If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Grantham Canal - bits of rusty metal and other interesting stuff.

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by baldbof, Oct 5, 2015.

1. DismalChips

DismalChips Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Something very appealing, even as a one-off, about seeing traditional methods in use even now,

2. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Well Donk is a place in East Flanders (Oost Vlanderen in northern Belgium. It is also a reference to an American car. Take your pick. ;)

3. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Also the name of one of the characters in Crocodile Dundee.:)

paullad1984 and Wenlock like this.
  4. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Donk in Dutch refers to a rise in the terrain above a marshy area. You see it in several place names. A high bit is important in Holland :)

In the Uk the additive 'sey' to a village name has the same idea, eg Badsey in my area. There is a slight rise as you enter the village.

Greenway likes this.
  5. NBDR Lock

NBDR Lock New Member

There's a restored narrow boat called Badsey, normally moored outside the cafe of the same name at Hillmorton Locks, on the North Oxford canal; NB not the Grand Union as stated here: https://www.badseysociety.uk/village-life/a-narrowboat-named-badsey.

6. 2995valliant

2995valliant New Member

Actually, it's just the plain old Oxford Canal, there's no such such thing as as the North Oxford Canal or the South Oxford Canal, it was all one canal, built under the one Act by one company.

The same goes for the Stratford Canal....and don't even get me started on the "Mon & Brec" :)

7. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

All this talk of Donk the horse reminds me that when I was about 2* I had a hobby horse whose name was Donkda-donkda. His name came from the sound he made being dragged up and down the stairs.

[*Full disclosure: Donkda-donkda is still at my Dad's house somewhere... he's getting on a bit now.]

hyboy likes this.
  8. NBDR Lock

NBDR Lock New Member

I'm aware of that, but it's often referenced in that way in canal literature. Whatever you want to call it, it is separated from the southern portion by a bit of the Grand Union.

9. 2995valliant

2995valliant New Member

Names should matter - I'm sure some people would take exception to the North Great Central Railway and the South Great Central Railway, or the Dorset & Somerset Jointed Railway! Don't pay any attention to what's printed - there's even a bridge on the Oxford now with an "official" name which originated as part of an in joke which slipped through the final proof reading of the original Nicholson's Cruising guides.

Incidentally, the separate sections is another myth: The Oxford is one canal, it's not separated by a bit of the Grand Union and never has been. The GUC attempted to buy the Braunston turn to Wigrams length from the Oxford Canal Company in the early 30's; the OCC gave serious consideration to selling it but eventually decided against it. Instead they came to an agreement with the GUC over the improvemtns the GUC wanted to make as part of its widening scheme and toll rates for traffic passing between the former Grand Junction and the Warwick & Napton canals . The GUC must have been remarkably confident that they were going to buy it though, because if you know where to look, they planted a GUC boundary marker next to a bridge they rebuilt on the Oxford.

Apologies for the off-topic :)

10. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

And then there was the Wrsgan Navigation in the Deviation days of the Ffestiniog Railway.

Romsey likes this.
  11. NBDR Lock

NBDR Lock New Member

You're right, names do matter.

I posted what I thought was an interesting aside about a restored boat bearing the name of the village mentioned by Breva in his post (#424).

You have taken me to task over my use of a common modern misnomer for the section of canal concerned and in doing so have focused attention on that rather than the point I thought was interesting.

Thanks for that!

12. baldbof

baldbof Well-Known Member Friend

Retired, ex-RAF
    Hi folks,

Something visible happening at Lock 13 apart from the vegetation clearance.

The team have started installing the temporary by-wash which will enable work in the lock chamber to get underway.

Not my photo.

L13 temp bywash pipe.png

On a sad note. We have lost one of the society's stalwarts, Tony Jackson, who has succumbed to Motor Neurone Disease after a shockingly short period of time following diagnosis. Tony was an important member of our Events Team and a driving force in our annual Discovery Day where, amongst other attractions, he organised the very popular duck race. Tony had an encyclopedic knowledge of canals in general and ours in particular. With his partner, Tony gave talks and presentations at many social groups around the Lincs/Notts/Leics area, raising a considerable sum of money for the society. One of his social media handles was 'Ayeup me duck' and he maintained our Facebook and Twitter pages. Tony was also an accomplished maker of classic rocking horses and such was his reputation, he didn't have to look for work, the work came to him. A sad loss and a hard act to follow.

13. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
  14. baldbof

Retired, ex-RAF
    Damn!! You beat me to it!!

15. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Sorry about that! I have been following David for many years through his channels.

16. gwilialan

gwilialan Well-Known Member

17. baldbof

Retired, ex-RAF
    Yes, a very sad incident which has heightened our own awareness that our activities can bite.

I'm told that work on Lock 13 is being held in abeyance whilst the correct shoring plan is confirmed and the equipment needed is obtained. It hasn't stopped work elsewhere on the canal - the paddles at Lock 18 on the summit pound need changing because of a serious leak, so the Lock 13 construction team are focussing their efforts there whilst other workparties are dealing with a seriously breached bank at Culvert 12 on the 19-mile stretch between Lock 12 at Muston and Lock 11 at Cropwell Bishop. C&RT have provided a copious amount of sandbags and tarpaulins to effect a temporary repair until such time as they can provide the materials to rebuild the bank. Replacing the paddles at Lock 18 also allows the top gates at Lock 18 to have a close inspection.

Our large workboat "Centauri" has made an unscheduled trip up our slipway because of what was thought to be a major fault due to a misaligned prop shaft - turned out it was a mass of discarded monofilament which had wound itself tight around the shaft and into the shaft tube to the point it was almost stopping the propellor from turning. Some surgery with a very sharp knife and some harsh words eventually removed the monofil but unfortunately, Centauri is now marooned at our depot until the Lock 18 paddles are sorted and the stop planks removed. One consolation is that the slipway has saved us a whole lot of money since it was constructed; the savings made by not having to hire a crane to lift boats in/out of the water has almost matched the cost of the slipway. Every cloud and all that...

gwilialan, ghost, CH 19 and 4 others like this.
  18. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Found this clip of work in progress on another canal at a slightly Higher or even lower altitude.
    A place where I have spent many shifts in the main tunnel and driven through with vans and even artic tippers.