If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Industrial Loco Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by AlistairS, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: Hunslet steam loco spares on ebay

The only parts I can see look like they're for miniatures!

2. 32110

32110 Member

Retired from full time paid work
    Hunslet spares are for 7¼" loco.

3. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

The Peoples Democratic Republic of the Causey Arch
    Plans for a museum have not been 'shelved' the goalposts have been moved so how we will achieve that has been changed... shelved suggests it's off the agenda completely - far from the case.

4. PVRC&WSUPT

PVRC&WSUPT New Member

Noted on ebay, "pair of water valves for an Andrew Barclay 6 coupled loco" their decription not mine. Standard gauge this time i think!? =D> Hardware railwayana. A lot of money, but probably cost just as much to have remade. Required by anyone? Why would they be different to an 0-4-0 by the same manufacturer? or is it just the fact that they probably came off an 0-6-0? :-k

5. Avonside1563

Ouch, they seems a bit pricey!

6. 3155

3155 New Member

loco owner
    new thread, Ribble Steam Railway

On Thursday 12th march, the frames, tank & cab of Bagnall 060st No 2680 of 1944, Birchenwood No 4, arrived at RSR, the wheelsets, motion & boiler having beeen delivered to a separate location for refurbishment. Timescale for completion to full working order is estimated at 2 years.
    Loco Restoration update.

Respite/193

The tubes have been removed from Respite's boiler which is to be used on 193. Repair works to 193's platework are ongoing

AB 2261 No6 of 1949 ( Fife Flyer)

Is ready for retubing, the frames are basically complete, & in recent weeks, the new boiler section has been rivetted in place, the tubeplate has been repaired & revitted in, new longitiudinal stays have been made on site & fitted, together with a new main steam pipe, 5 firehole dorr rivets are to be replaced in the next few days

Grant Richie 272 of 1894

Work this week is on replacing all 4 crankpins with made in house replacements, drilling of both timbers for the new buffer beam planks, & freeing up all 4 seized buffers, to be followed by fitting all new footplate & running plate steelwork, & springs. The boxes & tyres having been machined & reprofiled some time ago.

Sentinel No 9373 of 1947

All the brake gear has been refurbished, the loco superstucture has been repaired where required & is partially in undercoat. awaiting The firebox has been retubed, new main steampipes have been fitted, a new superheater has been formed, but awaits coded welding, & the boiler shell is currently awaiting some building up of wasted areas.

D2148/D9539.

The 03 has ben to DB Schenke at Crewe recetly for tyre turning, & the class 14 is currently at Crewe awaiting tyre turning.

Dave W

GH4 & othres

7. Avonside1563

Great stuff Dave, would be nice to see Birchenwood No.4 come home, well close to it at Foxfield, when she's done. Give us chance to try a standard 16" against Florence with her giesel \:D/

8. Tonyboy

Tonyboy New Member

Engineer
    Hi all,

Just to let all know, 0-4-0ST Andrew Barclay '2199' "Victory" Based at the Colne Valley Railway, has been sold from the CVR company back into private ownership, and i'm pleased to report that her full overhaul has now started.

She based all her working life at the HMS Chatham Dockyard and after overhaul was sent to the CVR in the late 70's that I remember. Please let me know if you know anything else about her early preserved life as I would be very interested.

Tony Goulding

9. 3855

3855 Member

Good news it must be well over 10 years since she last ran.

Will she be moving to a standard gauge railway on a farm or staying at the Colne Valley?

10. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Dave - has no 4 changed hands ? - 2011 Foxfield gala then ?.

PS the owner of the BV would sooner have it turn to dust....!

11. 3155

3155 New Member

loco owner
    Gh4 is still one of my fleet, watch this space.

Dave W
    GH4 & others

12. 3155

3155 New Member

loco owner
    If you are referring to Birchenwood No4, yes, it has changed hands, & you will need to speak with the new owner in due course.

Dave W

GH4 & others

13. Tonyboy

Tonyboy New Member

Engineer
    Well anybody who knows just what happened with 2157 'ROF8' knows that we will want to keep this loco, so lets say the CVR looks a much better home for us! NO Farm or Farmer for me thanks!
    Oh yes, 'Victory' last saw action in late 1998.

14. AlistairS

AlistairS New Member

Engineer
    Glad to hear you've managed to get hold of another Barclay Tonyboy. Really looking forward to seeing her going.

Singapore is awaiting her turn in the restoration list at Rutland, but once she's done it would be nice to reunite two Chatham Shedmates!!!!

15. Tonyboy

Tonyboy New Member

Engineer
    Thanks Firefly776 for your kind words, we hope to do Victory justice and turn her around again asap, Yes it is nice to have another A/Barclay again. I still see Victory in my mind as I remember her from the late 70's when I was a youngster at the CVR when Dad had shares in Barrington! I remember Victory was then in a matt finish of pea green ish? Funny how we now have her after 30 odd years.
    Here's a picture I found of her in that Green livery I fondly remember as a small lad.
    Once running again, Im sure Chatham Dockyard will want to see there locos return? Well Id like to think so, fingers crossed anyway.
    Cheers Tony.

16. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Dubs 4101

Now has a full set of brake gear in working order - new everything and all that. Cylinder drains fitted to the left hind side & linkage working. New castings for the coupling rod bearings are be machined this week ( well started anyway ).

Work is underway on the cracked right hand cylinder & the final tweaks to the steam brake cylinder will be finished this week. We could have a finished chassis one of these days - where did we put the boiler ?.

17. BEAL-FOR-HOLY-ISLAND

BEAL-FOR-HOLY-ISLAND New Member

Peckett 1611 0-4-0 ( progress ) is now heading for Northumberland after leaving Swanage

18. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Propulsion/Airframe tech in the RAF
    Steam Sentinal No 7 has passed its yearly boiler inspection, also had a bit of a play with it and actually started to like it! Maybe hope for it yet!!! \:D/

19. Avonside1563

Florence No.2 has opened the season for Foxfield and Meaford No.2 is rostered for the Easter weekend.

Quotes are being sought for machining the new side and connecting rods for Avonside 1563. Dubs now has the piston back in place in the cylinder that is still attached to the frames whilst the other cylinder is away being repaired. Bellerophon has the con rods back on and is mechanically in one piece again.

20. 8RPH

8RPH New Member

For anybody interested Peckett 0-4-0 ST 2004 should be making ts first public appearance after overhaul at the open day at Tyseley on Easter Monday.