If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Longest Lines in UK

Discussion in 'Miniature Railways' started by cheekylittlemonkey81, Jul 7, 2008.

1. cheekylittlemonkey81

cheekylittlemonkey81 New Member

My local club visited last year, but unfortunately I missed out. Maybe we will get invited back again (It is a private line by invite only as far as I know) looks like a very well presented railway. GCR is another amazing trip, I remember 'The Gladesmen' something like a 2 mile trip round all tracks, they even have flashing colour lights to denote routing to the driver, great fun to ride, must be amazing to drive, haven't been up there for several years nw though:(
    Does anyone remember 'emotive locomotive' from the 'Going Loco' season on channel 4 in the 80's? That season was great and is what started me going seriously on fiding some of these railways (I was only 8 or something).

2. mlr740

mlr740 New Member

Has anyone travelled the complete current extent of Bolebrook castle? I did and it took 2 hours! without any long stop overs backside numbness was very much on the agenda, the line isn't circular either and has an interesting up and over loop to gain height! He is still building so where it will stop nobody knows!
    Dave

3. bolbroke isnt currently open to the public its supposedly closed for up grades to the track and stock

4. mlr740

mlr740 New Member

When did it close, Myself and Ron were there about 6 weeks ago and it was open then, only 1 part of the figure of 8 was closed on that day.

5. Charobin

Charobin Member

What makes you say that Jud? Can't see anything anywhere saying it's closed for maintenance! Believe trains run at weekends though it's best to ring before hand just to confirm.

6. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Bolebroke is not closed; it is open on selected days through the year. Check their website for details. I was there the other day and running had been planned, although they didn't have the staff to operate. I believe that the main "Lakes" circuit is in operation, with the branches shut until they have been upgraded. http://www.bolebrokecastle.co.uk/bclrhome.htm

Call first but make sure you speak to the owner rather than one of the hotel assistants.

7. mlr740

mlr740 New Member

Yes speak to Peter and He will make sure someone is there, He might even show you his vintage buses!

8. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    "I have just recalled one decent line, up in ryedale. "Somebody mentioned this line about 15 miles north of York.
    They had there gathering this weekend looked excellent when I called in for a visit.
    Here is the link
    http://www.rsme.org.uk/

9. mlr740

mlr740 New Member

Did we ever come to a conclusion on this? ](*,)

10. Dont think we did.....

11. mlr740

mlr740 New Member

#-o Thought so!