If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Jamessquared, Feb 16, 2013.

1. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    That must be a rough riding loco @Steve !

green five and Spitfire like this.
  2. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    No, but at its most efficient. Work done is independent of speed, in any case.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    Chris86 and flying scotsman123 like this.
  3. WesternRegionHampshireman

WesternRegionHampshireman Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    You mean 4-6-0 right?
    But I get what you mean, but still, it's not what I would consider to be a Branch Line engine.

However, I am still going to attend, perhaps a half Southern/Welsh theme maybe? The 4 tank being the intertwining?

4. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    The extra wheel was obviously for the inbuilt dynamometer drive for recording time against distance travelled. ;)

5. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

Are you quite sure that gives a reliable reading? Do you not find that it is has a tendency to exaggerate speed downhill?

Steve likes this.
  6. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Only on small hillocks in Lincolnshire.

35B and Bluenosejohn like this.
  7. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, technical and vehicle trainer
    Just out of curiosity I was wondering if any of the Bluebell folk know how the Q ended up with the std 4 chimney arrangement?

I was looking through some pictures earlier and found a picture of it with the Bulleid/Lemaitre chimney at Barry- was this unable to be reused, or was it just felt that the Std 4 arrangement was a significant improvement?

Thankyou in advance

Chris

8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Quick note about services for this week:

Thursday 28 - Saturday 30 December
    2 train, 4 departure service (+ SteamLights)
    Locos: No. 6989 (A / SteamLights); No. 65 (B)
    Sunday 31 December
    2 train, 4 departure service (+ SteamLights + Golden Arrow Lunchtime)
    Locos: No 80151 (A); No. 65 (B); No. 6989 (GAL / SL)
    Monday 1st January 2024
    3 Train + Good strain
    Locos: Nos. 6989, 34059, 72 (passenger trains); No. 65 (Goods)
    See: https://www.bluebell-railway.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Bluebell-Railway-New-Years-Steam-TT-.pdf
    Carriage sets are I believe:
    Set A / Steamlights: Mostly Mark 1s + Van
    Set B - Obo + LSWR brake + Brighton bogie 1st + 100 seater + 3 LCDR four wheelers

For Jan 1st, the same except Fenchurch takes the Obo on its own.

Tom

The Gricing Owl likes this.
  9. RichardSalmon

RichardSalmon New Member

Engineer
    Chris86 likes this.
  10. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Some places need something with a bit of extra grunt to pull those things called buffet cars about, FFS Paul, if you have the answers then every traffic manager from Wotten to Wick would like to hear them.
    Here we go Paul, what would you like (within reason) as a visitor for the Bluebell’s branch line weekend? Bear in mind this seems a recperical deal

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
    OldSchoolTrains2 likes this.
  11. Paulthehitch

Paulthehitch Well-Known Member

If there is a refreshment facility at a convenient station there is no need for a buffet car.

12. Cuckoo Line

Cuckoo Line Member

If you look at the branch line Polegate to Hailsham you could have anything between a Terrier and a Battle of Britain/WC pulling a 2 coach train !

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Paul42, Dan Hill and Spitfire like this.
  13. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Not that old chestnut, my children would disagree with you when for example on the SVR they’ve decided they want a snack but we have already left Kidderminster on our way to Bridgnorth then I challenge you to deal with their moaning when I say it’s okay, in an hour or so we will be in Bridgnorth where you can get something!!! Alternatively I can just head to the buffet car and buy something which stops the moaning in its tracks & they find it exciting too, adding to the experience. Maybe on smaller lines not an issue but it is on longer lines.

14. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Well it was very careless of the SVR to end up 16 miles long, obviously the solution is to magically make all lines shorter... :rolleyes:

15. The Gricing Owl

The Gricing Owl Member

Thanks for that detail Tom.

In view of the short time between the end of Steam Lights and the operation of that coaching set (A/Steam Lights) is it likely that set A will still have the Steam Lights event lighting on it for the 1st January event? I do appreciate that staff/volunteers will be in need of a well earned break after all the hard work in running what I hope have been financially successful Santa and Steam Lights events for the Bluebell.

