If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Jamessquared, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Johnb

Johnb Resident of Nat Pres

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I’ll second that, a really friendly lot.

S.A.C. Martin and Mark Thompson like this.
  2. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

An update on the Jewel in the Crown appeal (see The Bluebell Times, issue 25) was posted on Facebook - currently showing at £449,373, and an estimated additional £22,305 that can be reclaimed from Gift Aid.

If I have back-calculated correctly, it means that there is still about another £45,000 of match funding available for any donations made before 31 January next year. You can donate here: https://www.bluebell-railway.com/make-a-donation/

Tom

Johnme101 and brmp201 like this.
  3. 45669

45669 Member

Retired
    A bit more of my footage from the Bluebell Railway can be seen on YouTube if anyone's interested to have a look:

Still more in the pipeline. (Yawn!!)

TTFN,

Ron.

4. Jamessquared

I'm sorry to say that Ray Bellingham, chairman and chief engineer of the Maunsell Locomotive Society, passed away last week. He was 90.

He had led the restoration of three ex-Barry locomotives (541, 847 and 1638) as well as concluding the restoration of 1618, the second loco out of Barry. More recently, he had overseen the overhaul of 847 for its second period in traffic, and was doing the same for No. 928 'Stowe'. 1638 had been considered something of a lost cause when it came out of Barry, missing a tender, most of its motion and with a poor condition boiler, so its return in 2006 was something of a triumph: the restoration received the HRA John Coiley award for locomotive projects in 2006.

Ray had also led the fundraising needed to purchase 'Stowe' in 2000, and under his chairmanship, the MLS had raised £400,000 in the last ten years for locomotive projects. He was awarded the National Transport Trust – Lifetime Achievement Award in 2018, in recognition of his contribution to the railway preservation movement.

My condolences go out to his family and friends. There will be, I believe, a full obituary in the next issue of Bluebell News in January.

Tom

5. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    RIP, Ray. A huge contribution to the preservation movement, and such a desperate shame that he didn't live to see Stowe return to traffic in all its glory.

A1X and Jamessquared like this.
  6. RLinkinS

RLinkinS Member

I am very sorry to hear about Ray Bellingham. I was in awe of his contribution towards the preservation of Maunsell locos. RIP Ray.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Jamessquared likes this.
  7. Jamessquared