If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

35028 Clan Line

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Big Al, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Johnb

Johnb Resident of Nat Pres

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    An overhaul is scheduled and plans can be made for an another suitable engine to deputise, in 2015/17 it was Tornado. The current problems with the Syphons was unforeseen and it’s unfortunate that no other DB registered loco is available. The intermediate overhaul taking place at the same time was scheduled for this time of year when the loco is normally stopped for winter maintenance. It would probably take just as long to change a boiler than do the work currently being undertaken. The intermediate overhaul extends the mainline certification to 10 years.
    If you want to know more of what’s involved, join the society and join us at Stewart’s Lane, I’m sure you will be made very welcome.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023 at 12:10 PM
  2. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    Just to echo John's excellent point - we are always looking for new members who are enthusiastic about the cause. You will find a very good bunch of people in Stewart's Lane during the week and on a Saturday.

The amount of work that goes into '28 behind the scenes is exceptional and isn't just at the coal face either, we have committee members working all over the country and in different roles in order to bring together all the necessary aspects of our operation.

3. acorb

acorb Well-Known Member

I'll just point out that the owners of 7802 have acquired a third loco recently (5164), whilst both 7812 and 7802 were out of service! The argument put forward was that once both manors were back in service they would have a third loco to work on. This would keep volunteers motivated and to try and time 5164's return to service when both manors would now be withdrawn in fairly quick succession. This would maintain an income stream into the mid 2030s when both manors would require overhaul.
    Granted in this case day to day maintenance is undertaken by the SVR, so quite a different set up to 35028, but shows some owning groups see logic in running multiple locomotives.
    Southern Locomotives Ltd also have a similar model.

4. Johnb

Johnb Resident of Nat Pres

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Owning locos that only run on heritage lines where others are responsible for their day to day maintenance and running is a world away from the demands of keeping a large mainline engine and support coach match fit for running on NR.

David Mowat and S.A.C. Martin like this.
  5. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer