If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6201, her new lease of life.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Sidmouth, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Flying Scotsman just had a week on the Bluebell during which by my reckoning over 11,000 people were able to travel behind her, and in the following week hundreds more had the opportunity to walk through the corridor tender and spend time on the footplate. That’s a level of access in a week or so that would put to shame what most mainline locos achieve in a year.

Tom

2. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    The interesting bit here is of the locos involved in the 1952 Harrow & Wealdstone collision (apart from the Fowler 2-6-4 tank loco which emerged unscathed), 46202 was the least damaged but got scrapped, yet the heavily damaged "Duchess" 46242 got repaired. A bit of politics on Riddles part to justify the building 71000 as a substitute, perchance?

3. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    I personally think 60103 has set a high bar of access in its current period of mainline operation. Totally with you there Tom.

(I just wish they'd painted it apple green for the centenary, but never mind!)

4. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    I tend to agree that to the masses there is anything "special" about 6201. The general public's awareness of steam locos seem to revolve around FS and to a much lesser extent Tornado (I guess because of various TV programmes).
    I few the NB opertion and Belmond very much like the Concorde operation at BA (and to a lesser extent Air France). A very premium, somewhat unique service that needs to be supported at perhaps an normally unrealistic cost to the operation of other services, and may take an inordinate amount of time.( For info we worked out once we spent 60% of our supply chain time supporting those 7 SST's, crazy really).
    If NB want to operate a steam option then this year has shown (like Belmond) that only having one loco does not cut it. Without knowing, or having any right to know the contractual arrangements over 6201, if WCRC are investing sums of money in overhauling it then it will be likely to be for, in the first instance, the NB operation. Would it be likely to be used on an occasional basis on other WCRC operated trains maybe, (as has Tangmere at least once) but a pool of two air braked locos in my view would logically be kept with the primary motive of supporting your premium operation. Not much point in having two locos and the rostered one hits an issue and the other one is on another trip or sitting in West London.

5. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    Apparently, Riddles had no authority to build 71000 but he hoped one of the Regions would take it into stock to allow post-dated authorisation. This didn't happen so 6202 was withdrawn , thereby creating a gap in the LMR allocations which 71000 could fill. 6202 was withdrawn only a week or so before 71000 entered traffic.

staffordian likes this.
  6. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    So for a Northern Belle Steam Loco. What are we looking for;
    Power ? although a tailgunner is almost certainly going to be used - a std 4 isnt going to cut it
    Reliability? maximum chance of it being available and not sitting down on the job... (wouldnt have thought a museum piece would be ideal but that can be mitigated by a comprehensive overhaul, and an over the top regime of checks and maintenance, between the minimum of assigned duties)
    Big and Shiny and looks the part ( so lots of cleaning, no faded pink paint)
    Name - ideally with some cache ( not bad on that score)
    Goes chuff and all that ( shame about that awful hooter)

Fingers crossed.

7. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Looks like the WCR fleet expansion may not be over yet - but what is out there that is suitable to buy, assuming it's fore sale or lease?

8. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Had an admittedly brief scan of the piece in Trackside today, IIRC it suggested the society have raised c.£100k towards the overhaul?

9. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    I saw that but it’s not a lot when it comes to the cost of an overhaul

green five and Kje7812 like this.
  10. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Why don't West coast just fit bill and scots guardsman with air control valves and the equipment to control an air braked train with the 57 providing the air?

26D_M likes this.
  11. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Shush with the workarounds - a Steam loco is getting overhauled on the back of this !

12. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

But who is paying, and at what price, David Smith we know has a thing for LMS motive power, I would not be surprised if at the end of the overhaul, 46201 becomes an West coast owned engine, in payment for what the society owe west coast, if not outright, certainly west coast could have an majority shareholding, it would certainly be the crown in west coasts collection. and it might mean the end of the" one mans engine " problem that the society has, as if it joins the west coast stable, it will become owned by one of the various trusts that protect the collection. that might be the best way to ensure the engines future.

Gav106 and Spinner like this.
  13. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

There you go again with your complicated conspiracy theories! Why can't there be a simple "you overhaul it and you can have exclusive use of it for 10 years" agreement? It's not unprecedented - think Ian Riley and 45212. It would be a lot simpler! If there was any suggestion, or even risk, of the PELS relinquishing ownership, even in part, surely the membership would have heard of it by now?

alts1985, osprey, Johnme101 and 8 others like this.
  14. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    I made this point earlier, it’s not uncommon on heritage railways

15. J Shuttleworth

J Shuttleworth Member

6201 is owned by the Society and decisions about overhaul, operations, paint, headboards etc is theirs and theirs alone - as it always has been. The Society has raised a not insignificant sum of money and the overhaul can start in earnest.

Once again, I really think one or two of you should think very carefully, before hitting 'Return', as you don't do yourselves or the target of your daft conspiracy theories any favours at all.

JS

16. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Given an owning body which, for whatever good or bad reasons, has been unable to get the loco returned to working order, let's be grateful for whatever the deal may be.

green five, jsm8b, mgl and 5 others like this.
  17. Spinner

Spinner Member

Public Servant
    34073?

18. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

34016? FWIW coming past Carnforth on Monday 34073 was where she always is, albeit I note the frames do have a boiler on again...

19. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

To be fair Jimmy Baby, the organisation that you work for does have a bit of previous for being how shall we put this? Being a little bit ‘economical with the truth?’ As I’m sure the ORR will testify.
    Even you with your prep school education can maybe understand why there’s some speculation regarding 6201.

20. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

6201 is a big loco and can haul air braked trains. In that context it is a really useful engine for the main line so it's not surprising that a main line operator would have an interest in it.

Don't see the problem.