If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NYMR Autumn Steam Gala 50th Anniversary 21st-24th September

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Ben Jenden, Jul 11, 2023.

1. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

92214 vice 92134 all day today .92134 stabled outside deviation shed .

2. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    Well that was enjoyable, even if the failure of 80116 on the Saturday meant that the last train out of Whitby ran about 30 mins late and I eventually got back to Pickering at 8pm.

One story doing the rounds as to why 80116 / 80136 failed was to do with a sprinkler in the ash pan being set too high - not sure that I'm entirely convinced by that though. I know 80116 / 80136 was being worked very hard on the first train out of Pickering on the Friday though - lots of coal dust being blown out the chimney, and one piece of coal, about the size of a finger nail, hit me in the face and stuck there leaving a bit of a burn (not that I am complaining).

Any news as to why Repton failed on the Sunday?

Putting that to one side I really enjoyed this Gala, I even got over my disappointment that the bookshop in Grosmont is no more. Drowned my sorrows in the Goods shed on the Friday, Whitby on Saturday and the GN Bar coach on Sunday.

Thanks to one and all for their efforts, looking forward to next year already.

4. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    No I do not currently volunteer
    A long weekend of exemplary steam power up to Goathland Summit provided a joyous three days and there was far too many highlights to list but safe to say the double headed 9F's took some beating, though the Moors 9F '92134' on Friday evening's run to Goathland was the pick of the bunch ! A superb four days, thanks to NYMR and all who were concerned !

Woolley, ykin01, wazza588 and 9 others like this.
  5. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Excellent account of the Gala,Liam, Showing that action speaks louder than words.:)

6. Woolley

Woolley Member

I enjoyed all 4 days bloody cracking gala my highlights was Eric on Thursday from Pickering 92134 Friday tea time from grosmont to goathland then a run from goathland to grosmont and return behind no 8 with my young kids. And Saturday watching the professional recovery of the failure of 80136. Gala of the year for me again and until the failure of 80136 time keeping was excellent and even early on some trains. Well done all involved looking forward to next year already

Mick45305 and YorkyLad like this.
  7. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    Echo all the comments above, absolutely excellent gala, only fly in the ointment we were aware of was the standard tank failure after leaving Goathland.
    We spent more time train travelling than usual due to my hip joints falling apart, first one to be replaced in November! Trains were so well filled, all staff saying they had never seen it so well attended, hope it swells the coffers. Some images from Thursday and Friday:
    P1170173.JPG P1170177.JPG P1170182.JPG P1170184.JPG P1170191.JPG P1170194.JPG P1170199.JPG P1170202.JPG

8. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    And some images from Saturday and Sunday:
    P1170207.JPG P1170208.JPG P1170209.JPG P1170211.JPG P1170217.JPG P1170222.JPG P1170226.JPG P1170227.JPG

Bluenosejohn, Spike, 49010 and 4 others like this.
  9. LMarsh1987

TBC
    Cheers Henry, a great show as always on the Moorsline !

10. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

As no-one answered: never say never, and I'm sure there were examples of individual vehicles being worked empty in unfitted freight trains, but the normal desire would have been to get the milk to market as quickly as possible - so typically vehicles were loaded at a creamery (milk from surrounding farms typically arriving by road for the era of the vehicle shown) and then worked forwarded in a dedicated train - or, from smaller creameries, initially as tail traffic on a passenger train before combining into one train for the last leg to the big city. Often - at least on the SR - the brake van on such trains would be a full passenger brake rather than a goods brake van, to give the guard greater comfort on a fast trip. As an example, tankers from Torrington (in North Devon) would work forward on the back of a passenger train to Barnstaple starting mid afternoon, and then going on as far as Crediton. There, they would be combined with other tankers coming from elsewhere on the Withered Arm and work through to Templecombe by the middle of the evening; and then on via Clapham Junction to Vauxhall (for United Dairies) or Kensington or Morden (for Express Daries) arriving late at night. After unloading, the empties would have to work back to from whence they started, arriving in the early hours of the next morning. (The Vauxhall empties had to initially work forward into Waterloo before returning in the early hours, on account of the access to the milk depot there not allowing a departure in the down direction). Allowing for loading, unloading and cleaning, as far as I can see, two separate sets of tankers would be needed to service the West Country milk traffic: you couldn't work up to London and back within a single 24 hour cycle.

