If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

2023 February Half-Term operations

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by bluetrain, Jan 24, 2023 at 2:18 PM.

1. bluetrain

bluetrain Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If my memory of pre-pandemic days is correct, many if not most heritage railways used to operate during the February half-term week.

But having had a look to see where I might visit in February this year, very few railways seem to be planning to operate. The only ones near to me are the Avon Valley Rly at Bitton and Didcot Rly Centre. Further afield, I noted South Devon, Swanage, Bluebell & KESR.

Any others? I assume that the lack of February running is partly due to general retrenchment and partly to allow more time for winter maintenance work.

2. acorb

acorb Well-Known Member

Certainly the case with the SVR, line will be severed at both Highley and Bridgnorth for major works.

Great Central usually runs services in winter, but I know they have bridge replacement works planned, so will be worth checking.

3. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Churnet Valley are doing Kids for a Quid Mon - Thu, and the standard Green TT that we've become accustomed to on both Sundays.

Bit of a trial, we've done Kids for a Quid at Feb Half Term most years since 2015(?), though this is the first time we've tested 4x days. We've got similar planned for Whitsun & Summer holidays, just to see if the cheaper option generates interest amongst those struggling bu who'd still like to ride a steam train.

4. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Well-Known Member

The GCR are open at weekends plus Feb half term I believe. They close Loughborough and Quorn, Feb 24th to March 24th, for the two bridges either side of Quorn to be replaced, However they will be still operating Leicester North, Rothley and Mountsorrel branch during that period with DMU sets.

5. Robert F

Robert F New Member

Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway running 5 round trips a day (Green timetable) from Wednesday 15th to Wednesday 22nd February. (AIUI Different northern education authorities have chosen different weeks for half term so this covers part of both.) I believe the timetable for the rest of the year is not far off. (Sorry, Bluetrain - probably too far north!)

6. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

South Devon isn't running any train services over Feb HT, just says loco in steam and train rides, probably a shuttle in/out of Buckfastleigh station.

7. Spitfire

Spitfire New Member

8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

The Bluebell is running 11 - 19 February and 25/26 February. Due to engineering works north of Horsted Keynes, it is restricted to Sheffield Park - Horsted Keynes only, at a reduced fare. Kids for a quid over half term.

Tom

9. 21B

21B Well-Known Member

It isn’t yet on the website, but the roster suggests that the Watercress Line is operating that week

10. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Bodmin and Wenford say they are reopening on 12th February, but I have not yet been able to get running dates.