Steam Heat, Currently fitted with first class seating
    A full tender pack is being prepared and should be available w/c Monday 19th February, with vehicles available to view (by prior arrangement only) w/c Monday 24th February. Closing dates for bids will be confirmed in the tender pack.

A recent review of our collection, which contains around 60 coaches alone, has identified these vehicles as surplus to requirements both operationally and in terms of museum display. While we would like to maximise any financial outcome from this tender process, these disposals are not driven by financial need, and we would rather see the vehicles well looked after elsewhere rather than to deteriorate at Bo'ness.

If you are interested in receiving the tender pack when available, please email andrew.fowler@srps.org.uk with the subject ‘MK1 Coach Disposals’.
    (No connection to me - I just saw it and cross-posted it here).

Tom

15. Glenmutchkin

Glenmutchkin Member

Selling a Brake seems to me to be a bit short sighted, particularly if the money is not urgently required.

Last summer the B&KR had to hire a Brake in from the Severn Valley to keep the Branch service running.

If the plan is to restore the SRPS Mark Is to the mainline and to continue running the Branch service surely the absolute minimum requirement is a Brake for each plus a reserve that can cover either duty. A prudent organisation might have one more Brake undergoing maintenance for the day when Sod's Law applies itself.

16. steam_mad

steam_mad Member

The decision to dispose of these vehicles was made in June 2022 when I was still a SRPS director. The Board then (and evidently still now) had come to the realisation that we cannot afford to – financially or with our limited physical resource – maintain everything, and the need to hire in a brake coach last year when none of our own were serviceable was perhaps the wakeup call required.

We currently have four mk1 passenger brakes (excluding the two used for other purposes):

• BSK 35185 – dual brake, dual heat, significant work recently completed on bodywork
    • BCK 21241 - dual brake, dual heat, significant work recently completed on bodywork
    • BSO 9237 – dual brake, dual heat, requires overhaul
    • BSK 35405 – vacuum braked, steam heat, requires overhaul, now for sale.

The ideal ‘branch set’ for the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway is seen as being a BSO, Accessible TSO, RMB, FK, providing a mix of first-class compartments and standard class open seating with catering facilities for afternoon tea etc. Hopefully in time BSO 9237 will be overhauled to take up its position in the foreseen ‘ideal’ branch formation, along with the RMB. The two mainline registered brake vehicles, both fitted with controlled emission toilets, are 35185 & 21241, so these were not likely candidates for disposal. That left 35405, which is the only vehicle not to be air braked or have electric heating, and before it can re-enter service requires an overhaul.

You are correct that we should probably have a fourth ‘standby’ brake so that, in the event something happened to one of the running brakes (or one is taken out of service for work), we still have a spare vehicle.

However, surely it would be a better use of our resources, after fixing 35185, 21241 and (hopefully in the near to medium future) 9237, to focus our time and money on one of our wonderful heritage brakes? We could overhaul 35405 for it to be used once or twice a year in ‘emergency’ events, which perhaps wouldn’t provide the best return on the physical or financial investment require, or we could put that resource into either the Caledonian, Thompson or Gresley brake, all three of which require tlc before being used again but will look fabulous in a vintage train. In the event we needed a fourth ‘spare’ brake vehicle one of the heritage vehicles could then be used for that purpose.

Andrew

17. Wagoniester

Wagoniester Member

Having reviewed my collection of vehicles and their current/future possible use/restoration opportunities, I am putting two wagons up for sale:

BR Grampus Ballast/Engineering Wagon DB 986248
    Grampus (1).JPG Grampus (2).JPG
    Located at the Epping Ongar Railway; a through pipe for vac braking has been fitted although the hoses and dummy couplings will be returned to the railway. A new wooden floor was fitted before its arrival on the railway in 2018. There is also a supporting frame for a tarpaulin cover (the latter of which is believed to have come from an ex-GWR open) both of which are included. It last publicly ran in June 2022 but is regularly shunted, most recently being moved from North Weald to Ongar where it is currently situated.
    Asking price: £2200
    (The vehicle currently holds a number of parts for 45132 and part of the condition of sale is that the wagon cannot depart until those have been returned to the locomotive, which is expected to be during the spring or early summer following return of the generator.)

BR Standard 20T Brake Van B951338
    951338 (1).jpg 951338 (2).jpg
    Located on the Mid Hants Railway. Was operational until the mid/late 2010s but was withdrawn when water ingress through the roof was discovered. Has been stored since although the roof has now started to sag; a tarpaulin has been put over in a bid to stop and further ingress. Grab rails and lamp irons have been removed, stored and are included with the vehicle. It is due to be shunted to Arlesford soon in readiness for eventual departure to a new home once sold.
    Asking price: £3800

Edit to add contact address: threeplankowen@gmail.com

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
  18. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

Some time ago we (DCRT) purchased an SR Steam Heat van for its wheelsets. These are due to be swapped soon, then the wagon will be sold in "As Is Condition". It could be used as a water carrier/fire suppression wagon, as it has two tanks believed to be sound. The Boiler has been vandalised in the past and has no controls etc. There is no asbestos and it is through piped.
    It has a 12 foot wheelbase. With double doors and windows on each side, it could be a good "Glamping" conversion....
    Offers over £1500 are invited with collection from Quorn.
    PM on here for more information.
    DSC00214.JPG DSC00156.JPG DSC00157.JPG DSC00158.JPG

19. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Could someone please buy this, put the body out of its misery and rebuild it properly as the last example of a SR 20T mineral wagon?
    SR 20T mineral wagon.jpg

EDIT: Book credit: An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons Volume 4 by Bixley/Blackburn/Chorley/King, ISBN 0-86093-564-7.

Mark Thompson and johnofwessex like this.
  20. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

As pmh is possibly being too cryptic, the Steam Heat van was built on top of the original 20T wooden bodied SR Mineral wagon chassis.