Lots of photos online, but let's have a bit of gratuitous Drummond ugliness: a rebuilt "double breaster" working a train of empties away from Waterloo in 1948.

[​IMG]

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil...mpties_geograph-2655977-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

Tom

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    SteamHawk216, 49010, YorkyLad and 3 others like this.
  11. Mick45305

Mick45305 Member

Excellent coverage Liam of an equally excellent gala. I was on the run with 92134 and it was indeed rather special, Howard Self was heard to be on the footplate and encouraged the footplate crew to go for it.

Easily the gala of the year for me, which is saying something after also being at the superb SVR gala. Thank you to all involved for making it a brilliant one. :)

LMarsh1987 likes this.
  12. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    The J27 just looks so right with the hopper wagons on the freight.

Mick45305 and 2392 like this.
  13. 2392

2392 Well-Known Member

Would have looked even better with the two North Eastern Railway wooden 21 tonners, based in the coal/lime drops at Goathland couple directly behind the tender.....

49010 likes this.
  14. SteamHawk216

SteamHawk216 Member

Retired, my occupation for the rest of my life.
    May I thank everyone who has posted either accounts of their visit, photographs or videos on this thread. I'm sure they have been much appreciated by many, myself included, who were unable to attend the Gala for one reason or another. I attended the 2019 Autumn Steam Gala for two days and really enjoyed it and wanted to visit again. I especially enjoyed the fish & chips at Whitby. Now with my mobility issues etc I don't believe I will get to the NYMR again from here in Plymouth.

Maybe someone on here can tell me why the 439 Class ex-Caledonian Railway 0-4-4T 55189 was embellished with a light blue background to the smokebox number plate and shedplate. Was that a practise done by the Caledonian Railway in the past. Looked rather odd in my opinion with it's BR lined black livery. Even odder again, only in my opinion, was the use of two 9F 2-10-0s on one train. Crazy days.

15. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Caledonian blue backed smokebox numberplates were common in Scotland, even into BR days. Some of Polmadie's Duchesses were so treated.

SteamHawk216 likes this.
  16. LMarsh1987

TBC
    Second half of September is always the highlight of the year for me !

YorkyLad, MikeParkin65 and Mick45305 like this.
  17. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I don't know the details of the unfortunate incident with 80116/80136 but I know from experience that an open ashpan sprinkler can put an awful lot of water into there rather than the boiler. I was on the loco yesterday and that valve remained firmly shut apart from an odd opening to keep the pan wet. I normally reckon on 2500 gallons for a return trip between Grosmont and Pickering and, with a nominal 2000 gallon capacity, a standard tank should have an adequate amount in hand for a one-way trip.

49010, YorkyLad, 26D_M and 1 other person like this.
  18. MrDibbs

MrDibbs New Member

The spray was turned on all morning of the day in question and was certainly putting plenty through the pan immediately prior to handover and blowdown at Grosmont as it filled the recesses between the sleepers of the top points between the engine coming to a stand and setting back onto the pit.

19. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Also to MrDibbs.
    The water supply to the ashpan spray, deggin pipe and bunker spray comes from a pipe connected to one of the injector to clack valve delivery pipes, if correctly plumbed in. That means that the injector has to be active to get water to any of the three referred to. Am I correct or am I missing something?

20. peckett

peckett Member

9Fs double headed were rare in BR days ,at least on midland lines. I manage to photo one and that was by chance .I was waiting at Glendon Jnc ,now known as Kettering North Jnc ,for the last working of a LMS compound on a class 1 passenger train in the timetable, a summer Sunday Derby to St Pancras. Just a minute or two before it came I heard a train coming up the bank. I rushed over the road just to grab a photo of two 9Fs on a test train of vans. Air Brake tests on coal trains had been taking place with 70043/4 and 73030/1 since the early 1950s .This one I later found out was to test the Fast vacuum brake system . In my rush I didn't get the loco numbers but both were 21A Saltley loco's ,Saltley loco' were rare over the bottom end of the Midland.Photo attached ,sorry about the sharpness of the image but camera max shutter only 1/50th and in my rush a bad composition.

Attached Files: