If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hypothetical question about EM1/2 Woodhead electrics

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Cartman, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Cartman

Cartman Well-Known Member

Van driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The Woodhead route was electrified at 1500v dc, and the Manchester metrolink and Tyne and Wear metro have the same voltage ohle.

In theory, would it be possible to run an EM1 (26020) or one of the preserved EM2s on a section of either of these systems? Not the street running sections obviously, but one of the ex BR parts, like Manchester to Bury or the MSJA to Altrincham?

2. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I think you might find issues with loading gauge in Manchester, as the platforms were changed. As light rail schemes, weight limits might also be a blocker. Current draw might also be a question, depending on the supply to the railway.

It might be more practical between Pelaw and Sunderland, which is main line loading gauge and axle weight, but I’m not sure I’d get out of bed for that short stretch of semi urban crawl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  3. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Axle load would definitely need to be considered for any movement on a pure light railway as would gauge clearances. Current consumption would be less of a problem as long as they didn't do much more that potter in series and low power.
    As none of the electrical equipment has been energised for at least 30 years on the EM2's and longer for 26020, it would need considerable checking and testing before any serious power was applied.
    Get it wrong and there could be an electrical fire and possibly a former Woodhead electric loco....

Having just read the book on the Woodhead line by Alan Whitehouse and S.R. Batty I would love to see them in action and regret not spending more time photographing the route. I didn't realise how sophisticated the regenerative braking was on the EM1 and EM2 locos, nor how they completely revolutionised traffic over the line. A few years earlier and 1500dc would have spread over much of the network. A few years later and the line would have probably been rebuilt as 25kV ac.

Cheers, Neil

Richard Roper and Cartman like this.
  4. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Bit random but you mentioned how revolutionary they were, didn’t they Woodhead electrics have a phone system that used the overhead equipment? Or am I imagining that one?

5. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    I certainly did at least one trip on the Manchester/Glossop/Hadfield EMU's

Cartman likes this.
  6. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM

That was on the locos fitted with multiple unit operation and train air brakes for the mgr services in the 1970's. Presumably a carrier frequency over the traction current cables and overhead. Think they were about as clear as the Loudafone equipment on SR emu's.
    Before that traditional whistle codes were used for the bankers assisting between Wath and Dunford Bridge and intermediate points. #

Cheers, Neil

7. Cartman

Van driver
    I did three on them, in 83 and 84, while I was doing some Manchester area route bashing. Incidentally, my summer 83 trip was the only time I ever saw any EM1s, a row of about 6 or 7 parked up in Ashburys yard awaiting disposal. Another thing I've heard us that 76015 was kept in working order after withdrawal at Reddish depot who used it as a depot shunter, probably unofficially, until the depot closed in 83.

8. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Given Class 37's have run ballast trains on the Bury section of Metrolink in recent years, then I'd say this was actually at the less ludicrous end of the WIBN spectrum!

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

9. Cartman

Van driver
    And
    And a J94 did as well

GOEdwards and MellishR like this.
  10. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Whilst the OHLE system was the same I would think that the power draw of the EM1 / EM2 would be greater than the Metrolink allows hence - whilst fanciful - I suspect their power output would need to be drastically uprated before EM1 / EM2 traction could be hosted.
    I have taken images of both Class 03 and Class 37 at work on the network and recall that Class 60 have visited the ELR on Metrolink Civil Engineering duties but cannot recall if they actually operated on the lines emanating from Bury.

Cartman likes this.
  11. Cartman

Van driver
    The 37s and J94 did run on the line from Bury as far as Besses I think

GOEdwards likes this.
  12. Springs Branch

Springs Branch New Member

Retired
    60's certainly operated on the Metrolink south from Bury. One at least got well further than Besses (albeit with the overhead power off) but came back with some severe scratch marks on the roof.
    From memory MSC loco 32 Gothenburg (running as Thomas) went to Queens Road from the ELR by rail for an open day, and there are rumours that it made Manchester Victoria with the then Metrolink MD (and later ELR GM) driving.

alexl102, GOEdwards and Cartman like this.
  13. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

One of Mr Needles 03 shunters made it as far a Manchester Victoria a few years ago interesting piece on it in Traction Mag with the comment about how much paperwork would have been needed if it ran on the other side of the station…

Cartman likes this.
  14. majorsmallpiece

majorsmallpiece New Member

Metrolink is a 750V DC system. As to running on any of the Tyne & Wear system not a chance as the substations and their circuit breakers are designed and operated in such a way to suit the traction and auxiliary system characteristics of the metro cars and not a heavy locomotive with considerable amounts of auxiliary equipment; also you have to install tpws, judicial data recorders, gsmr, on the locomotive.

15. alexl102

alexl102 Member

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen video footage of 32 at Victoria but I have no idea how I’d find it!

16. Phill S

Phill S New Member

As stated, isn't Metrolink 750 DC? Assuming they run on basic rheostatic control, that might not be a huge issue if you don't want to go fast. EATM run their 550 DC trams on 110V DC for shunting in and out the depot. Auxillary equipment might need tweaking/swapping out though.

Of course, this allows even greater wibble. Remember the scheme to run Metrolink over the East Lancashire railway? Well, imagine it double tracked, wires everywhere, power supply beefy enough to take EM1s and 2s, the Class 71 and any third rail stock someone can nail a pantograph on the roof of...froth, gibber, etc.

17. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Well, if that's the sort of wibble you like, can I describe a parallel universe in which the GCRN in 1990 decided to push north through the former Ruddington station instead of taking the "easy option" of going south (with the awkward reversal but using existing track and with the promise of some revenue-earning freight; yes I can see why they did that) (quite apart from which the route north was never offered to them at the time). Had they been able to do so, then by the time someone thought about running a tram to Clifton they would have established rights over the trackbed. At that time they could have agreed to give the trams running rights so long as they were dual-voltage trams with the GCRN section electrified at 1500V d.c... then we could have had EM1/EM2 locos swapping with steam at Ruddington and operating up to the Trent.
    Maybe in this parallel universe they may have stepped in and saved the class 506 EMU as well. :-(

weltrol, Mrcow and GOEdwards like this.
  18. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    I think your best bet would be to hope for the Dutch railways to allow their preserved one to stretch her legs over there again

19. Mrcow

Mrcow Member

With all your wrong side of Pennines centric thinking you're ignoring the fact that the Woodhead electrified route to Tinsley yard is electrified at 750vdc through Darnall here in Sheffield. Disapointingly they changed to lightweight overhead instead of keeping the proper 1500vdc stuff like they did around Manchester.

pmh_74 likes this.
  20. Mrcow

Mrcow Member

[​IMG]