If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

North Bay Railway and Politics

Discussion in 'Miniature Railways' started by SpudUk, Jun 26, 2009.

1. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Does anyone know the interesting link between the North Bay Railway in Scarborough and politics?

It came up the other day during the election for the new Speaker on BBC Parliament?

Well...In the United Kingdom, as MPs are elected by the people, by law they are not allowed to resign. This causes problems as, well MPs often do resign. Under the Act of Settlement in 1701, it was made illegal for a sitting MP to recieve an 'office of profit', that is to say any position where the MP recieves a pension or is paid directly by the King. Thus, it was devised that in order for MPs to resign, they had to accept an office of profit. Two exist:

The Crown Steward and Bailiff of the three Chiltern Hundreds of Stoke, Desborough and Burnham
    The Steward of the Manor of Northstead

The Manor of Northstead was once a simple collection of farms and fields in the parish of Scalby, but now forms part of the Barrowcliff area of Scarborough. The presenter of the live BBC Parliament coverage and Betty Boothroyd were discussing the resignation of the speaker, stating that due to the fact that the position of Crown Steward and Bailiff of the three Chiltern Hundreds of Stoke, Desborough and Burnham is currently occupied by a resigning MP (Ian Gibson - Labour - Resigning over expences) Michael Martin has been made the Steward of the Manor of Northstead in order to resign, which as the presenter stated contains a small park and the lovely North Bay railway, or words to that effect!

So there you go, a lot of resigning MPs have, for a matter of a few days at most, been Steward of a park and a lovely miniature railway!

2. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Hi SpudUK -
    I did know something about the Stewardships and the MP resigning - but not about the railway!
    I wonder if they get to drive the trains as a perk....

3. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    I suppose it is a perk of the job, I certainly would/will! Have to make it quick though, its only a veeery temporary thing

4. Why not ask on miniature railway world as the owner of noth bay is a active member.

5. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    I posted it on there before I did here

6. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Jordan I hand you a ](*,)