If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

[Jun 7, 2024] Strictly Bulleid 2 7th-9th of June at Swanage Railway (Swanage Railway)

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Down_the_pan, Feb 12, 2024.

You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
Strictly Bulleid 2 7th-9th of June at Swanage Railway
Swanage Railway
Confirmed Attendees: 3
Posted By: Down_the_pan
Start Date: Jun 7, 2024 07:00 AM
End Date: Jun 10, 2024 07:00 AM
Time Zone: Europe/London +01:00 BST
The following users have RSVP'd "Yes": 3
The following users have RSVP'd "No":
  1. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    And just like that sadly it was all over.
    A great idea by Graham Froude to stage this.
    The four SLL locos at Corfe after the last service had finished. DSC_0694r.jpg

2. The Gricing Owl

The Gricing Owl Member

Very nice. Did 34070 run with the ACE headboard and the Wof E route discs during the day please? And on the front of a train out of Swanage?

Far too late now, but if it did I should have somehow stayed on after my marathon day on Saturday. I once timed 34002 on the up ACE, the only occasion I ever had an original Bulleid on the ACE in either direction. And an excellent run with Salisbuy's Fred Hoare driving. 76 minutes net time on the 80 min ute schedule.

And, as you have said, sadly it was all over. I looked at the Swanage webcam last night after it ended, and, I know there are vastly more important things happening in this troubled world of ours, but I felt a real tinge of sadness too. So many memories from the 1960s, and on the Swanage bridge on Saturday, so many conversations about SR steam in the 1960s - including a chat with someone who also knew a fair bit about the legendary SE division driver Sammy Gingell.

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Superheater element developed a leak. Sadly not one of the easier ones to access so there was insufficient time to effect a remedy to get her back in service.

The Gricing Owl likes this.
  4. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

A shame really as it is has a very smart livery and would have been in the fore-front of the photos shown.
    I watched the web cams at Corfe - I have three pc screens that I can watch - and found the week-end very enjoyable. Being ex RAF I liked Sir Keith and 92 Sqn, the most. ;)

Spamcan81 likes this.
  5. Gladiator 5076

34070 certainly had the headboard all day, and the discs for some of the day, although I do have images of it in sidings in Corfe and Swanage with no discs from a quick look back through the memory card.

6. Karlh

Karlh New Member

One shot from sat high on West Hill, on Saturday afternoon engines didn't seem to be working out of Corfe Station so they could perform on the viaduct so whilst no shot leaving was really do able 257's passing of the NT car park gallery was very nice.

Swanage-Railway-8.6.24-Strictly-Bulleid-II-From-West-Hill.jpg

Johnb, Crawley Ben, alts1985 and 12 others like this.
  7. Karlh

Karlh New Member

Video link with footage from all three days predominately around Corfe.

Johnb, alts1985, Dan Hill and 4 others like this.
  8. misspentyouth62

misspentyouth62 Well-Known Member

After the superb gala at Gloms & Warks at the Spring Bank Holiday weekend, I can say that Swanage have delivered a further superb gala event with Strictly Bulleid II.

The first double headed Merchant Navy class (unless someone knows different..) since 1967 was the 10.45 service from Swanage on Friday 7th June. I would add that such an event would never have been possible for the foresight of one man in Barry, Dai Woodhams as each of the eight working Bulleids survived his scrapyard. (this does mean that there was a greater gathering of Bulleids in one location post 1967 although they never looked as nice in the sea air at Barry as they did last weekend). Bravo for all involved I say.

* Woodhams scrapped two light pacifics 34045 & 34094 in 1965 but from 1966 and until 34092 was purchased in 1971, there were thirty Bulleids at one location! 21 of these 30 have been returned to service (plus the boilers from another two)

Dan Hill, alts1985, Sunnieboy and 3 others like this.
  9. misspentyouth62

On Saturday I called in at the bridge at Furzebrook and was a little concerned that delays were in evidence (per Corfe incidents) whilst Dorset & Wiltshire Fire Brigade appeared at the bridge on blue lights. I was pleased to discover that they were seemingly lost and were seeking a fire they considered was on one of the local firing ranges rather than on the lineside! :)

10. Gladiator 5076

Were they lost or did they not know where the fire was?
    I would be a little surprised if the Wareham or Swanage crews did not know the area.

