If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

YouTube Upload Prevention

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Orion, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I can't now find the thread, but in a recent thread there was mention of a YouTube uploader. Now it seems to me that the use of this uploader is a very convenient way of pirating videos on YouTube.

There are two possible ways of preventing this, one is to put a copyright message on the video, a message which last for the entire length of the video, and the other is to prevent other YouTube users using the download facility.

Is there a way of preventing other YouTube users from downloading my videos?

Regards

2. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

The short answer is NO.
    The longer answer is NO, not yet!

3. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Thank you Bill

Regards

4. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Er, am I missing something here? You want to put your videos on a public website, but you don't want others to see them?

5. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    You are indeed missing the point. Downloading in this context is downloading a video from YouTube to the users own computer HDD. Once it is on the user's own computer HDD the video can then be re-processed and made to appear is if it is the downloader's own work, ie he has pirated the video.

At present the only way this can be prevented is to put a copyright notice on the video that lasts for the entire length of the video. This makes for tedious viewing for the honest YouTube user.

Regards

6. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I mentioned the downloader, the object being to download to your PC then get a smoother playback, particularly with an HD clip where the PC's processing capabilities could not cope with the downloading and playing at the same time.
    I know some people seem to get perverted pleasure from passing material off as their own, I have seen mine on other sites with someone else taking the credit. In these cases I have just commented on the fact that it is not theirs so that future views are aware of that.