If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NYMR Autumn Steam Gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by eddief, Aug 3, 2011.

1. eddief

eddief Member

Could not find a thread so thought I would start one. Heritage Railway says the 2 visitors will be City of Truro and Dominion of New Zealand. Could this be the first time in 70+ years a garter blue A4 with valances has pulled a rake of Teak coaches? Either way I will be there now!

2. steam_mad

steam_mad Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Don't understand how this one will work -

60007 and 4492 are due to be working a Cathedrals Express London to York.

Somebody is not going to get the locomtives the want.

3. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    It also mentions 80072 will be in action, yet the Llangollen Railway is advertising it's appearance at their gala in September?

Lewis

4. kesr

kesr Member

Owner
    I believe that 60007 will be doing the cath ex if she is ready and back in running order and therefor 4492 will be at NYMR however i am also on the understanding that if 60007 is not able to do mainline tour then 4492 will be doing it and not at NYMR... overall it all boils down to if NYMR get Gresley fixed in time. 80072 is visiting LLan for their gala but returning to NYMR at end of sep for their gala

5. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Being pedantic, it is not the NYMR that is 'fixing' 60007 but the locos owning group. The NYMR has no responsibility for the locos maintenance, other than perhaps lending the odd hand to help out.

6. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

Not quite true, Steve,. Maintenance of 60007, at least in regard to NYMR running is included in the agreement between the SNGLPT/A4LS and NYMR. There are two NYMR boilersmiths working on the Loco. @ present.

Also to other posters on this thread, 60007 has been withdrawn from all advertised September commitments and the visit to the Mid Hants. during October. In addition with regard to the midweek Cathex the locos were supposed to do there are currently no weekday steam slots available from Kings Cross.

7. kesr

kesr Member

Owner
    Many thanks for the news.

8. woodjr01

woodjr01 New Member

Does anyone have any news regarding the gala? The NYMR still haven't made an official announcement.

9. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Called in at the information office on Pickering station this morning and asked the same question.
    Nothing known yet.
    This is the same answer to the same question asked at each event.
    As per usual we will get the details probably in the week before the event.

10. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Subject - A4 4492, NYMR Autumn Steam Gala

I can at last confirm that agreement has been reached for the above engine to attend the Gala, now subject only to engineering acceptance and confirmation of movement arrangements (requested).

The intention is to use the locomotive on the following dates:

· 30.09 - 02.10: Autumn Steam Gala (working with the Teak set) - PLEASE NOTE NOW INCLUDES FRIDAY

· 04.10: Ceremony commemorating restoration of Pickering Station

· 14-16.10: Railway in Wartime – again working with the strengthened Teak set to give a typical LNER train from the period.

It may also work on certain days during the intervening period. Details to follow.

For those not aware, the loco (actually ‘Bittern’) is currently running as LNER streamline era garter blue livered No 4492 Dominion of New Zealand. To the best of my knowledge this will be the first time since the early 1940s that a fully streamlined LNER livered A4 and coaches have been paired together.

Steven

11. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

In the interim, despite having made provisional arrangements for 70000 to take 60019's place on the KX_York railtour on 30th September, Steam Dreams continue to advertise their Cathex on that date with 60019/4492. And tour companies wonder that they come in for criticism!

12. 60007

60007 New Member

Volunteer P Way Worker and Trainee Signalman
    Now i been told 4492 and 60007 are both not doing the Catherdrals Express on the Friday of the NYMR Gala 4492 is coming to the gala after all and 60007 is still out of action so Steam Dreams are looking for another loco for the railtour

13. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

Which, at this stage, is expected to be 70000.

14. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    www.nymr.co.uk

NYMR are pleased to confirm that the ‘garter blue A4’, Bittern, in its current LNER guise as No 4492 Dominion of New Zealand, is scheduled to appear at the NYMR Autumn Steam Gala from 30 September to 2 October. It will operate on NYMR without the second tender.