11. The Gricing Owl

The Gricing Owl Member

One of my objectives for the gala, which must have been shared with others, was to get as many Bulleids in shot at one time as I could. I managed to get four twice. I've not had time to check the timetable in detail, but I think that five could just have been got in shot at Corfe Castle, probably more likely in a continuous video sequence rather than as a still shot? Be nice to see if that was done. But here are mine; it's just about possible to see the fourth in the double headed meet. I had checked up on the bridge but 34028 was too close and would have blocked off any real view of the two MNs arriving.

Bryan B

030-34092-at-Swanage-shunting-with-34028-on-10.00-and-35006-35018-wait-for 10.45-8June-2024.jpg

097-35018-35016-arr-at Swanage-13.02-R.Frome-meet-34028-34053-on-13.45-to-R.Frome-8June-2024.jpg

12. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Thanks to everyone who has uploaded some superb photos and videos of this event on to this thread.
    I must admit that I was not really too fussed about photography at this event. I just wanted to take in the unique experience of having so many Bulleid Pacific's in action together. I don't think that this spectacle will ever be repeated.
    When we caught our first train at Norden hauled by 34028 (with 34092 on the rear) excitement was already building. We passed the two Merchant Navies resting between duties at Corfe Castle. At Harman's Cross we passed 34072.
    As we ran into Swanage I had to pinch myself as we passed 34081, 34070 and 34053. And all you could hear around the railway was the regular sound of that distinctive Bulleid whistle with the frequent loco movements. Wonderful stuff!

Thank you once again to all involved with this Gala. As others have said it feels a bit sad that it is all over. It is really going to take something to beat this event.

DSC00268_1.jpg

Sent from my XQ-BT52 using Tapatalk

13. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    I'll echo the thoughts of Bryan and GreenFive in feeling a bit sad it's all over and once again pass my thanks to everyone involved. I really didn't want to leave Corfe Castle to get the bus back to Wareham, as there was still so much I wanted to do and as I said previously, I really should have stayed overnight somewhere to make more of it, given it could be the only opportunity to see this many running in one place again, but that's the downside of not having a driving license.

The LNER A4's are my favourite class of locomotive, but the Bullied Pacifics are very close behind, as someone born in 1991, I didn't see them in their pomp, but they had a big bearing on my childhood, seeing 35027 and a partially restored 34059 regularly in the shed at the Bluebell and then 21C123 when it was in steam, my first 2 railtours as a 6 year old were behind, firstly 35028 and then 34027, with further tours behind 35028 again and 34016 (both as an 8 year old) and 34067 (as a 12 year old). Plus visits to the MHR and seeing a static 34105 and seeing a fair bit of 34081 in the early years of it's first ticket on it's travels (mostly at the Bluebell), so they have a very special place in my heart.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2024
  14. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Let's do it all again next year! Hopefully 35005 and 34059 can join in the fun. :)

15. misspentyouth62

And I have every confidence that given SLL's track record that at some juncture, we can enjoy 34010, 34058 & 35025 as well :)

16. The Gricing Owl

The Gricing Owl Member

Yes indeed! I wonder how the Railway did with income, especially with what must have been enormous transportation costs to cover, needed to get some of the locos there/back. It would be nice to get a general view from someone in the know at Swanage - if that doesn't go against normal policy on such matters.

Bryan B

17. Gladiator 5076

Somewhat of a "cheat" but the visit of a Totton based MPV on weedkiller duties this morning meant they had to empty the sidings.
    So there are 5 in this image, although only one is in steam. IMG_4284.JPG

18. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

That explains things and I later saw the weedkiller leave Swanage and pass though Corfe. Thank you Swanage for the enjoyment and of course the entertainment. :Caffeinefix:

19. Crawley Ben

Crawley Ben New Member

Me & my friend really enjoyed our visit to the railway & would like to pass on our thanks to those who organised it all & those on duty over the course of the weekend. Look forward to returning again in due course.

Kind regards

Ben

Sunnieboy likes this.
  20. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

On Monday I caught six, 35006 departing, 35018 being prepped on shed and the four out of steam just visible in the siding.
    [​IMG]