If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

East Midlands Railway Trust/GCR (Nottingham)

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Flying Phil, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for posting that Johann. It was the closing address at the AGM of the "Friends of the GCML". So there is now a much clearer strategy for the North. On the logo there was a nice juxtaposition of the Victorian new build 567 loco and an HST 125 nose!

The Dainton Banker likes this.
  2. Paul.Uni

Paul.Uni Well-Known Member

Quote from https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158388463328691&id=164471008690

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Vulcan Works and jnc like this.
  3. Flying Phil

Well that is an interesting development! The former GCR(N) website has indeed become the Nottingham Heritage Railway website.....(.and will hopefully be cleaned up with the old news relegated to a discrete page?).
    They are still using the GCR(N) for legal and regulatory, so presumably the Light Railway Order etc.
    I hope they will be issuing a more detailed statement in due course regarding their relationship with EMRT and the GCR. That they want new blood is very encouraging. Hopefully they will be able to start running trains again and that will also reinvigorate them.

Vulcan Works likes this.
  4. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

That begins to suggest a future relationship a bit like that between the WHR and WHHR.

5. Davo

Davo Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Well it stops those unfamiliar tourists travelling in the area of Leicestershire and south of Nottingham to not get the former G.C.R. N and G.C.R. S confused with the northern half now been called Heritage railway bit more appropriate but in grandfather rights it was to the old enthusiast the G.C.R. or London extension before it was all finally closed from Calvert in 1969. To Woodhouse Junction

6. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

7. Flying Phil

Thanks Johann - It does seem to have been a clean sweep of the old directors of the GCR(N) and I cannot see where Mr Newton has come from - he was not listed as a director in the last issue of Main Line. I hope there has been other communications to the members of the GCR(N) and volunteers rather than just "Tweets".

jnc likes this.
  8. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
  9. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Why the need for all that "motherhood and apple pie" stuff? Were the previous directors not doing all that?

jnc likes this.
  10. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

As an armchair member of the FoGCML, and reader of this thread, I didn’t get a particularly strong feeling of being communicated with.

I’m delighted to see a statement of intent like this, and look forward to seeing it converted into actions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Johann Marsbar

Given the Name change to the whole set-up, that Tweet and the change of Directors, it would appear they want a complete break with anything to do with the previous operation, so it does suggest that things were not being done in the past that should have been. Even some of the Directors who were elected/co-opted in the past year have been changed, one only lasting 2 months according to the Companies House website....

12. Flying Phil

Having spent an hour going through this Company history I am quite bemused about what I don't know! There seems to have been periods when nothing much happened between turmoils. However several people had been relatively constant. But now all have been seemingly swept away.
    Another interesting feature of the tweets though, is the description of a Six mile railway.....would that be Ruddington to East Leake?

13. J Rob't Harrison

J Rob't Harrison Member

On their Facebook page they describe themselves as a five-mile railway, but that then goes on in the next breath to say they run from Ruddington to Loughborough. Maybe it's a typo. The previous issue of Driving Wheels made hints about some significant changes that were expected but hadn't occured by publication date... maybe once the dust from the last few weeks has settled we'll get something absolutely definitive about the Railway's status and ambitions (and what they need in way of help to achieve that) that puts rumours about leases and Nottingham-centric parochialism and whatnot to bed?

I feel that the new board are between a rock and a hard place; there was previously criticism about lack of clarity and suggestions of atrophy, now that we have a new board putting out info left, right and centre (and a welcome infusion of energy) there's criticism and rumour about what isn't being said. (Give them five minutes to get their feet under the desks, please!!!) It's encouraging to see them acknowledge that talk is cheap and that action must follow for credibility, let's give them a little time for some action to take place before getting the rumour mill going ten to the dozen, shall we?

jnc, 35B and SID125 like this.
  14. Flying Phil

J Rob't makes good points about giving the new board time to settle in, but I don't think that, on here, we have been critical or rumour mongering. We have only been commenting on what has been put out -so far, for public view. We are pleased to see that there is a new sense of purpose because we want to see the Northern part of the GC operation revitalised.

jnc and The Dainton Banker like this.
  15. J Rob't Harrison

J Rob't Harrison Member

I'd agree, no rumour mongering here, but on Facebook etc it's a very different story and one that frankly is draining and demoralising to wade through.

16. The Dainton Banker

The Dainton Banker Well-Known Member

Another good reason to stay well away from Facebook ! :rolleyes::D

17. Johann Marsbar

I did find this on a Facebook page that I could actually read (rather than just part of it..) this evening.....

The Nottingham Heritage Railway is ramping up. We need people who are up for a challenge and don't mind working to tight timescales under pressure.
    We have a great group of active volunteers, and as we reboot the railway they need your help. There is a lot of work to be done.
    The Board is looking to create an active pool of volunteers to assist the new Site and Operations directors, so please step forward if you are not already involved and would like to help.
    More broadly, if you have skills of any relevant nature or just plain enthusiasm, and would like to be involved at the NHR, please email the board at directors@gcrn.co.uk
    We need to strengthen in every area. Whether you are interested in administration, H&S, finance, catering, marketing, engineering, train crew or operations is unimportant. We can find a role for you.

The Board is pleased to announce the following appointments effective immediately:

John will have the Board's full authority to do whatever is necessary to:

1) Meet ORR re-opening requirements
    2) Generate space for volunteer, commercial and other use
    3) Make sure the site looks good aesthetically
    4) Meet best health and safety practices

John will consult as much as possible with all stakeholders, but inevitably there will be occasions when his decisions (which will have the Board's full backing and be rigorously and formally enforced) will not please everyone.
    The Board asks everybody for patience and understanding in what we expect to be a fairly rapid process of remediation. This process is essential if we are to move the NHR forward. Thank you all in advance for your co-operation.

Ron's immediate mandate is to get the railway running again as quickly as possible. This will require teamwork and co-operation across several areas. Please help to give Ron whatever he needs to get those wheels turning again.....
    More strategically, the Board is in full agreement about making the NHR a railway that never compromises on safety and operational best practice, and there will be some cultural initiatives being launched on this in due course to complement enhanced training and certification.

And Finally....
    Peter Morley has resigned from the Board. We thank Peter for his service and the Board notes his genuine commitment to transport preservation. He is a great guy and we wish him well in his future endeavors.

More appointments and a replacement for Peter as CFO and Company Secretary will be announced in due course.

Mike Newton
    Chairman.

On behalf of the Board of Directors - The Nottingham Heritage Railway

It doesn't seem to want to copy some of the names in the headings, but you can see what is going on!

18. Flying Phil

I'm sure we all wish John ...... and Ron.........every success in their posts. The Ruddington operation should become very much the northern "Jewel in the Crown" of the GC operation. The new more open approach and honest appraisal is a good start.

19. Johann Marsbar

This popped up in the suggested videos list on YT when I was looking at the Palmer, MA ,Railcam a few minutes ago.....

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  20. Flying Phil

They certainly are hitting the ground running! I do hope that they are involving the existing volunteers/supporters as much as possible.