If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Battlefield line

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by triumphman, Apr 13, 2018.

1. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Unfortunately, but perhaps not unexpectedly, it has been confirmed that 6880 will not be ready in time to participate at the Winter Warmer Gala. The loco will still come to Shackerstone for testing and running in, but this will be after the gala. The railway are in the process of securing a replacement for the event
    https://www.facebook.com/shackerstoneshentonmarketbosworth/posts/686614326968677

2. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    I did think it was rather optimistic, but hey ho at least the finishing lines in sight.

3. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

Great to see them starting to return events that haven't happend for a while. Things appear to be looking up.

4. ruddingtonrsh56

I'm a little late on the updates here, but 78018 has been confirmed as the final attendee with thanks to the GCR, Loughborough Standard Loco group and Darlington Railway Preservation Society. This marks the return of 78018 to the railway she arrived to as a Barry Wreck in the 1970s before being moved on to pastures new.
    The timetable, as well as the timetable for a free bus linking between Nuneaton and Hinckley with Market Bosworth (or Shackerstone after the last train on Saturday) is now available at https://www.battlefieldline.co.uk/winter-gala. Tickets are only available on the day due to updates going on with the railway's online ticketing system, so you may wish to arrive in plenty of time to beat the queues! I'll be firing 5199 on the Saturday so do come and say hi! Hope to see you there :)

LittleRedTrain likes this.
  5. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

Well whatever they're doing their doing it extremely well. Having seen numerous comments on facebook from people that attended the recent steam gala.

It would seem folks are full of praise for the battlefield railway, particularly amazing to see were comments about how friendly & helpful all the staff were.

Plus it seems people really enjoyed the gala too, a return visit is deffo on the cards for me. So well done to battlefield, things have turned a corner & the future looks very promising indeed.

6. alexl102

alexl102 Member

Great news. I’d really like to visit soon. Hopefully they’ll be able to get sorted with a resident steam locomotive too to save them having to hire in something every year.

7. ruddingtonrsh56

The latest Heritage Railway Magazine has a report of the 'best ever' winter gala which also includes a sneaky note that (of course subject to successful completion in time) 6880 Betton Grange will be hauling her first public trains at Shackerstone on March 9&10

jonh likes this.
  8. ruddingtonrsh56

Post on facebook confirming that 5199 has returned to Shackerstone after her trip to Didcot and is due for some repairs to hopefully enable an extension to her boiler ticket (I believe the target is currently an extension through to the end of August). So all being well she will be taking steam turns for the next few months - https://www.facebook.com/shackerstoneshentonmarketbosworth/posts/713113664318743
    Also contrary to the indication in Heritage Railway Magazine referenced in my previous post, Betton Grange will not be hauling her first public trains this coming weekend, and there will be no services as over-running engineering works have pushed the start of the season back to the weekend of 16/17 March. First steam services (subject to 5199's successful boiler repairs) will be over the Easter weekend

9. ruddingtonrsh56

Although they weren't complete in time for Easter, 5199's boiler repairs were sufficient to grant an extension through to October, which she will work out at Shackerstone. She ran the services today and as her fireman I can confirm that she was in great shape (and voice!!)