If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NYMR GALA SEPT

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by nhumble37, May 31, 2024.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That must qualify for the award of 'ridiculous comment of the week'. Up to now I could only think of one other south coast member with such flights of fancy. :)

2. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

As I understand railways should assess the risk to passengers from leaning out and minimise the risk .In some circumstances ensuring no trees provide a danger etc is sufficient ,atleast one line it appears consider telling passengers to not look out of windows appears to be their risk mitigation.
    NYMR apart from passing loops have no dangers really for 17.90 miles but no control over NR’s can’t be arsed inability to manage vegetation to Whitby .

Taking in the sights and sounds from Levisham to Gosthlsnd is heaven but perhaps not for much longer if the Park Steret pen pushers go down the sealed window route …

YorkyLad likes this.
  3. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

Always pleased to assist.
    Just my personal opinion, time will tell.
    Interesting that the last train back at Swanage last evening had an issue with someone continually leaning out too far.

4. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think a major issue for the NYMR at a gala will be providing enough coaches. I travel on the line often.
    Last week during half term there were two 6 coach sets and a 5, that was it, on a rather easy timetable with spare paths
    This meant that only on one short trip from Goathland to Grosmont, on the 5 coach set, was I able to get a seat.
    The trains were very busy (good) but many people were siting on the floor or standing in vestibules, in one case a family group were standing in the corridor of a first class compartment coach, not a lot of room.
    I enquired about the issue and got various answers but it seems two of the three buffet cars are out of use awaiting repairs and there is a backlog of repairs to bogies and broken springs. I daresay some of the teak coaches will be used at the gala but they wont make a full rake, although there is a buffet amongst them.
    Ideally the railway would need at least four seven coach sets for a gala while five sets would be better and more usual. That's 28 coaches or preferably 35 coaches if five sets were used. I have been at NYMR galas with 37 coaches in use!

5. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

West Coast are happy to hire out rakes of Mk 1s at the moment!

6. WesternRegionHampshireman

WesternRegionHampshireman Well-Known Member

I think the NYMR have enough of their own, at the moment, what you are referring too, does seem to be one of those once in a lifetime dealio's.
    Same as it ever was. [Get the reference. ;)]

Anyway, should we be worrying about what NYMR is getting for their gala in September when it's only June?
    Considering its always the last weekend of the month, whatever they get, will be a massive success. :)

7. Brunswick Green 2

Brunswick Green 2 Member

Coffee-table Moors Line 222 page 13 'Firstly our Mark 1 coaches. Catching up on a two-year Covid 19-induced maintenance backlog means we can't provide enough serviceable Mark 1's for this Summer's gold Timetable. We are working on a solution to this and will tell you when negotiations are satisfactorily concluded.'

Will there be follow up news in 223?

YorkyLad likes this.
  8. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The first gold service day is July 22nd so a bit of time. Also presumably the article in Moorsline was written a bit ago.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

9. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

Are you going to buy a ticket?

10. Woolley

Woolley Member

I will when I no what to expect but I’m sure it will be as good as usual if not better this year

7822WelshSteam likes this.
  11. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Part of the furniture

They've got 2 SKs, 24804 and 25488, out on loan to the GWSR (and I can't really understand why the GWSR need them).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
  12. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, technical and vehicle trainer

The flailing stuff I'm sure does cause concern, I have seen videos of people flapping about with a significant portion of their upper body out of the window.

As mentioned it's quite difficult to separate those who can make responsible decisions and those who can't.....

I think part of the problem is that flailing hasn't been stamped out- it's one thing being stood peering down the side of the train, quite another to be hanging out significantly.

As a movement heritage railways ought to be taking a very hard line in the same way as anti social/drunken behaviour- these people are significantly endangering themselves.

If have thought an easy step is to make an example of dangerous behaviour- if someone is being a danger to themselves, take their name, ban them from any further attendance and boot them off at the next stop- that way you have removed the safety liability.

Chris

13. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    They were for Covid weren't they?

14. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Part of the furniture

The hire began in 2019 and they both returned to the NYMR in 2020 due to covid, but are now back at the GWSR on a 10 year loan. One was in traffic last weekend during my visit, but the GWSR have loads of carriages.

5944 likes this.