If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Zillertalbahn No.4 - 'Castle Caereinion'

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by GHWood, Dec 17, 2009.

1. GHWood

GHWood Member

I have doing a bit of research about the Zillertalbahn and came across pictures of a tender tank loco on the web ( http://www.narrow-gauge.co.uk/gallery/show.php?image_id=1026&cat_id=137 ) which was obviously named when the line was twinned with the Welshpool & Llanfair which seems to have disappeared (and replaced with a tender loco on loan from a railway somewhere in Eastern Europe).

Does anyone know what happened to the original no 4? Does it still exist or was it cut up?

Similarly, does anyone know when number 1 was withdrawn? Did it ever leave the railway (I'm sure I read in an LGB catalogue that it had been cut up but I've now found pics of it at Jenbach ( http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/pcat/440067/display/10181712 )

Thanks!

2. PiliPili

PiliPili New Member

I remember seeing No. 4 in the shed around the mid eighties. A beautiful engine, that I was very sad to see replaced by the current No. 4. There was an earlier No.4 of course, an 0-4-2 or 2-4-0 IIRC.

The No.4 you refer to came from the SKGLB I believe, but I can't remember what happened to her. She must have left around the end of the eighties, early nineties.

No.1 left during the seventies and moved to the Innsbruck Transport Museum. I assume it's still there.

Pil

3. Achar2001

Achar2001 New Member

Motoring and Rail Journalist and Editor
    Curiously the current edition of our W&LLR Journal carries a feature on Castle Caereinion by our member (and NatPres forum member) Gareth Houghton. Apparently from 1974 the engine was leased to operate the Bregenzerwaldbahn, returning to the Ziller in 1980 where it was later renamed "Aquarius C". It had boiler work in the mid 80s and from 86 to 88 operated on the Jagstalbahn in Germany. Boiler damage then relegated it to a static exhibit at the German Technical Museum in Berlin until 1995. Then it was restored in the Deutche Bahn workshops to operate on the Baltic island of Rugen, where apparently it remains today.

A well-travelled loco!

Cheers

Andrew C
    Press Officer
    Welshpool & Llanfair Light Raiway

4. GHWood

GHWood Member

Thanks for the information. Managed to find that copy of the WLLR journal and the article in question makes really interesting reading. I didn't realise the ties between the WLLR and Zillertalbahn were so close in the past e.g. helping prevent the Zillertalbahn's closure, instigating the naming of the locos etc.

Glad to know one of the 'Castle Caereinion' name plates off the 'old' number 4 is now with the WLLR. Would make a nice name for the 'new' Resita loco perhaps?

Does anyone know if there is a good book (preferably in English) on the history of the Zillertalbahn?

5. GHWood

GHWood Member

From the pictures I can find on the net, I think it is back at the Zillertalbahn and on display outside at Jenbach. Does anyone know when it was withdrawn from service?

On another note, are the spark arrestors on the chimneys of numbers 1 and 2 detachable? I've seen pictures of both of them with and without them.

6. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    I saw AQUARIUS C at Putbus on the Island of Rügen when I went there in December, 2003.

Since then the line has changed hands and some of the stock has moved away; AQUARIUS C might be one of them.

Here's a link to the picture of the loco that I took in 2003 :

http://ronfisher.fotopic.net/p47022761.html

7. 45669

Retired
    A P.S. to my previous message. I have posed the question of AQUARIUS C's current whereabouts on the 'Eisenbahn Romantik' and 'Drehscheibe' Forums. Someone there is bound to know.

I'll let you know when I get a reply.

8. 45669

Retired
    A couple of correspondents on 'Drehscheibe' have confirmed that AQUARIUS C is still on Rügen. It passed to the Pressnitzbahn when they took over the Rügensche Kleinbahn.

9. 45669

Retired
  10. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Interesting, the Zillertalbann is 760mm gauge whereas the Rügensche Kleinbahn is 750mm gauge, did the loco need re-gauging or is this within tolerance?

Phil

11. GHWood

GHWood Member

The article in the WLLR journal says that number 4/ Aquarius C is/ was 're-gaugeable'. Not entirely sure what would be required to do it but must be (relatively speaking) fairly straight forward.

12. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    European narrow-gauge, especially of the German, Austrian, Poland etc nature fascinates me. It really has the feel of a narrow gauge mainline rather then our 'quaintness' if you pardon the word.

Would like to see it all one day...probably never will

13. CarlGhega

CarlGhega New Member

by accident i fell to your page and your questions when I looked for informaitons concerning that locomotive. and it is always a pleasure to see people interested in the railways of my home-country.

she is a locomotive of the german Wehrmacht form WWII, constructed by Borsig (Berlin), left in Austria as manny other materials in 1945, original gauge as all provisorious railways of the german army : 750mm.

she passed some years at the Salzkammergutlokalbahn between Salzburg and Bad Ischl and was sold to the Zillertalbahn when she was closed. As all german war-locos in austria the axes were changed for the 760mm-gague. Now she is back to Germany (Rügen) and of course they had no technical problems to change back to 750mm.

Nowadays Zillertal 4 is much more interesting, a locomotive series 83 (0-8-2) from the Austrian-Hungarian network in Bosnia as locomotive for goods trains, constructed at Linz, Austria (Branch of Krauss, Munich) in 1909, means 30 years before the Borsig. with 52 metric tons she is a realy heavy deauty engine, especially for this kind of gague and worked not only for the steamtrains but also as locomotive for goods trains in the eighties and nienties at the Zillertalbahn.

the owner of the locomotive is the CLUB760 an assocation for conserving material of 760mm gague (which was typical for austria-hungary). This club is also owner of an express-locomotive constructed in budapest in the years 1900, which is restaurated now and should be set on duty next year at the neghbour line in the Pinzgau. with her maximum speed of 60km/hour she is a really fast one (despite the train from belgrade via sarajevo to dubrovnik took something like 36 hours).

I do not know if you know the ancient Austrian-Hungarian railway network of bosnia, which kept running in Yugoslavia afterwards until the 70ies, but there is a superbe site in english language by david sallery:
    http://www.penmorfa.com/JZ/

the drawing on the top of the start-page is a 83

14. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi Carl, welcome to the forum, and thank you for the information, it all helps to fill in the gaps...

15. ARGeditor

ARGeditor New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Hello, The Austrian Railway Group produce an A5 book about Jenbach station, which is the northern terminus of the Zillertalbahn. There's a whole section about the ZB, and also about the Achenseebahn (AB) which runs from the opposite side of the same station. Jenbach is very unusual in having tracks of three gauges (760mm "Bosnian Gauge", 1435mm standard gauge and 1000mm Achenseebahn). The AB also has a rack section from beside its own loco shed to the second station, Eben, and is, currently, 100% passenger steam worked. The book can be bought online, from http://www.austrianrailwaygroup.co.uk/library.shtml#Centres

Stephen