If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RHDR webcam - Black Prince sighted!

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by andrewshimmin, Aug 19, 2021.

1. MellishR

MellishR Part of the furniture Friend

If those locos were built for the stone traffic, why were they designed as roughly scale models of standard gauge locos rather than as conventional narrow gauge ones?

2. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Irt was originally Muriel, a non-scale Heywood 0-8-0T. She had a certain charm but was not conventionally attractive.

The 15" R&ER passenger services were at first operated by a scale Atlantic and Pacifics.

Esk was built to be both functional for the stone traffic and attractive for the passenger traffic (then as now mostly tourists, although then as now the R&ER serves a useful transport service function for walkers etc). The idea was instead of having either/or you could have both.

The RHDR locos were built with the same ethos (but with a bit more emphasis on their aesthetics).

Muriel was rebuilt as Irt later because a second powerful but attractive eight coupled loco was desirable - the scale R&ER locos (which were 1/4 scale and hence considerably less powerful and robust than the 1/3 scale Esk or RHDR locos) were being heavily taxed and quickly worn out.

More recently some railways have built 15" gauge locos which are more narrow gauge in ethos - Northern Rock on the R&ER for example.

The Bure Valley, by picking half scale narrow gauge prototypes to base the appearance of its locos on, is another approach trying to balance the two - looks and function.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

30854 and MellishR like this.
  3. Paul42

Paul42 Well-Known Member

4. MellishR

Thank you for the explanation.

5. NRZ611

NRZ611 New Member

Parallel triple header (including number 11) at St Mary's Bay. Not great camera work but hairs on the back of your neck stuff!

Mrcow, TseTT and 45669 like this.
  6. MellishR

Are the tracks there normally bi-directional or was parallel running by special arrangement?

7. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    To judge by the number of 'parallel running' events, there must be an established operating arrangement. Back in the day, the year-round schools service regularly employed 'wrong line running' out of season.

8. 45669

45669 Member

Retired
    I saw, and videoed, them as they arrived in New Romney to a firework accompaniment. That part of the video that I shot over the weekend is still in the 'awaiting editing' queue, but the parts that I've already done are in the 'Galas and Events' forum:

https://national-preservation.com/t...ay-autumn-steam-and-diesel-gala-2021.1420237/

TTFN,

Ron.