If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dartmouth Express 11th June 2016

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 1020 Shireman, Jun 8, 2016.

1. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Not too disappointed we missed this now. The videos I have seen so far show 34052 doing very little sadly and plenty of exhaust smoke coming from the Class 47. The only video I have seen where 34052 is really making an effort is accelerating through Exeter St Davids..
    I am hoping the 9th July run to Weymouth isn't blighted by the same problem as it is supposed to be steam banking out of Weymouth on the return with steam both ways. Trouble is 34067 and 35018 are the other loco's listed with 34052 :Nailbiting: So that will probably mean a Class 33 on the rear then? Or is that WCRC Class 33 not running anymore?

2. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Blimey. This is all very depressing, just like this summer weather!!

3. green five

Sorry to put a downer on things but I find ML Steam a pretty depressing experience most of the time these days.
    Only yesterday I was talking to a couple of friends at the MHR who used to volunteer on the MHR Daylight Railtours about the good old days. We all agreed they were much better times for ML Steam.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

banana patch and buseng like this.
  4. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    I completely & totally agree! I travelled on quite a few DL Railtours behind 34016, 35005, & 73096. They were far more enjoyable experiences, at least you got what you paid for!
    After DL Railtours finished I travelled on a few SD trips which basically took over back then, it wasn't the same at all.
    Even before then I travelled on some GWS tours including The Vintage Train (their ex GW stock), again a far more enjoyable experience.
    Nothing like the plastic regimented system of today including the "unmentionable". See the various videos of 34052 (34046) yesterday for evidence!

5. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

34052 is still not listed on Icons of Steam website, which has been updated.The Swanage diesel which is passed for mainline has been repaired, but will that get used with the Swanage based WCR driver suspended?
    Tangmere does not feature at all on the new trips later in the year, on the RTC website (excluding the Royal Wessex postponed from May). 35018's boiler was rumoured to have been finished nearly 2 years ago.

6. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It was different railway then, slotting steam into the intensive timetable now operating on most main lines is not easy. I'm sure the operators would be only to pleased to ditch the diesel for you if you were prepared to underwrite the fine for all the delays should something go wrong.

7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

We seem to be forgetting that our wise expert @bob.meanley posted on this forum a while back telling us that the 'good old days' of steam were now short lived and we would one day have to get used to the new order of things. OK - perhaps the problems with WCRC have accelerated that day but I'm slowly coming round to the view that we are now where we are. Low risk activities with insurance/safeguards built in. No more superlative attempts at feats of strength with steam locomotives up hills or high speed dashes to tight timings on busy main lines. Plus less originality of trips and less choice.

Sorry to hi-jack a thread with a general comment but that's my 'take' on it. Yes we may continue to have steam on the main line but not as we knew it a few years ago and that probably means "put up or shut up". At least some bank balances may look a little healthier.

8. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

To add to the general comments above a post from December 2011 :

Johnb likes this.
  9. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

In relation to the @J Shuttleworth comment, and notice the date - 2011 - game, set and match to the 'reality brigade' I think.

GWR4707 and Johnb like this.
  10. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

On the way back from a week of glorious sunshine in Cornwall I stopped off at Whiteball Tunnel to get this shot in full blown murk and rain. The British weather is wonderful. The cutting here was cleared a few years ago, presumably to avoid problems on the gradient with leaf fall. It looks as if it will soon need the chainsaws again.

_DSC9243.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  11. AlexGWR1994

AlexGWR1994 Member

My footage of 34052 Lord Dowding plus RAF Typhoon at the Torbay Air Show. Filmed at Cockwood Harbour, Broadsands Viaduct, Shaldon and Burlescombe. Enjoy.

EveningStar92220 likes this.
  12. green five

I have just checked the UKSteam info site and you are quite right. 34052 is not doing this run now. 46201 has now appeared in it's place :) which should be very good if it happens.

13. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    But it does mean that you have your own window and that across the corridor, that you can stand up by, not putting your head out of course.

14. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    The compartment was full so only if one wishes to be seriously unpopular with the other 4 people in the compartment. GPS, timing sheets and stop watches go where? Pint glass and beer and wife's coffee goes where? probably all over the floor. Talking to the WCRC Guard, that brake will be on ALL trains now. It used to be Coach K, sometimes used for POTD as the 12th coach. Due to the loading constraints now that will only happen if a Class 8 is available. RTC should be advertising Compartments at a reduced rate in my opinion for those who don't mind the inconvenience of being stuck in one for up to 12 hours. I asked for seats in a TSO and they didn't even have the courtesy to contact me beforehand to say only compartments were available which I would not have accepted. Passengers sadly come last these days. Seriously worried about the Duchys. Show Pony steam over the South Devon banks is a depressing thought.

You heard anything about the situation re St Blazey Turntable Ralph? or anyone else? Possibly foolishly booked on the first one. Still can always hop over to the TBE if a diesel is on the rear which it will no doubt be if diesel haulage between Plymouth and Par is needed.

782sirbrian and banana patch like this.
  15. 83B

83B Member

Not quite "game, set and match". Hot Spot suggests the ball was out!!
    Yes, things are different now and yet there is simply no consistency and this is what winds up the steam fraternity. If it is said that a diesel in needed for insurance, then why does Tornado run from London to York, one of the busiest routes in the UK, without a diesel? Why have many tours recently not had a diesel hanging off the back pushing like there is no tomorrow in some cases? Why do almost 100% of Belmond Pullman train now run with a diesel on the back? No doubt the Torbay Express trains will run through the season without a diesel (fire risk permitting) and yet this is on a busy mainline to the West Country. And so, it is because of these inconsistencies, that both surprise and disappoint us depending on your point of view.

16. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

The Belmond Pullman doesn't always run with a diesel on the back, I think it's there just for train heating, the last one I saw in May was steam only.

17. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

The British Pullman or whatever it's called this week, lets be honest, most people book that for the experience rather than worry what's hanging off the back.

Bob Meanley is certainly right that things are getting harder, you don't need to be a genius to work that one out, but as others have said it's the inconsistencies that irk, if you operationally need a diesel, fine, not everywhere has run round loops or servicing points anymore, we accept that if heading to certain destinations and book accordingly, but when WCRC turn up with a 47 tailgunner shoving like hell, yet DBC don't...., I was on 46100 to Holyhead the other week as DBC operation, the Scot did all the shunting and turning there no fuss, unless your going into Llandudno Town, I see very little reason for diesels on the coast for one, and it's not like the nearest DBC 66 is likely to be any nearer than Chester either.

If your in a situation where your loco can't meet the path with the load and gradient without assistance, I think you should be asking are you trying to attempt too much rather than just saying sod it and 47ing everywhere.

This remains my only steam run in 2016 and could end up being the only one, due to a lack of faith in some WCRC operations running as advertised/believed, and a rather dull and uninspiring programme from a couple of promoters.

And that's just steam tours, consider yourself lucky you haven't have the "pleasure" of the Riveira Air Con rake being chucked out on some tours this year!.

18. buseng

Retired
    I sure the 'Pullman has it's own generator coach, a converted BG I believe.

19. buseng

Retired
    Despite the fact I get hung drawn & quartered everytime I mention "things" on the back (especially when they shove 99.9% of the trip), it seems a lot of people are now getting fed up with it & are now starting to vote with their feet. ie not booking.
    As said it seems to be a WCRC issue more than anything, DBC do it far less if at all.

20. Shed9C

Shed9C New Member

Probably not relevant, but I gather from speaking to a number of P&D footplate staff recently that they don't rate the performance of Bulleids very highly over their route... o_O