Bryan

16. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

A bit closer to you Alex I always enjoyed the buffet car at the GWSR, when it launched in 1993 I was 11 & they ran to Gretton, so around 4 miles but you couldn’t get off of course so it was an 8 mile trip, was an integral part of any visit, indeed I’m not sure my Grandad would have coped half as well without the tea supply on our endless visits (even if it was the dreaded MaxPax at the start :eek:). Then the railway inconsiderately decided to extend several times and also started using ever bigger engines as big chufferitis set in (I’m sure Cadbury or the Peckett could have easily handled 8 coaches on the railway as it is today :D ).

As the railway expanded the silly people in charge decided to expand the catering options and start offering Bacon rolls and Tea cakes (wonder how many they’ve sold over the years despite being unnecessary?). By the time Broadway was reached I was a fair bit older but I can still remember to this day the excitement of my two on discovering bacon rolls were available on the train!!! Certainly for our family several generations of us have enjoyed 30 years of the on train catering services and I could ask any of them and I know they would say it definitely enhanced their experience.

As for all this moaning about 7812 visiting the branch line gala (to get back on Bluebell related stuff on its topic), I grew up living near the old Tewkesbury station. The last engine to work over the branch was 7808 Cookham Manor on the branch goods from Ashchurch, so even if you are arguing it’s too big for a branch line working, manor’s certainly did undertake some very branch line workings towards the end of steam in the Gloucester area so it’s appropriate branch line power in my book!!!

Has a manor ever visited before? I don’t recall one so a good guest IMO.

17. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    On that last note, a Manor hasn't visited the Bluebell before, although I think 7822 has visited the KESR a few years back.

Off the top of my head the previous visiting GWR locos have been 6989 (on loan until Late 2024), 3440, 3205, 3650, 5199 (extended loan), 4561, 5521 (extended loan), 5643 (extended loan), 813 and 1450.

green five and Pete Thornhill like this.
  18. Jamessquared

There's a SteamLights on New Year's Eve I think, so almost certainly the lights will still be on the carriages on New Year's Day.

80151 gets repainted in the new year :)

Tom

Nick C and The Gricing Owl like this.
  19. Paulthehitch

Paulthehitch Well-Known Member

The big three. Over-extension, Big chufferitis and now Covid-19.

20. Jamessquared

A little while ago I compiled this list of visiting locos, which runs to at least 106 steam locos - but no Manor before.

There's a few missing from gala and film visitors that I have noted below; I think I missed them because the mileage may not have been recorded in the annual mileage stats.

Some caveats:
    • I only included steam
    • Only locos that actually ran in revenue traffic are included. So for example, the Taff Vale 0-6-2T that came for Branch Line Weekend 2020 isn't on the list as it never ran, even though it spent six months in the loco shed. Likewise Jinty 47493 that came but was failed on arrival.
    • I haven't got good records about various "Thomas" and "Percy" locos, so there may be some additional ones there, i.e. different specific locos.
    • There was some debate on Facebook about the Caledonian Single 123 and T9 No. 120. They came as far as Horsted Keynes on an incoming rail tour in 1963, but at that time Horsted Keynes wasn't in Bluebell possession - it was still owned by BR. They didn't (as far as I am aware) venture south, but instead went off to Brighton for servicing. So I haven't included them, but arguably you could.
    • I've split the list into "home fleet", "long term visitors" (i.e. bought in for traffic purposes); "gala visitors"; "rail tours, filming etc.". Where a loco has visited several times under different categories, it is only included once - examples include the GNR J52 (came on a rail tour in the 1960s then subsequently as a gala visitor); Furness Railway No. 20 (came as a gala visitor and then for a specific filming contract); "Tornado" (came on a rail tour and also a gala visitor).
    • Missing off the list: "Maude" (should be in the "filming" section); "Martello" (not sure why I missed that); "Invincible" (in the gala section).
    Corrections welcome.

Tom

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023