Philip Benham, General Manager said:

“ We are delighted to have a return visit of this ever popular locomotive. The unique attraction on this occasion will, of course, be the pairing of the loco with the rack of LNER teak stock on our line. To the best of my knowledge this will be the first time since the 1940s that an LNER livered A4 and coaches have been paired together, so should be rather special. We are grateful to the engine’s owner, Jeremy Hoskins and his team, for making the locomotive available, and to the NYMR based LNER Coach Association, whose patient restoration work has brought back into service the teak coaches.”

The full line of locomotives is expected to be:

* 825 Southern Railway Class S15
    * 44767 George Stephenson, LMS Class 5
    * 45428 Eric Treacy LMS Class 5
    * 49395 LNWR Class G2
    * 4492 Dominion of New Zealand LNER Class A4
    * 63395 LNER Class Q6
    * 75029 Standard Class 4 (freshly overhauled)
    * 92214 Standard Class 9F

There may also be one other surprise loco appearance.

On the Sunday, trains will also be running specially along Network Rail’s Esk Valley Line to Battersby – giving passengers one of the few chances each year to travel along this scenic route behind steam.

Full details of fares and timetables, and up to date information on the guest and stock engines running during the event will be posted on wwww.nymr.co.uk each day.
    No 4492 will be remaining on NYMR until w/c 17 October, enabling the loco to also take part in the following:

• 04 October: Ceremony commemorating restoration of Pickering Station
    • 14-16 October: Railway in Wartime, as an appropriate engine and train from the era

The locomotive is also likely to work on certain days during the intervening period. Details will be posted on the NYMR Website .

15. jonwright87

jonwright87 Member

Student (Civil Engineering) P-Way Engineer on Lond
    I had booked on this tour for the reason of having A4s on the ECML, and accepted that 60007 could not make it, problems happen and hope that the guys can get the loco back in traffic soon.

But for 4492 to be pulled because it's got a better 'party' to go to... I don't want to moan and whine, but this isn't the first time that I've booked on a tour to find out that the loco I was looking forward to had been taken off due to another commitment. How does this sort of thing happen? Is there not a contract between the loco owning group and tour operator, which would be broken? Or does the problem lie with the tour operators who advertise locos without adding the clause that they may not be available because they haven't actually booked the loco?

I know I should be grateful that there is any steam at all, but with a fair amount of 'supply', surely I can be a bit fussy with where I spend my cash - especially when there is an identical tour running a few days before with a different operator?

16. Bean-counter

Just to make it clear, the A4 is able to attend the Friday of the Gala because it is no longer required for the ECML trip on the Friday. It isn't my place to go into the whys and wayfores of this but the NYMR is the beneficiary of this decision, not the resaon for it.

Steven

17. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

Also I wish to make the point that I neither meant or implied any criticism of the NYMR. In fact I am going to their gala and will thus benefit from this.

Where I do point the finger of criticism is Steam Dreams who, a week after this was made Public, are still showing 4492 as motive power for this train.

You could, therefore, book on line in good faith and be very disappointed. I appreciate that ts and cs are there to cover in the event of a last minute substitution however I wonder on the legal position to find a substitute of someone who booked today, relying on SD's website and arrive on the 1st. October to find a substitute loco and then discovered that SD knew a week or more before their booking that 4492 would not be hauling the train.

In such a circumstance I don't think SD could rely on their ts & cs to protect them from both Civil and criminal action.

18. Bean-counter

As you will note from the above quote from the NYMR website, 3717 City of Truro will be unable to attend the Gala for reasons referred to elsewhere.

I am pleased to say that we appear to have been able to arrange a very suitable replacement guest and hope to be able to announce the identity very shortly, when all arrangements are finalised. It will be the first time a member of this Class has appeared on the NYMR and is a Class that many have hoped would one day appear on the line for a good few years!

Steven

19. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Are WTT available in advance / on the day for this event?

20. eddief

eddief Member

Asumming by NYMR you mean the preserved railway and not the line since it was first built my guess will be 42085.