If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Industrial Loco Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by AlistairS, Apr 17, 2008.

1. AlistairS

AlistairS New Member

Engineer
    Nice to see you've finally accepted the S.C.R.A.P membership!!!!!

...and I'll take that as an unsubtle hint too... and NO I'm not going to hurry up... you can have them when I've got my new piston rods made!!!! NOT BEFORE!!!!! :smt019

2. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

The Peoples Democratic Republic of the Causey Arch
    Anyone know where the Avonside has gone from the Tesco in Crewe?

3. 76079

76079 Member

Simple answer, in short its about 30 - 40 yards away from where it last sat.

It has been bought by a chap involved with LNWR and is currently being stripped for overhaul i wouldnt expect to have to wait too long to see it in steam. Most of the bottom end was overhauled before it went on display and the fittings are still around too, its the boiler thats the unknown quantity its suspected to at least need a new barrel and new crown stays although they wont know for deffinate until its pulled apart. Its being done as a fill in job as and when time permits.

As to where it will be used once finished i couldnt tell you, im hoping at Crewe (looks very nice coupled up to our newley restored brakevan) but i think firmer plans will be made for it when its on the home straight.

Will keep people updated as it progresses if i can

4. AlistairS

AlistairS New Member

Engineer
    There is also possible progress with "Cranford" at Foxfield, so there maybe the possibility of a real Avonside fest in a few years!!!!

...anyone seen any sign of Robert yet????

5. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Don't forget there are two Avonsides hiding in deepest, darkest Kent, too. St Thomas and St Dunstan are preserved by members of the East Kent railway. Both formerly hid in the bushes at Sellindge:

http://jonedwards.photobook.org.uk/p54446949.html
    http://jonedwards.photobook.org.uk/p54446950.html

Since then, they have both moved home. St Dunstan has been set up in a siding behind the platform at Eythorne station, and requires a full restoration. This was estimated at £45-50,000, according to the ELKR website. The pic below shows the engine in June 2005.

http://jonedwards.photobook.org.uk/p40216666.html

St Thomas is a little less hidden away, providing you know where it is! It is presently on loan to the Dover Transport Museum. This is actually based in an industrial park in Whitfield, some 2-3 miles from the centre of Dover. The engine is plinthed, and again requires a lot of work to restore....

http://jonedwards.photobook.org.uk/p51340903.html

Sadly, I don't see either of these two running in the near future, but here's hoping.

6. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

I hope I'm not repeating anything here, but have just found some great colour photos of the Par Harbour Bagnall's in action in 1967 at http://bernard-mills.fotopic.net/c1347842_1.html . Indeed there are loads of nice oldie pictures on this guys site, mainly Devon & Cornwall.

7. AlistairS

AlistairS New Member

Engineer
    Great photos... they are gorgeous looking little engines!!!!

8. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Look good on a 1 in 19 =D>

Something for the alternative industrial gala \:D/

9. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Will Cranford be a replica Avonside !. Mega restoration when finished !

10. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

Mini update.
    Work continues on Desmond and the smokebox is taking shape in the workshop while more bits are put back on the frames.

[​IMG]

11. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

We moved Dubsy today - 3/4 of a wheel rev !. Several trips made to Whiston, shed door, Whiston, shed door & then to Whiston again, the axleboxes are sitting ok and the wheels are on ctr. Milestone achieved, result !. A member of this forum could not grasp the concept of "stand clear, Dubsy is moving". It may move again in the future - you have been warned !!.

Spent all day with all kinds of measuring kit to confirm that the rods will require offset bushes x 2 and that each rod requires reboring to true up the holes ready to accept the new castings ( delivered last week ). Back to the brake's next week, now we know that the wheels are ok.

Not to late to join this happy band if we are to make gala.... ( no helpers available for the next two weeks ).

Any sign of the oak to renew the dumb buffers Matt ?.

12. 37255

37255 Guest

Excellent!

2 helpers available on Wednesday and Saturday this week, if you could leave us some jobs? :)

13. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Yes - cab front lying on the footplate needs a set of nuts & bolts finding & then lifting into position. Reverser needs to be removed ( via bottom pin ) for attention. Slewing engine has some pins missing - be great if you could have a hunt around. Same for the saddle / smokebox assy - you could make up a set of pins to suit. Tanks also require a full set of pins.

If stuck ask DD

Thanks

14. Beaudesert

Beaudesert New Member

You would think that they grow on trees!!. In hand Dave will let No 1 know when they land

15. THE MELTER

THE MELTER Member

ENGINEER
    10" Barclay Colin McAndrew got it's 10 year ticket today.

The Melter

16. Great news but at what railway?

17. 3155

3155 New Member

loco owner
    Chasewater..

Dave Watkins

GH4 & Others

18. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

At Didcot today, BPC No.1 returned to action after having spent a considerable amount of time out of service. I'm not too sure what the plans are for it at the mo, it was meant to have some work done on the smokebox, but this has still yet to materialise!

19. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Propulsion/Airframe tech in the RAF
    Hi guys, bit more progress on Tommy Royden the team and I have put some layers of paint on to the motion and continued the progress of cleanong/painting/finding things! We hope to have her running about this time next year with any luck.

20. 504

504 New Member

been told that agecroft number 1 was due at MOSI manchester 2day, they want it up and running for next year 2010, so this will release planet loco to visit other railways.